Official Review: Aryana and the Moon Goddess (Told by Eli...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: Aryana and the Moon Goddess (Told by Eli...

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Aryana and the Moon Goddess (Told by Elique)" by Richard E Buckner and Suelynn Parker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Father and daughter, Richard E. Buckner and Suelynn N. Parker have teamed up to write Aryana and the Moon Goddess (Told by Elique). Elique is a fairy-like creature, who, not only tells this fairy tale story but also plays an important role throughout the adventures of Hadiya.

This story is about 17-year-old Princess Hadiya who goes on a quest to find the only thing that might possibly limit the evil Moon Goddess Calista’s powers. Spurred by anger and hate, Hadiya wants to stop Calista from her control over the kingdoms and get revenge on her murdering innocent people. Hadiya visits many different places and meets many different characters, some who help her and others who battle against her. Hadiya must overcome fears, doubts, and her own imperfections. Her success will affect many people for years to come.

The book was structured very well. I liked that the plot was driven by the importance of finding the artifact that could make a difference for so many. I best liked that though Hadiya had to go on the quest basically alone, she had many who helped her along the way. Just like life, many people or experiences may discourage or make a person fearful to endure and to overcome obstacles, but Hadiya was able to push towards the goal. I thought the ending and the different resolutions were satisfying. There may be another book after this one, as the ending made that a possibility.

I least liked that the book was not edited well. There were several misspelled and missing words throughout the book. I did not like the use of “anyways” that was used at least ten times by different characters. There was a problem with the formatting of every chapter, which had extra empty lines in the first paragraph as well as a problem with the drop caps. There wasn’t anything in the story itself that I didn’t like. It was very interesting, captivating, and action-packed.

I rate Aryana and the Moon Goddess 3 out of 4 stars. Because of the formatting and editing errors, I deducted one star from the rating. However, the book deserves a three-star rating because the story and the plot were both enjoyable, the characters were well developed, and the multiple resolutions were all satisfying. If the book would undergo professional editing, I would gladly rate it a four star.

If you enjoy reading fairy tales with all kinds of magical creatures and places that includes a big adventure, you will definitely find this book worth reading. This book is suitable for children and young adults, though many adults would also enjoy it.

Aryana and the Moon Goddess (Told by Elique)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LV2R's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

I like Hadiya's character. Though she is only 17, her bravery to try and stop Calista from her control over the kingdoms and to get revenge for murdering innocent people is intriguing. Nice review.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I like that the book has a well-driven plot. It also has well-developed characters. I'll check this out later. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, at least the editing is one of the easiest things to fix about a book. Take it to a good proofreader, and you are all set. The story sounds intriguing, and I love that it's a father daughter authorship. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Im_thatgreatreader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Im_thatgreatreader »

The name is actually very catchy and from this review, I'm sure the book would live up to its name. I like the fact Hadiya, a 17yr old, is going on a quest and it's really nice she's going to go through some challenges as she can't have everything her way and about the editing errors. I hope the author would work on that in subsequent books but i would definitely love to read this one.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Thank you for pointing out that the book's only failing in your eyes was the editing. This makes it all the more appealing, seeing as it seems to be a well defined story with interesting characters. Your information that the book is written by a father and daughter makes it fascinating.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

I don't think I've ever read a book written by a father and daughter. Many co-authored books yes, but never one like this. I'm wondering would it maybe seep into the writing? Sometimes you can tell which parts were written by which author and considering the difference between the authors in this book, I feel like maybe it'll be very obvious and distracting.
Thanks for the great reviews though!
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

This looks like an interesting fantasy book, I always fancy the moon so the premise that the moon goddess is bad definitely caught my attention, too bad the formatting ang grammar errors let fown this book.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

"Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again."
C. S. Lewis

Fairy tales, in my opinion, are an amazing way to send a message and in this book I especially like the part of overcoming our own imperfections and doing something that might benefit others.
I also find very interesting that its a father-daughter collaboration.
A lovely review, thank you!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Errors could be rectified. A good story would always be so. Revenge isn't the answer. Team effort works. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Fairy tales are and have always been my go-to books. Although the premise of a quest in search for a particular object sounds like a typical plot for these books,I liked how you compare her journey with a journey of life. Too bad for the editing errors, I hope they rectify them soon. Thanks for the lovely review!
8amaseter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by 8amaseter »

I like Fairy tales that the main character would have an uphill task. In this book, Hadiya has set up not only to stop the evil powers of a moon goddess but to revenge. It will a good read. Thanks for the review.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

The father and daughter authorship is incredibly unique to me. It seems that there's so much to learn from the Princess Hadiya character. Intriguing plot with a strong and determined protagonist.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”