Review by Ariel Lynn -- The Watchmaker’s Doctor

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ariel Lynn
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ariel-lynn.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Review by Ariel Lynn -- The Watchmaker’s Doctor

Post by Ariel Lynn »

[i][Following is a volunteer review of "The Watchmaker’s Doctor" by G. M. T. Schuilling.][/i]

[rbc=4]id353448-125[/rbc]If you had the opportunity to go back to your biggest regret and change it, would you? [i]The Watchmaker's Doctor[/i] by G.M.T. Schuilling dives into the chaos theory and explores how one small change can have a major impact.

35-year-old Ana is about to die. Her patient, Gregory, offers her a chance; stay here and now and die or go back to her biggest regret, change it and live life over again. While Ana is terrified of making her life even more of a mess than it is now, she chooses to try again and wakes up as her 17-year-old self in her parents' house.

Now in a race against the time she has left, Ana tries to reclaim her life and make it one she’s proud of. She seeks help for her mental illness earlier and majors in something she is passionate about. Every action has a consequence, however. Some of her new choices have unforeseen outcomes and it appears some parts of her past cannot be changed.

[i]The Watchmaker’s Doctor[/i] is a brilliant tale of time travel. I have always found the butterfly effect fascinating and Schuilling did not disappoint. I enjoyed the fact that mental illness was not shied away from. I felt it to be very informative on living with bipolar disorder and showed what a difference proper treatment can make. I also enjoyed reading Ana's story as I found her character to be extremely relatable.

The only thing I disliked about this book was the beginning. While beautifully written, Ana's character struggled to shine through and with that, my attention struggled to keep reading. However, once Ana travels back, you can really feel her emotions through the pages, so I am glad I kept going.

Overall, I feel this book deserves [b]4 out of 4 stars.[/b] I did not find any errors in this book and I believe it to be professionally edited. There is nothing overly graphic about this novella, but there are mentions of drug use, death, and underage drinking that may leave it more suited for the older young adult and sci-fi audience. Anyone who enjoys reading of time travel, second chances or the chaos theory would enjoy this book.

[i]The Watchmaker’s Doctor [/i]
View: [url=http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ?id=353448]on Bookshelves[/url] | [amazon=B07BNZHYLW]on Amazon[/amazon]

[i]Like Ariel Lynn's review? Post a comment saying so![/i]

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”