A socially anxious newbie puts exposure therapy to the test

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Re: A socially anxious newbie puts exposure therapy to the test

Post by Drado_27 »

I enjoyed reading this book and plan on implementing some mentioned methods. I especially find meditation and mindfullness to be helpful. Posting anywhere is very challenging because you don't know what kind of response you will get. However, I think by continual exposure it will get easier.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Drianie wrote: 03 Sep 2020, 03:47 I have always been a socially anxious person. My preferred method of dealing with anxiety has always been to avoid anything stressful as far as I possibly could. Since I married my extremely social husband 5 years ago, it has been an uphill battle to accommodate our different personalities and responses to social events. I love the way he challenges me to do things I never even would consider, and he gets me out of my exceedingly large comfort zone. Although I love this exposure, the anxiety never goes away and it has always bothered me that I rely on him too much to help me deal with my social anxiety. I struggled to get to the point where I loved myself and accepted myself for who I am, even though I am different and really difficult to communicate with. This book has helped me to learn more about myself. It has also reminded me that I am not alone and that others deal with the same stress and anxiety that I do. Not only do I have all this information, but actual practical methods that I can incorporate in my life. I look forward to experimenting and trying out the different methods to help me manage my stress and anxiety and even overcome it.
“Take responsibility for your own stress by admitting that your reactions are the problem and that these reactions can only be solved by you and no-one else.”
Congrats on having a great husband, Drianie :). I think the first step of getting rid of anxiety is to have someone there for you. The more you keep your issues to yourself, the more it tires you out and makes you feel depressed. You don't have to take long strides, just small paces will do. Step by step, one person at a time, slowly expanding your circle will work just fine. If you don't feel comfortable talking to real-life people, you may start with social networking sites.
JustineSophia2
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justinesophia2.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by JustineSophia2 »

I think the more we read and know about the types of stressors and also the chemical reactions happening in our bodies that we may not realize, the more we are better prepared to address those stressors in a positive and healthy way. I also deal with social anxiety and it can be quite challenging to even recognize the signs in myself. There is such valuable information on how to handle stressors in this book, it really was worthwhile to read.
- The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go. —Dr. Seuss
Anngladys
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anngladys.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Anngladys »

cluthrie wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 19:59 Topic for forum:

Sometimes I have trouble managing my social anxiety, which is even a problem for me on anonymous online forums such as this. I get so nervous! So.... let's be practical! I'm scared but I'm posting in any case!

As a new member, I am nervous of putting myself out there on this site. I am SO GLAD this book was chosen as the book of the month. Topical, helpful for us ALL during this stressful and unprecedented time on earth during this global pandemic. This post serves as exposure therapy to me!

I invite all of my fellows who are anxious to participate in the forums to give it a go and POST! As the book of the month suggests, confrontong our fears can be rather freeing, no?

What do you guys think of the methods in this book? Are there any ways you plan to implement the advice in your own life?

And, do you have any advice for me as an anxious newbie in the forums?

I hope to hear from some of you in the comments! I'll leave you with my favorite quote from the book:

"Yоu are rеѕроnѕiblе fоr уоur lifе аѕ it iѕ nоw аnd, whеn уоu саn ассерt thаt rеѕроnѕibilitу, уоu саn ассерt thе rеѕроnѕibilitу оf соrrесting соurѕе аnd dirесting your life along the path that you dеѕirе."

I absolutely love the quote that you have used!

Just be you, and you'll be alright. As long as you express yourself politely and kindly, there's nothing to be afraid of. Keep practising and the more you speak up, the more you'll learn, and the more answers you'll get to any questions that you might have.

The fact that you wrote already shows that you're handling anxiety in a great way. Keep at it!
Claude Hang
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-claude-hang.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Claude Hang »

cluthrie wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 19:59 Topic for forum:

Sometimes I have trouble managing my social anxiety, which is even a problem for me on anonymous online forums such as this. I get so nervous! So.... let's be practical! I'm scared but I'm posting in any case!

As a new member, I am nervous of putting myself out there on this site. I am SO GLAD this book was chosen as the book of the month. Topical, helpful for us ALL during this stressful and unprecedented time on earth during this global pandemic. This post serves as exposure therapy to me!

