Official Review: Infinty 7 by Charles R Hinckley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
sarahmarlowe
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 15
2018 Reading Goal: 70
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading: The Sparrow
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The Memory Palace by Barbara Milman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Infinty 7 by Charles R Hinckley

Post by sarahmarlowe » 09 Feb 2019, 18:44

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Infinty 7" by Charles R Hinckley.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Infinity 7: What Do You Hear when Aliens Call?, by Charles R. Hinckley, starts with intrigue when scientists on Earth receive a mysterious message from the Metis 3 Space Station which is orbiting the Moon.

The scientists working with Metis 3 are trying to keep that space station in orbit and fully functional. Focused initially on scientific exploration, the Metis Program is now having financial issues. To continue their research, they have partnered with a mining company who is supplementing their income. This creates a tenuous relationship between scientists and mining executives, and now this curious message has caused considerable confusion among both scientists and crew. Mission Director Dr. John Collins has invested years in the space station, and he is desperate for it to succeed. Dr. Collins climbs aboard the Infinity 7 spacecraft and heads to Metis 3 to evaluate the situation, hopefully preventing any bad press that might result in a loss of funding.

The search for the cause of the strange message and the odd behavior of the crew was entertaining. I wasn’t sure what was at the heart of the mystery until well into the book, so it wasn’t a predictable plot. The descriptions of the setting were vivid and realistic. Hinckley created good images without being wordy.

What I didn’t understand about the book was the character design, and I found this to be a major flaw in the book. Unfortunately, I didn’t consider the characters very interesting, and some of them seemed to have no purpose in the story. Without giving any spoilers, there was one principal character whose role just stopped, but I couldn’t see how that helped to advance the plot. I couldn’t even connect with the main character, Dr. Collins, although the author provided background details and let readers into his thoughts and motivations. I found him to be bland.

I was initially excited to read this book because I had not read a science-fiction book in a while. I was looking for memorable characters with a good strong plot that made me think. Unfortunately, this wasn’t what I was looking for. I give Infinity 7: What Do You Hear when Aliens Call? 2 out of 4 stars. It is well-edited with very few errors, and I find that to be refreshing. The few errors I did find had to do with commas and can be easily corrected. Prospective readers may want to know that there is some adult language and a suggestion of sexual encounters. There is not much violence.

This book just doesn’t have the strength of a 3-star read. I can’t recommend it because I simply didn’t enjoy it. The first half of the book was intriguing, but some of the seemingly important plot points didn’t come together during the rest of the story. I am not giving it only 1 star because although the story faded as the plot continued, it wasn’t a chore to read, either. The ending leaves much up to the reader’s imagination. Some will find that appealing, and some will find it dissatisfying. Readers looking for deep characters and a concrete ending will especially want to skip this one.

Infinty 7
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sarahmarlowe's review? Post a comment saying so!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Raven Dock by Sara Caldwell

Post by kandscreeley » 12 Feb 2019, 09:04

Well, it's too bad the characters just weren't done well. That can definitely spoil a book, even though it was unpredictable. I like relatable characters, so I think I'm going to have to pass on this. Thanks, though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

briellejee
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 5
2018 Reading Goal: 120
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2017 Reading Goal: 15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: Lily White Lie by Connie Chappell

Post by briellejee » 12 Feb 2019, 20:52

I like science fiction books that are well-described, including the technology with it. However, I am more inclined to read a book with a good plot but with well-developed characters. Once you cannot make your characters relatable or even interesting enough, readers will find it tedious to read on. Pity how this book turned out despite the good plot and the vivid writing style of the author. Thanks for this honest review! :tiphat:
Comment on my reviews and I'll comment on yours too! :wink:

"All that is gold does not glitter, not all who wander are lost"

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by Cecilia_L » 13 Feb 2019, 22:23

I appreciate your perseverance and your honest review. I find it really hard to enjoy a book when I can't connect with the characters.

HRichards
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Forensic Foraging by William C. Crawford and Jim Provencher

Post by HRichards » 16 Feb 2019, 19:46

That's disappointing. The book sounds interesting on the surface so it's a shame it doesn't deliver.

cornelia_SD
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cornelia-sd.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by cornelia_SD » 17 Feb 2019, 01:16

I love sci-fi books, but would definitely go for those stories with good character and interesting plot development. Thank you for your review.
Support me and I will support you. :techie-studyingbrown:

sarahmarlowe

Post by sarahmarlowe » 19 Feb 2019, 13:07

kandscreeley wrote: ↑
12 Feb 2019, 09:04
Well, it's too bad the characters just weren't done well. That can definitely spoil a book, even though it was unpredictable. I like relatable characters, so I think I'm going to have to pass on this. Thanks, though.
I agree. What is a book without good characters? Thanks for stopping by! :text-thankyoublue:
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

sarahmarlowe

Post by sarahmarlowe » 19 Feb 2019, 13:10

briellejee wrote: ↑
12 Feb 2019, 20:52
I like science fiction books that are well-described, including the technology with it. However, I am more inclined to read a book with a good plot but with well-developed characters. Once you cannot make your characters relatable or even interesting enough, readers will find it tedious to read on. Pity how this book turned out despite the good plot and the vivid writing style of the author. Thanks for this honest review! :tiphat:
Yes! I agree with you completely. Good characters are so important to a good book. Thanks for stopping by. :text-thankyoublue:
sarahmarlowe

sarahmarlowe

Post by sarahmarlowe » 19 Feb 2019, 13:11

Cecilia_L wrote: ↑
13 Feb 2019, 22:23
I appreciate your perseverance and your honest review. I find it really hard to enjoy a book when I can't connect with the characters.
Hehe! Yes, "perseverance" is a great word.

Thanks for stopping by! :text-thankyoublue:
sarahmarlowe

sarahmarlowe

Post by sarahmarlowe » 19 Feb 2019, 13:13

HRichards wrote: ↑
16 Feb 2019, 19:46
That's disappointing. The book sounds interesting on the surface so it's a shame it doesn't deliver.

Yes! I was excited to read this book based on the description. "Disappointing" is a good word here.
Thanks for stopping by! :text-thankyoublue:
sarahmarlowe

sarahmarlowe

Post by sarahmarlowe » 19 Feb 2019, 13:14

cornelia_SD wrote: ↑
17 Feb 2019, 01:16
I love sci-fi books, but would definitely go for those stories with good character and interesting plot development. Thank you for your review.
Yes! Me, too. I love good books that I can get involved with. Thanks for stopping by!
:text-thankyoublue:
sarahmarlowe

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”