Official Review: Aryana and the Moon Goddess (Told by Eli...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
LV2R
2019 Reading Goal: 75
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 33
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 150
Favorite Book: And Then I Met Margaret
Currently Reading: Among Us
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Smart Ass by Margaret Winslow

Official Review: Aryana and the Moon Goddess (Told by Eli...

Post by LV2R » 01 Mar 2019, 23:00

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Aryana and the Moon Goddess (Told by Elique)" by Richard E Buckner and Suelynn Parker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Father and daughter, Richard E. Buckner and Suelynn N. Parker have teamed up to write Aryana and the Moon Goddess (Told by Elique). Elique is a fairy-like creature, who, not only tells this fairy tale story but also plays an important role throughout the adventures of Hadiya.

This story is about 17-year-old Princess Hadiya who goes on a quest to find the only thing that might possibly limit the evil Moon Goddess Calista’s powers. Spurred by anger and hate, Hadiya wants to stop Calista from her control over the kingdoms and get revenge on her murdering innocent people. Hadiya visits many different places and meets many different characters, some who help her and others who battle against her. Hadiya must overcome fears, doubts, and her own imperfections. Her success will affect many people for years to come.

The book was structured very well. I liked that the plot was driven by the importance of finding the artifact that could make a difference for so many. I best liked that though Hadiya had to go on the quest basically alone, she had many who helped her along the way. Just like life, many people or experiences may discourage or make a person fearful to endure and to overcome obstacles, but Hadiya was able to push towards the goal. I thought the ending and the different resolutions were satisfying. There may be another book after this one, as the ending made that a possibility.

I least liked that the book was not edited well. There were several misspelled and missing words throughout the book. I did not like the use of “anyways” that was used at least ten times by different characters. There was a problem with the formatting of every chapter, which had extra empty lines in the first paragraph as well as a problem with the drop caps. There wasn’t anything in the story itself that I didn’t like. It was very interesting, captivating, and action-packed.

I rate Aryana and the Moon Goddess 3 out of 4 stars. Because of the formatting and editing errors, I deducted one star from the rating. However, the book deserves a three-star rating because the story and the plot were both enjoyable, the characters were well developed, and the multiple resolutions were all satisfying. If the book would undergo professional editing, I would gladly rate it a four star.

If you enjoy reading fairy tales with all kinds of magical creatures and places that includes a big adventure, you will definitely find this book worth reading. This book is suitable for children and young adults, though many adults would also enjoy it.

Aryana and the Moon Goddess (Told by Elique)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LV2R's review? Post a comment saying so!

Rose Harebate
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate » 06 Mar 2019, 04:26

I like Hadiya's character. Though she is only 17, her bravery to try and stop Calista from her control over the kingdoms and to get revenge for murdering innocent people is intriguing. Nice review.

T_stone
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone » 06 Mar 2019, 06:02

I like that the book has a well-driven plot. It also has well-developed characters. I'll check this out later. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Channeler by William H Kline IV

Post by kandscreeley » 06 Mar 2019, 09:46

Well, at least the editing is one of the easiest things to fix about a book. Take it to a good proofreader, and you are all set. The story sounds intriguing, and I love that it's a father daughter authorship. Thanks!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Im_thatgreatreader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Im_thatgreatreader » 07 Mar 2019, 20:02

The name is actually very catchy and from this review, I'm sure the book would live up to its name. I like the fact Hadiya, a 17yr old, is going on a quest and it's really nice she's going to go through some challenges as she can't have everything her way and about the editing errors. I hope the author would work on that in subsequent books but i would definitely love to read this one.

Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Dentarthurdent » 09 Mar 2019, 15:46

Thank you for pointing out that the book's only failing in your eyes was the editing. This makes it all the more appealing, seeing as it seems to be a well defined story with interesting characters. Your information that the book is written by a father and daughter makes it fascinating.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Crazyreader01 » 10 Mar 2019, 03:56

I don't think I've ever read a book written by a father and daughter. Many co-authored books yes, but never one like this. I'm wondering would it maybe seep into the writing? Sometimes you can tell which parts were written by which author and considering the difference between the authors in this book, I feel like maybe it'll be very obvious and distracting.
Thanks for the great reviews though!

Shielasshi_93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shielasshi-93.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Shielasshi_93 » 11 Mar 2019, 08:20

This looks like an interesting fantasy book, I always fancy the moon so the premise that the moon goddess is bad definitely caught my attention, too bad the formatting ang grammar errors let fown this book.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”