Overall rating and opinion of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas

Use this forum to discuss the September 2020 Book of the month, " "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas.
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Clare Jose »

I felt that Kalayla was a lovely book. I loved how the story was written in such a way that, the reader could view the happenings of the book from three different perspectives. I think it's an amazing book about how family doesn't always have to be blood and how people can always change just so long as they want to. I would happily rate the book 4 out of 4 stars.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Smriti Sawal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smriti-sawal.html
Latest Review: My Living Will by John Trautwein
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Smriti Sawal »

I felt that the storyline was really gripping and the author tried to cover a lot of social issues such as bi racial marriages, domestic violence and racism but because the author has tried to cover so many issues in one book, it kind of leaves the reader wanting more for the specifics. Also, the writing style is very rushed in my opinion and the book wasn't very well edited leaving behind errors. Story wise, it was a very good read.
Zandile Molle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zandile-molle.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Zandile Molle »

It's a good book. Kaylala herself is quite likeable and I had a clear picture of her as a young, feisty and very pretty child. I just wished to meet her!
Linda S 1
Favorite Book: House of Hollow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda-s-1.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Linda S 1 »

I loved the multitude of topics discussed in the book. It's so raw and real. The effects of human interactions were narrated so brilliantly. And I truly believe that one person can alter the life of another person. It was a heartwarming read and I rated it 4 out of 4 stars.
Aniebiet William
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Aniebiet William »

This book portrays a true image of family through selflessness and love.
It is indeed loaded with morals and ofcourse,a way to go about low self esteem.
I loved reading the book,and I still recommend it for all, especially those struggling with some rejection.
Nathaniel Owolabi
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathaniel-owolabi.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nathaniel Owolabi »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. As a matter of fact, it immediately became one of my favorites. Kaylayla is a great book with a very touching storyline and it gets the rating 4 out of 4 stars from me.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

Kalayla is indeed a book of hope, love and forgiveness. The novel has a lot of noteworthy points to grasp. I enjoyed how it included unexpected twists and flavors. Hope has been tacitly laid forth to demonstrate that, despite the dreadful circumstances, there is a glimmer of oncoming sunshine, that, at the end of the day, forgiveness always prevails and love always matters. The author knows exactly what words to use to make it enticing to read and retain. While reading, the different points of view of the main characters and the cast made me feel their feelings and emotions. However, I noticed a few minor errors. Overall, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.
Linda S 1
Favorite Book: House of Hollow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linda-s-1.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by Linda S 1 »

I loved the book so much. The values and lessons embedded in the story gave it a magical touch. I gave it 4 out of 4 stars and would recommend it to anybody who loves reading.
Mrunal Tikekar
Currently Reading: Heartquake
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunal-tikekar.html
Latest Review: Send Her Back and Other Stories by Munashe Kaseke

Post by Mrunal Tikekar »

Lot of grammatical errors, unnecessary profanity, undefined characters, and choppy dialogues. This was not a book I enjoyed. The summary was rather nice but the execution of the story was extremely poor.
Kanchan Bhil
Currently Reading: That Guy What Kill Topsy
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanchan-bhil.html
Latest Review: Karmic Selling by Stan Gwizdak

Post by Kanchan Bhil »

I loved every character of this book. The boldness and braveness of Kalayla. Even though she is rude at times and has no control over her mouth, she has a good heart. I loved how the ladies of the book took care of each other. They stood up for each other and loved each other. On the other hand, I felt that the book ended abruptly. I was hoping for a really good ending for such a great book, but I was disappointed at the end. I rated it four out of four stars because the book stayed with me. I would be thinking about this book for a long time.
Kristin Hurley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristin-hurley.html
Latest Review: The Futility of Vengeance by Adam Guest

Post by Kristin Hurley »

I can't say enough good things about this book. I thought the characters were so unique that I'd never read anything with characters like these before, especially Lena and Maureen. I thought I wouldn't like how each chapter had the name of the character speaking, but a few chapters in I understood why the author did that, and by the middle of the book I didn't need it; the characters' voices each had their own mannerisms in speaking. My only (minor) issue was with the year in which it was set. It's shown to be between 1999 and 2000, and the use of cell phones in the book wasn't consistent with that time period. Very few people over 70, like Lena, even had a cell phone at that time, much less knew how to use it. And at that time, for a kid to have a cell phone was rare. The story could easily have been set in today's times. Other than those two small problems, though, I loved this book and gave it 4 out of 4 stars. I have already recommended it to many friends who also enjoyed it.
Grace McHardy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-mchardy.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Grace McHardy »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. I would rate it 4 stars as the characters were likable and not one-dimensional. Kalayla was a brat at times, but that would be expected from a young girl. Each character had their own problems and those problems guided their decisions throughout the book. All in all, it was a great read.
Tayyaba Rehman
Currently Reading: The Last Letter From Your Lover
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B07Z4681LQ

Post by Tayyaba Rehman »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Kalayla and I loved how Nicholas dealt with each of the characters quite carefully. There's a lot of issues that the author covers in this novel especially race and marriage. Lena was by far my favorite. I appreciated her affection towards Kalayla and looked forward to their interactions with each other. Kudos to Jeanni Nicholas for writing an incredible story.
Williams Osaroei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-williams-osaroei.html
Latest Review: No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson

Post by Williams Osaroei »

Kalayla was well portrayed by Jeannie Nicholas. The Vulgarity was not so severe and I loved that.
Jeannie's depiction of Lena's family was what I loved the most. Overall Kalayla is a good novel about family and some of the challenges faced.
BellaGBear
Currently Reading: Ethnography after Humanism
Bookshelf Size: 1567
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellagbear.html
Latest Review: The Great Awakening by Arthur F Seymour

Post by BellaGBear »

I did enjoy the book. but there were also some problems.

The book skips over issues too quickly. Also, the fact that Kalayla is mixed-race was not really addressed, but in an likelihood causes some of her anger issues. It is also strange that she overcomes her anger by getting into Irish dance, and that the grandmother from her fathers side doesn't really have a role in Kalayla's reconciliation with herself.

The book could have used more pages to flesh out the story better. But overal enjoyable as it is anyway.

Return to “Discuss "Kalayla" by Jeannie Nicholas”