Official Review: The Legend: Revealed

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Samy Lax
2019 Reading Goal: 53
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 9
2018 Reading Goal: 38
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 118
Currently Reading: Only Love Can Break Your Heart
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: The Legend: Revealed by Cheryl Rush Cowperthwait

Official Review: The Legend: Revealed

Post by Samy Lax » 11 Feb 2019, 03:44

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Legend: Revealed" by Cheryl Rush Cowperthwait.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The dragons fled Verlaunde and came to Urthe, and that complicated the “work life” of Wyrtregon, the historian of the dragon kingdom. He now had too many events to recount, and this included the need to record the birth of the Dragon Child, Kaida—offspring to a human mother and a dragon father. Thus was born the legend of the Dragon Child.

Kaida grew up among the dragons and was raised as one of them. Separated from her family after a series of unfortunate events, Kaida lives for some time in the company of humans – Molakei and Flower Bird – and wolves – Sigrunn and Tyrianua. This group witnesses a “natural disaster” that literally turns their world upside down. Meanwhile, the dragons feel it within themselves that their dear Kaida is still alive and set out to look for her. They not only end up finding her but also find themselves befriending all the members of her newfound family.

Weaving all these diverse and interesting pieces of the puzzle together, The Legend: Revealed by Cheryl Rush Cowperthwait tells the story of Kaida and her soulmate – the dragon, Zlemtec, and how they visit the land of Kaida’s parents to put an end to the enmity between both groups and bring back peace among all. Will Kaida be able to successfully convince the “peoples” of both sides of her parents’ families to trust in each other and put an end to the wars they wage among themselves? Only The Legend: Revealed will provide the answers.

When I first started reading this book, it couldn’t quite catch my interest as it tried to encapsulate the entire book 1 in the series (The Legend of the Dragon Child) within the introduction. It was too much information and too many character names crammed into a small chapter.

However, as I proceeded reading the book, I found that it brought together dragons, faeries, humans, wolves, and so many more elements together for a thrilling read. It’s true that the dragon theme has been done to death recently; nevertheless, Ms. Cowperthwait has given a modern twist to her story and successfully made it original and endearing.

This book offers something of interest to everyone. From sibling rivalry among faeries to battling an assortment of enemies along the way to an unlikely romance between a dragon and human, there is never a dull moment. Though this book shows romance developing between Kaida and Zlemtec, it does not feature anything that can be categorized as “adult” content and that somehow made the book all the more likable. There is an overflow of imagination across the pages and anyone who picks this book up to read should approach it with an open mind. 

The story is told in the third-person narrative, giving us a look into each of the main characters’ minds and actions. I liked being able to look at the events from diverse angles as it helped me relate to all the characters better and get emotionally invested in the plot. Of all the characters, I have to say I really liked Kaida, as she was caring and innocent when with her family and a fearless warrior when the time warranted it. However, I have to add that all of the main characters add to the story in a special way. I was able to form a connection to each of these characters from Kaida’s life – and that, to me, shows how talented the author really is. 

The ending, if you haven’t guessed it yet, is a cliffhanger. I wish the book told more of the story before it concluded as it had me totally engrossed right up to that point. However, the ending is good enough for the reader to be left with a sense of anticipation of what is to come. I really can’t wait to lay my hands on book 3 in the series. 

Overall, considering all the positive points above in the book’s favor and the negative points that the book did a messy job of summarizing the story of book 1 in the introduction and also had a few typos that were not edited out, I would rate The Legend: Revealed 3 out of 4 stars. Aspects of mystery, suspense, and romance combine with wonderful representations and delightful characters for a novel that was a joy to read. If you take pleasure in reading about magicians, supernatural creatures, and friendly relationships between humans and dragons, this is definitely a book you're going to want to pick up. However, if you cannot stomach books with too many characters or those that end as cliffhangers, you might not particularly enjoy this one.

The Legend: Revealed
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Samy Lax's review? Post a comment saying so!
“If you're reading this...
Congratulations, you're alive.
If that's not something to smile about,
then I don't know what is.”
― Chad Sugg, Monsters Under Your Head

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Raven Dock by Sara Caldwell

Post by kandscreeley » 12 Feb 2019, 08:52

I don't think I would appreciate the rushed summary of the first book. I think it would be too overwhelming, and I don't know that I would continue on with the book. Though it sounds like an interesting story (who doesn't love a dragon child?), I think I'll pass. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

SamSim
2019 Reading Goal: 120
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 3
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samsim.html
Latest Review: Motivational Spirit : How to Keep Yours Solid as a Rock! by Robert L Kirby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by SamSim » 12 Feb 2019, 08:55

I definitely prefer it when the author of a series weaves information from the previous book naturally into the story, rather than giving me a heavy-handed data "download" at the beginning. However, it sounds like the rest of the book does make up for that. Thanks for the balanced review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by kdstrack » 12 Feb 2019, 09:25

I recently read a book based on the premise of a human/dragon child. That seems to be a popular concept. I like your description of how the author challenges your imagination with this book. Sounds like a good story, even with the cliffhanger ending. Thanks for your review.

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: Winning The War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jessacardinal » 12 Feb 2019, 20:52

It seems the author succeeded with the cliffhanger and will see much success with the next book in the series.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax » 13 Feb 2019, 00:37

kandscreeley wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 08:52
I don't think I would appreciate the rushed summary of the first book. I think it would be too overwhelming, and I don't know that I would continue on with the book. Though it sounds like an interesting story (who doesn't love a dragon child?), I think I'll pass. Thanks.
I get your point. The introduction needs to be well-planned enough to pull the readers into the rest of the book.

Thanks for your comment!

Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax » 13 Feb 2019, 23:01

SamSim wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 08:55
I definitely prefer it when the author of a series weaves information from the previous book naturally into the story, rather than giving me a heavy-handed data "download" at the beginning. However, it sounds like the rest of the book does make up for that. Thanks for the balanced review!
Thankfully, yes. The rest of the book made me feel much better about having opted to read it.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax » 14 Feb 2019, 23:14

kdstrack wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 09:25
I recently read a book based on the premise of a human/dragon child. That seems to be a popular concept. I like your description of how the author challenges your imagination with this book. Sounds like a good story, even with the cliffhanger ending. Thanks for your review.
Thank you for your kind words and for stopping by. It is a great story, actually. Cliffhangers are just a sore spot for me when it comes to books! :techie-studyingbrown:

Rose Harebate
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Rose Harebate » 18 Feb 2019, 00:44

I like the fact that the book can be enjoyable to everyone, as it contains themes from almost every category from action to romance, and many more. Thanks for an engaging review.

Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax » 18 Feb 2019, 23:10

Jessacardinal wrote:
12 Feb 2019, 20:52
It seems the author succeeded with the cliffhanger and will see much success with the next book in the series.
True, the author seems to have succeeded in introducing a level of intrigue into the ending with the cliffhanger. I don't mind getting to read the next in the series.

Thanks for the comment!

Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax » Yesterday, 02:07

Rose Harebate wrote:
18 Feb 2019, 00:44
I like the fact that the book can be enjoyable to everyone, as it contains themes from almost every category from action to romance, and many more. Thanks for an engaging review.
This is what made the book enjoyable to me as well. Thank you for your stopping by and leaving a comment!

HRichards
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Forensic Foraging by William C. Crawford and Jim Provencher

Post by HRichards » Today, 15:34

Sounds like a good book, but I' a bit cautious about a book that starts out so slow.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”