How early does it start?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
LiLj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilj.html
Latest Review: The Two Worlds in Which we Live Physical and Spiritual by Evelyn Rozier

Re: How early does it start?

Post by LiLj »

It could possibly help children, if they learn from a young age ways to relieve stress they will be better at it when they are an adult and have more stress.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

I think childhood does impact anxiety as an adult. I also think some of these practices could be implemented by children, like the meditation and more physical activies, that could help elivate stress later in life. A large part is simply creating good habits which could be implemanted by children.
Helen91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen91.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Helen91 »

I think parents should learn to listen to their children and not reprimand them when they try to relate their fears and worries. This is where it all starts. Anxiety/Stress is no respecter of age.
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

adhambakry wrote: 04 Sep 2020, 09:23 The answer to this question is the degree of a child's exposure to a stressful environment. For example, a child raised in an environment where his parents are always arguing may encounter a form of stress early in his life. But children grown in a healthy environment can avoid stress until puberty. I believe every person must experience stress during puberty due to hormonal imbalances.
I agree with you, but I also think it's not only people born in an unhealthy environment experience stress. I feel it's more like the values or the mindset the child grows with that will determine how he/she handle stress.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

david_martinez wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 22:56 I remember one time when I panicked and cried as a child when my mother left us in the house for more than one hour. This situation keeps happening throughout my childhood, and my mother's reaction is to always enrage on me. I think that if this information is available to me as a child, I would probably have had a better reaction to my anxiety. Yes, I think this book would be helpful for children.
I'm so sorry this happened to you. Yes, I believe if you had been given access to and taught to use some of the techniques in Kinrys' book it could have greatly alleviated your anxiety about your mother being away. Teaching children how to handle stress does help their ability to react to anxiety in a more constructive way. Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with us.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

prachi29 wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 03:18 Children should be taught to express their fears and worries from an early age. By doing so, they will be able to form this as a habit and will help them in the longer run.
Faithmwangi wrote: 06 Sep 2020, 09:01 I think how are conditioned to deal with anxiety and stress as children determines how we deal with it as adults. This includes how we saw our guardians/parents deal with stress. Depending on whether we perceived it as a good coping mechanism or not, our decisions as adults is based on what we were taught.
I agree, on both counts. Children should most definitely be taught from a young age that it's acceptable to express their fears and anxieties. As far as our conditioning as children helping us to handle stress as an adult, our parents are a huge influence.

"Our decisions as adults is based on what we were taught." As you said, that teaching can be positive or negative. Seeing the parents use arguing to vent steam would be a negative way to learn to handle anxiety. Having understanding parents who help you learn (as with the techniques in the book) to deal with your fears and stresses would be a positive one.

Thank you both for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with us!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

LiLj wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 01:49 It could possibly help children, if they learn from a young age ways to relieve stress they will be better at it when they are an adult and have more stress.
Delaney35 wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 09:21 I think childhood does impact anxiety as an adult. I also think some of these practices could be implemented by children, like the meditation and more physical activies, that could help elivate stress later in life. A large part is simply creating good habits which could be implemanted by children.
Helen91 wrote: 07 Sep 2020, 10:08 I think parents should learn to listen to their children and not reprimand them when they try to relate their fears and worries. This is where it all starts. Anxiety/Stress is no respecter of age.
As you said, childhood is where it all starts. If we help children learn to deal with their stresses and fears at a young age, they will be better equipped to handle them as adults. This might include consciously teaching them techniques such as the ones in Kinrys' book, teaching through example, or a mixture of the two. If we teach them to form habitual methods to deal with anxiety, it will come as an automatic soothing response later in life, thus helping them reduce anxiety.

