Fairy Tales and/or Retellings of Fairy Tales Genre Discussion

For August 2020 we'll be reading Fairy Tale/Retelling of a Fairy Tale.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Fairy Tales and/or Retellings of Fairy Tales Genre Discussion

Post by gali »

This month we will be discussing fairy tales and/or retellings of fairy tales.

Fairy Tale
- "a children's story about magical and imaginary beings and lands."
- "an instance of a folklore genre that takes the form of a short story."

Retelling of a Fairy Tale
- a story that takes a fairy tale and changes plot points, characters, and/or themes, but a reader can still identify the original tale

Here are some guiding questions:
  • What book/tale did you read?
  • Was the story an original fairy tale or a retelling?
  • If it was a retelling, how close was it compared to the original fairy tale?
  • What rating would you give this read?
  • Would you recommend the book you read? Why or why not?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kreads1
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Currently Reading: The Once and Future Witches
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kreads1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by Kreads1 »

I read Sea Witch by Sarah Henning.

This book was a retelling of the story of the Sea Witch from Hans Christian Anderson’s The Little Mermaid.

I loved the writing style of this author and the descriptive nature of the storyline. I was expecting the story to follow that of Anderson’s with moderate variations, but this book really surprised me! There are certainly nods to the original but there are enough variations to make this story of the Sea Witch truly and exciting one. The suspense and twists had me guessing what would happen to the near end of the book, which is usually hard to do.

I gave this book 4 out of 4 stars and I’m looking forward to reading the sequel as well.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Kreads1 wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 17:39 I read Sea Witch by Sarah Henning.

This book was a retelling of the story of the Sea Witch from Hans Christian Anderson’s The Little Mermaid.

I loved the writing style of this author and the descriptive nature of the storyline. I was expecting the story to follow that of Anderson’s with moderate variations, but this book really surprised me! There are certainly nods to the original but there are enough variations to make this story of the Sea Witch truly and exciting one. The suspense and twists had me guessing what would happen to the near end of the book, which is usually hard to do.

I gave this book 4 out of 4 stars and I’m looking forward to reading the sequel as well.
Sounds good! Is it a stand-alone?
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kreads1
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Currently Reading: The Once and Future Witches
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kreads1.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by Kreads1 »

Sounds good! Is it a stand-alone?
It was really good! It’s not a stand-alone though. The second book is Sea Witch Rising. I still need to read it, hoping it’s as good or better then the first.
engarl
Favorite Author: Sarah J. Maas
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-engarl.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
fav_author_id: 2719

Post by engarl »

I read Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George. I am fairly certain that this is a retelling of a fairy tale, rather than an original, because I’ve heard other variations of it before, but they are all pretty similar. There aren’t a lot of plot differences between the myriad versions of this fairy tale and they all stick pretty close to the original story as far as I’m aware.

I would give this book a rating of 4 out of 4. While a fairly short book, it was full of descriptive detail and character points that really gave a depth to the story. I definitely recommend reading this book and the other fairy tale retelling books by Jessica Day George! I love that she takes lesser known fairy tales and adapts them to her books. For example, Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow is based off of a Norwegian fairy tale that slightly resembles beauty and the beast, but with different motivations for the plot. She also writes a novel based on the 12 Dancing Princesses story, called Princess of the Midnight Ball which I also highly recommend!

Return to “August 2020 Genre Discussion”