Natural options can substitute medicaments totally?

Use this forum to discuss the August 2020 Book of the month, " Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD.
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Re: Natural options can substitute medicaments totally?

Post by Mindi »

I definitely believe natural options should be used more. In some cases, it may take other remedies, though. It just depends on the situation.
Vine Michael
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

This is a very interesting topic. I do believe that traditional and natural medicine work hand in hand. Our bodies demand a little bit of both. While alone they are very effective, together they would give utmost relieve.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I feel like traditional and natural remedies are best used to complement each other in a way that is specific to each person. Someone may be able to use more of one and less of the other, but that doesn't mean the same treatment and strategies will work for another person.
Patag Ghosal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patag-ghosal.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Patag Ghosal »

I strongly believe that natural medicine plays a very strong role in well-being. It is definitely complementary to medicine but if used from an earlier stage it may play a much stronger preventive role in a lot of ailments and diseases.
viczboy16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-viczboy16.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud

Post by viczboy16 »

In my opinion, I believe both methods are complimentary unless the stress level is very minimal, then natural methods can substitute traditional medications.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Teesheetz
Currently Reading: Your Adventurous Life Awaits
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teesheetz.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Teesheetz »

I do believe that natural options are the best, depending on the individual. I personally do not suffer from anxiety or depression, but both my adult children do. Neither take medications, but they both live a healthy lifestyle and find that staying active is key. They run, bike, workout, kayak, practice yoga, and more. They have both shared that when they get bogged down with work or just busy period, where they have less time to engage in the release through exercise, they do struggle. Additionally, they find having that friend to vent to, sleep, journaling, and healthy diet are vital.
TCG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tcg.html
Latest Review: The Jewels Of The Rainbow by H.F. Snyder

Post by TCG »

In my opinion, it depends on the diagnosis. If the cause of the stress is unknown, then it will be suitable to apply a random solution to the problem. In other words, complementary measures can be taken.
kparikh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kparikh.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by kparikh »

It really depends. The author also talked about supplements. For those unaware, supplements are vitamins that your body makes naturally but when taking the supplement your body gets a boost of that particular vitamin. Take for example melatonin, your body makes that naturally yet some people take the supplement in order to help them get a better night's sleep. These are also considered natural so that could help as well if you are looking the ween off your medication.
Wyzdomania_Gskillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyzdomania-gskillz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wyzdomania_Gskillz »

I think that what medications do really, is to manipulate the chemical/hormonal levels and constituents of the human system. This 'control' can be achieved by adopting certain natural lifestyle changes and habits, amongst which are meditation, yoga and others. I think these should always take preeminence over medication. A combination of both should only be applied if the case is critical and requiring urgent remedy.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: The Past Speaks by Geoff McCue

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

I think mainstream medicine focuses more on treatment while alternative medicine is more preventive. They both have strengths and limitations which makes them complementary. I also believe that prevention is better than cure. Developing a healthier lifestyle using natural or alternative methods will eventually and hopefully lessen resorting to mainstream treatment.
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

Stress and anxiety levels have increased in the last 100 years and sadly have reached extremely high levels especially in kids. Personally I believe that taking medication to combat stress isn't a solution, you are just treating the symptoms not the root of the problem. I think everyone should take one good look at themselves or reach out for professional help and determine what it is exactly that causes the problem. Once you know that you can start to slowly heal yourself with natural treatment like a stroll in the park or a play date with a kitten or a puppy. Reachersers have determined that nature plays a significant part in peoples mentality and so do animals.They relieve stress and calm the mind. So before you ran to the doctors to get the pills try the natural methods first.
Higher25
Currently Reading: Daily Pulse: the rhythm of the Tao
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-higher25.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Higher25 »

I have a belief that "nature had it first", so in all things,if I'm looking for a solution, I'll first consult the natural way to fix the problem, its when its not proving effective that I may seek alternative. So I'll say to try the natural method first. When it doesn't seem to be working, then introduce an alternative.
:D I believe in love
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

While I am in favor of seeking out natural remedies for stress, one cannot discount to benefits of pharmaceutical interventions if the anxiety becomes unbearable. The development of new medications has saved countless people who were considering suicide, and it has improved the mindsets of countless others. Sometimes natural remedies just aren't enough.
JB3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jb3.html
Latest Review: Shadow Game by A.M. Adair

Post by JB3 »

I don't think that natural remedies can replace medicine. Perhaps in the future there may be a more effective method found but for right now I think that medications and conventional therapy are the best bet.
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

I think it's not a question of whether they can substitute the traditional methods, rather a question of whether the patient wants to take advantage of quick-acting traditional methods which might be a quick fix, or want to try natural methods that might take time but might also prove long lasting n

Return to “Discuss "Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress: A Practical Guide" by Gustavo Kinrys, MD”