Thanks to you all for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

I work with teenagers and think this guide could help a few of them. Not just to find techniques to help but also a better understanding of what they feel and removing the stigma that is attached to it. Too often I see the stress and anxiety of young people dismissed as a normal part of life and growing up. While some stress is inevitable, learning how to effectively deal with it should be important.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
mmandy38
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Currently Reading: The Zookeeper's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmandy38.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by mmandy38 »

I agree that there is a stigma but it’s an odd mix of “part of naturally growing up” and “hush-you don’t have that” kind of thing. People think when a child is experiencing something stressful or anxiety-inducing it isn’t really real. (That may not have made sense)
eddhee_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by eddhee_ »

It is good raise strong independent kids but you have to do it well and at the right time. Telling your kids to handle their stuffs too early exposes them to unwarranted stress. Most people are still carrying psychological baggages from their childhood. Every child should be taught to speak up rather than bottling their fears and emotions in.
Claude Hang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claude-hang.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Claude Hang »

Kelyn wrote: 06 Aug 2020, 19:10 I think we are taught from early childhood to internalize our psychological difficulties and anxieties. Phrases such as "Oh, you're just a born worrier." heard from family, dismisses the child's anxiety as overreaction. Thus, this teaches children that being worried or anxious is supposed to be no big deal, and talking about it brings scorn (or dismissiveness at the very least), so they learn to keep it to themselves...increasing stress steadily. How does/would this play into what the author has to say about relieving our stress as adults? Are these also practices that could help children?
I think my anxiety was induced by always being very late to school because of my mom. Had to face the whole school staring at me through the big glass windows in all the classrooms as I walked in embarrassment everyday to my class. I internalised that and manifested elsewhere growing up.
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

That is definitely something to think about. Childhood can be the starting point for many anxieties in life.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Rwill0988 wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 10:26 I work with teenagers and think this guide could help a few of them. Not just to find techniques to help but also a better understanding of what they feel and removing the stigma that is attached to it. Too often I see the stress and anxiety of young people dismissed as a normal part of life and growing up. While some stress is inevitable, learning how to effectively deal with it should be important.
mmandy38 wrote: 11 Sep 2020, 11:07 I agree that there is a stigma but it’s an odd mix of “part of naturally growing up” and “hush-you don’t have that” kind of thing. People think when a child is experiencing something stressful or anxiety-inducing it isn’t really real. (That may not have made sense)
eddhee_ wrote: 12 Sep 2020, 14:10 It is good raise strong independent kids but you have to do it well and at the right time. Telling your kids to handle their stuffs too early exposes them to unwarranted stress. Most people are still carrying psychological baggages from their childhood. Every child should be taught to speak up rather than bottling their fears and emotions in.
Claude Hang wrote: 13 Sep 2020, 14:47 I think my anxiety was induced by always being very late to school because of my mom. Had to face the whole school staring at me through the big glass windows in all the classrooms as I walked in embarrassment everyday to my class. I internalised that and manifested elsewhere growing up.
Exactly, all too many times, a child's anxieties are dismissed as over-reaction, simply not acknowledged at all, or belittled. Having no one to talk to about them who will listen, the child keeps them inside to fester and, one day, explode. Whether that 'explosion' is in the form of acting out, withdrawing from the world, or in some other way, it has the same source. The anxieties that were not addressed with them as a child. As for telling them to handle things too early, your right. A child should not be expected to handle things on their own. Every child should be encouraged and taught to share their problems and that it is not a bad thing to need help.

Thanks to all of you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!
bush reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bush-reads.html
Latest Review: The Poison Profession by Rachel Wright

Post by bush reads »

You're absolutely correct about that. But, I think times our changing. Now, people are slowly ending up as more understanding individuals and know better than to just invalidate our problems and narrow us down to somebody who's just worrying or thinking too much. Not all, but quite a number of people. I guess, awareness is important. Children should be taught that it is okay to feel worried and should be taken seriously when they complain about their issues, instead of just telling them to keep things to themselves.
beadeniseroa
Currently Reading: Finnikin of the Rock
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beadeniseroa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by beadeniseroa »

Good question! I think it is important for parents to teach their children coping methods with regards to stress. Not having an outlet growing up, your fears tend to bottle up and can be very detrimental to overall mental health.
Here we go mother on the shipless ocean. Pity us, pity the ocean, here we go. — Anne Carson, Decreation

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”