Official Review: Steele Chronicles: Colony Crisis Series:...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Official Review: Steele Chronicles: Colony Crisis Series:...

Post by Kendra M Parker »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Steele Chronicles: Colony Crisis Series: Gathering Forces" by Andrew Utsogn.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Set in the distant future, Andrew Utsogn’s Steele Chronicles: Colony Crisis Series: Gathering Forces attempts to weave together three different plot lines across great distances in space. Humans left Earth to colonize other planets centuries before the novel begins, bringing with them many of the same political issues we see today. Diving into Utosgn’s world, readers first meet Carl Wolf, a “xeno-wrangler.” Wolf travels to outer worlds and helps clients safely navigate the dangers in unexplored environments. When things go wrong on one of his jobs, he finds himself suddenly sent to Oceanus Station, one of his least favorite places in the universe. As a skilled doctor, Tatyana plans to leave home and join a humanitarian mission on Oceanus Station. Two days before her planned departure, her estranged father asks her to come visit one last time. After a difficult visit, Tatyana suddenly finds herself the prime suspect in her father’s murder as she seeks to escape the ruling mafia organization. On an unknown planet, a race of lizard-people struggle to survive against an invading horde.

Clearly, Utsogn devoted significant time and effort to developing his characters and his universe. His characters have complex back-stories, and a prologue shows how well he designed the political lines in the novel. Characters and events play their parts well in creating an engaging story. Lamentably, Utsogn knows his characters so well that he forgets to share some pertinent details with the reader. Several times, those details truly felt lacking due to personal familiarity instead of an attempt to increase suspense. Gathering Forces could benefit from allowing the reader just a little more insight into the characters and plot points.

I applaud Utsogn’s ambitious goals in choosing to incorporate three plotlines. When such disparate plotlines weave together seamlessly, it creates an amazing experience. Unfortunately, Utosgn misses the mark. While reading, I kept waiting for all of the plotlines to converge into that brilliant moment where the whole picture becomes clear. That moment never really occurred in Gathering Forces. Two of the plotlines intersect briefly and then diverge again. A third plotline feels like it gets left hanging out in space, waiting for some sort of resolution that never happens. I understand this book will be part of a series, but each book in a series should provide some sense of resolution. Gathering Forces simply ends without any true resolution for any of the plots.

On top of the character and plot issues I noted, there are some additional technical flaws in the book. Gathering Forces could benefit from a solid edit of the grammar. Most of the flaws I found involve a missing word or misplaced punctuation. While these do not have a major impact on the readability of the novel, they do accumulate enough to cause me to deduct a star from my final rating.

Utsogn’s novel earns 2 out of 4 stars. His book has an interesting premise, but the way it stops short of connecting all three storylines detracts from the overall story. With some additional professional editing, this book could soar into the 3- or 4-star range. Readers that love detailed universes and epic science fiction stories may find a new favorite author in Utsogn. If you crave a sense of fulfillment when finished with a book, however, I suggest skipping this one.

Steele Chronicles: Colony Crisis Series: Gathering Forces
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kendra M Parker's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I dislike when it feels like the author didn't really know where to end the book, so it just stops. It sounds like this might be the case here, especially with the plot line that's just left hanging. For that reason alone, I probably won't read this one. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Seeing as I do enjoy a sense of fulfillment on completion of a book, I shall avoid this one as per your advice. I like that you have explained the short-comings of the novel in a manner easy to relate to. the first paragraph paints quite a comprehensive picture, but I believe it would have done better as three paragraphs, rather than one; for Wolf, Tatyana and the lizard-people.
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

That's unfortunate because the initial summary you gave seems very interesting. A shame there were too many plot lines going on.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

It sounds like this is one of those books where the author is too fond of his own story to make the necessary edits.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I can't stand books that have different plot lines that never serve a purpose. When I first started reading your review, it seemed like it was going to be an interesting read. Maybe the author should have stayed with the main plot point and saved the rest for another book.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A space opera revolving around a “xeno-wrangler”, a fugitive Doc, and lizard-people sounds exciting. The premise sounds promising, too bad the execution was lacking, the three plotlines do not converge, and there was no resolution. A pity about the technical flaws. I am glad you enjoyed it despite those issues. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
KoladeAdedamola123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by KoladeAdedamola123 »

I enjoyed a sense of fulfillment on completion of a book, I like that you have explained the short-comings of the novel in a manner easy to relate to. The first paragraph paints quite a comprehensive picture.. But nevertheless, it's interesting and I love it
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I've been into space adventures lately. We Are Legion (We Are Bob) and Orson Scott Card's Enderverse are some of my favorites. It's too bad this book falls short of the mark though. I like the idea of different storylines but I agree that they need to converge somewhere.
Wanja Hannah
Currently Reading: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanja-hannah.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Wanja Hannah »

I don't like sci-fi especially when it involves creatures that a re non existent. It sounds like a book that Lacks flow even with all the imagination.
Wanja Kenya
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Thanks for the review, but I'm not a big fan of space stories, and this one has just too much going on, with three plotlines, so I'll pass.
AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

Seems like a science fiction novel that I would read, so I might get it soon.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a post-apocalyptic science fiction space opera novel full of action, adventure, and suspense. I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars. Congrats @AUtsogn on the BOTD.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

"Steele Chronicles: Colony Crisis Series: Gathering Forces" by Andrew Utsogn sounds interesting for lovers of epic and Sci-Fi stories. Thanks!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

That's too bad that it missed the mark because it does sound like an intriguing concept for a book. I think it takes a well-seasoned author to be able to have several plot lines, and it sounds like the reader was left hanging. Thanks for an honest review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”