Fairy tale retellings books

For August 2020 we'll be reading Fairy Tale/Retelling of a Fairy Tale.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Fairy tale retellings books

Post by gali »

I am in the mood for some good fairy tale retellings books, preferably stand-alone books. I have read and loved Cinder by Marissa Meyer, Thorn by Intisar Khanani, Beauty by Robin McKinley, to name a few. Any recommendations? Thank you in advance.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Arina Siaban
Currently Reading: The Course of Empire
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arina-siaban.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B01KWX0EL4

Post by Arina Siaban »

I love retellings too! It's very interesting to see how authors can shape the same "thesis" into different stories and backdrops.
A few I recommend:

- A Blade so Black by L.L. McKinney
- Burning Roses by S.L. Huang
- Cinderella is Dead by Kalynn Bayron
- Forest of a Thousand Lanterns by Julie C. Dao
- Pride by Ibi Zoboi
- Scavenge the Stars by Tara Sim
gali

Post by gali »

Arina Siaban wrote: 05 Jul 2020, 13:03 I love retellings too! It's very interesting to see how authors can shape the same "thesis" into different stories and backdrops.
A few I recommend:

- A Blade so Black by L.L. McKinney
- Burning Roses by S.L. Huang
- Cinderella is Dead by Kalynn Bayron
- Forest of a Thousand Lanterns by Julie C. Dao
- Pride by Ibi Zoboi
- Scavenge the Stars by Tara Sim
Thank you, I will check them out. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
rwalkup
Currently Reading: The Copper Gauntlet
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwalkup.html
Latest Review: E&N Escape by P.N.Holland

Post by rwalkup »

Heartless also by Marissa Meyer is excellent and so is a Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas.
gali

Post by gali »

rwalkup wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 11:56 Heartless also by Marissa Meyer is excellent and so is a Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas.
Thank you. Both books are on my list. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Ceeyena
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ceeyena »

Some of my favorite retellings are by Stephen R Lawhead. Though they are more legend retellings than they are "Fairytale."
I particularly liked "Patrick" about St. Patrick, and "Hood" about Robin Hood. Unfortunately, I can't recall the names of any of the Fairytale retellings I've read. I really like them a lot.
gali

Post by gali »

Ceeyena wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 14:09 Some of my favorite retellings are by Stephen R Lawhead. Though they are more legend retellings than they are "Fairytale."
I particularly liked "Patrick" about St. Patrick, and "Hood" about Robin Hood. Unfortunately, I can't recall the names of any of the Fairytale retellings I've read. I really like them a lot.
Thank you. I prefer Fairytales, but I will check them out. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

audreads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-audreads.html
Latest Review: Tujunga by Carlos Alvarado
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by audreads »

Hi gali!

While I haven't read all of these, these books seem to be incredibly popular and have more positive reviews than negative, so they've ended up on my TBR and may end up on yours, too! Hopefully you find one you like (and haven't already read):

-The Lunar Chronicles Series by Marissa Meyer (Cinder is a retelling of Cinderella, Scarlet is a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, Cress is a retelling of Rapunzel, and Winter is a retelling of Snow White)
-A Curse So Dark And Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer (retelling of Beauty and the Beast and is also becoming a trilogy)
-Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Page (retelling of the Wizard of Oz and is also a series)
-House of Salt and Sorrows by Erin A. Craig (retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses)
-Unbury Carol by Josh Malerman (retelling of Sleeping Beauty)
-The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh (retelling of A Thousand and One Nights)
Adrianna Melillo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Revolutionary Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrianna-melillo.html
Latest Review: Spring Fed by Bill Plyler

Post by Adrianna Melillo »

It’s been a while, but I remember really enjoying Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge (a take on Beauty and the Beast).
gali

Post by gali »

audreads wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 16:46 Hi gali!

While I haven't read all of these, these books seem to be incredibly popular and have more positive reviews than negative, so they've ended up on my TBR and may end up on yours, too! Hopefully you find one you like (and haven't already read):

-The Lunar Chronicles Series by Marissa Meyer (Cinder is a retelling of Cinderella, Scarlet is a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, Cress is a retelling of Rapunzel, and Winter is a retelling of Snow White)
-A Curse So Dark And Lonely by Brigid Kemmerer (retelling of Beauty and the Beast and is also becoming a trilogy)
-Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Page (retelling of the Wizard of Oz and is also a series)
-House of Salt and Sorrows by Erin A. Craig (retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses)
-Unbury Carol by Josh Malerman (retelling of Sleeping Beauty)
-The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh (retelling of A Thousand and One Nights)
Thank you. I read The Lunar Chronicles series and love it. I will check the others. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

gali

Post by gali »

Adrianna Melillo wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 20:43 It’s been a while, but I remember really enjoying Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge (a take on Beauty and the Beast).
Thank you. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

JustineSophia2
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justinesophia2.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by JustineSophia2 »

I would recommend the 100 Kingdoms series by Mercedes Lackey, overall an interesting fairytale representation. The books are well written and fun to read.
- The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go. —Dr. Seuss
gali

Post by gali »

JustineSophia2 wrote: 18 Jul 2020, 16:46 I would recommend the 100 Kingdoms series by Mercedes Lackey, overall an interesting fairytale representation. The books are well written and fun to read.
Thank you, I will check them out. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

‘Stepsister’ by Jennifer Donnelly is a good one, and I also enjoyed ‘Sherwood’ by Meagan Spooner. The former is a spin on Cinderella and the latter is a retelling of Robin Hood; both focus more on the flawed and interesting female characters than the traditional male heroes, so I would recommend these if this is the kind of thing you enjoy.
gali

Post by gali »

Pluma wrote: 20 Jul 2020, 23:51 ‘Stepsister’ by Jennifer Donnelly is a good one, and I also enjoyed ‘Sherwood’ by Meagan Spooner. The former is a spin on Cinderella and the latter is a retelling of Robin Hood; both focus more on the flawed and interesting female characters than the traditional male heroes, so I would recommend these if this is the kind of thing you enjoy.
Thank you. :tiphat:
A retired Admin/Mod

Return to “August 2020 Genre Discussion”