I invite all of my fellows who are anxious to participate in the forums to give it a go and POST! As the book of the month suggests, confrontong our fears can be rather freeing, no?

What do you guys think of the methods in this book? Are there any ways you plan to implement the advice in your own life?

And, do you have any advice for me as an anxious newbie in the forums?

I hope to hear from some of you in the comments! I'll leave you with my favorite quote from the book:

"Yоu are rеѕроnѕiblе fоr уоur lifе аѕ it iѕ nоw аnd, whеn уоu саn ассерt thаt rеѕроnѕibilitу, уоu саn ассерt thе rеѕроnѕibilitу оf соrrесting соurѕе аnd dirесting your life along the path that you dеѕirе."
Congratulations on this step you've taken, friend!
Try to find the root cause of your social anxiety. Be honest with yourself and try work on that.
Online book club is a place you can find like-minded friendly people. You can develop friendly relationships over time to help with the anxiety.
God has not given us a spirit of fear but of power, love, and a sound mind.
God bless.
Eareeves99
Currently Reading: The Beautiful Ones
Bookshelf Size: 326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eareeves99.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Eareeves99 »

Good job on facing your fears. I also find forum posting, or any instance where I'm giving my opinion or stating my feelings on an issue that may receive a reply, to be anxiety inducing. I purposely choose social situations that are low risk but with every success I gain more confidence. As for anxiety management techniques, I frequently use breathing exercises frequently and encourage my anxious teenager to do the same.
Shatakshi Gauriar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shatakshi-gauriar.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Shatakshi Gauriar »

I think it is one of the best way to actually face your fears. Everybody is afraid of something, it is actually one of the bravest thing to do. Exposure therapy can become very intense but that's how it should be.
Anyone suffering from any kind of fear out there, I hope this can give you the perfect push you need.
DominikaS
Favorite Book: Picasso At The Lapin Agile
Currently Reading: Hollywood
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominikas.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by DominikaS »

Congratulations on making the topic! I think that when combating mental health issues its best to have a mixed approach of dealing with it, so not just all medication (if you can) but also not just exercising in order to avoid getting professional help.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

Love the quote you posted.
As a socially anxious person myself, I've started doing things I'm not quite sure about just for the sake of it. I would tell myself to hell with it, what's the worst thing that can happen. And I did find it freeing.

I think it's awesome you took the first steps.
I'm trying to take them too on this platform. Cheers 🙌🏼
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Spani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spani.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Spani »

Congratulations to being brave and testing out your fears in such a publice way. I hope you are faring on well as this has been going on for a while, but with the positive feedback I am optimistic for you😊
CharlieMax1516
Currently Reading: Put Comfortable Shoes in my Coffin
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charliemax1516.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by CharlieMax1516 »

Great job creating this topic! I also struggle with social anxiety and understand how brave it is to initiate this thread. I agree that more experience leads to increased ease...the older I get, the clearer that becomes :)
"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." -Emily Bronte
Ogbara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86

Post by Ogbara »

djr6090 wrote: 06 Aug 2020, 08:27 My advice is to live in the day. Projecting failure is a sure road to stress. And your decision to 'put ourself out there' is a step in the right direction. Congrats.
I agree, having a positive mind set can and will go a long way.
Nedbrian
Currently Reading: Into the Hand of a Woman
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nedbrian.html
Latest Review: Different Family Structures by Mildred Stallworth

Post by Nedbrian »

Exposing yourself mans understanding you need to fix something, and that is taking responsibility. Often times, we need a faceless place to heal and this forum has provided you an avenue for that. Nevertheless, I would advice you rely solely on yourself, go with the flow as you become a different person than you were before.
Segelolo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-segelolo.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Segelolo »

I must say that you did a wonderful thing by trying it out on this website. The first way of dealing anxiety and fear is facing it.

The most difficult part of facing it is taking the first bold step. I know that your ability to tackle your fear head on would have increased since you read this book. I am also tackling mime and improving on it by the day. I hope we will both lead an anxiety free life.
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Post by leiabutler »

This is a great idea! Love this post. Social anxiety is real for a lot of us and I agree that exposure therapy is the way to go in putting yourself out there and facing the fear head on!
'At his lips' touch she blossomed for him like a flower and the incarnation was complete'
The Great Gatsby

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”