Official Review: The Secret of the Zipacna Dragons

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
ZenaLei7
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 45
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 36
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 43
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Take a Walk with Me by Caroline Street

Official Review: The Secret of the Zipacna Dragons

Post by ZenaLei7 » 30 Jan 2019, 22:21

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Secret of the Zipacna Dragons" by S.P. Jayaraj.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Secret of the Zipacna Dragons by S.P. Jayaraj is a coming of age novel filled with adventure, action, and fantasy. Set in a world called Adijari, the elves, devs, amenshas, and the qui-lakhs face a common enemy, the dragons, who are known for terrorizing any who dare to defy them.

Divided into two books, the first book follows Gradni and his journey to become the dragon slayer that will get rid of all the dragons. After the death of Gradni's father, Gradni is thrown into an orphanage where his tough demeanor and arrogant personality isolated him from the others. When he gets into a fight with one of the boys in his town, one thing leads to another, and he is given a choice to either stay behind and face the consequences or to leave and train as a dragon slayer. He chooses to become a dragon slayer, so he is sent off to Delthurk, an elven base used to train soldiers for their battles against the dragons. As he begins to train as a dragon slayer, he comes across multiple obstacles that make him question his true purpose of being at Delthurk. Meanwhile, Erdun, another dragon slayer, is being trained by Ta’ar and the Disciples of Gaorda. Unlike Gradni, Erdun seems inhuman and indifferent to the world around him. In the second book, Gradni finally confronts his greatest foes, but he comes across someone who changes everything that he thought was true about dragons.

From the start of the book, I was immediately pulled into the world of Adijari. The author did a wonderful job with creating a complex plotline with dynamic and vibrant characters. The descriptive action scenes, as well as the different viewpoints of the various characters, made me feel like I was in the novel. Moreover, the plot was suspenseful and it never had a dull moment. What I liked the most about this book was the intricate storyline that included vivid action scenes and interesting characters. There wasn't anything that I didn't like about the book either.

Although there were many characters that came from different lands, it was not hard to keep track of where each character came from and what part they played in the story. While the elves are known for being able to harness the power of nature, the amenshas are able to channel the power of the earth and adapt to whatever land they travel to. Gradni is an elf who is hard-headed and stubborn, but he is loyal and has a good heart. Mogurn is the senator that recruited Gradni into the war against dragons, and while his actions seem innocent at first, there is something sinister and cunning about him.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the intricate world of Adijari and all of its inhabitants. Other than the one grammatical error that I came across, this book was free of any grammatical errors or spelling mistakes. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy reading fantasy books filled with mythical creatures.

The Secret of the Zipacna Dragons
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by kdstrack » 02 Feb 2019, 09:48

This sounds like an amazing fantasy read. I appreciate that you clarified that the author does a good job of describing the different creatures and their powers. Books that introduce new names and novel creatures often become confusing. Your high rating of the book is very encouraging. Thanks for your interesting review.

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: Winning The War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jessacardinal » 02 Feb 2019, 11:42

Dynamic, vibrant characters are so important in creating a successful read. The suspenseful plot makes the book sound like a phenomenal getaway for readers who like the fantasy genre.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Raven Dock by Sara Caldwell

Post by kandscreeley » 02 Feb 2019, 13:03

I enjoy books where the world is so well built. I'm curious about these dragon slayers and their training. Sounds fascinating. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

linham02660
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 77
Currently Reading: The Sparrow
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linham02660.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by linham02660 » 03 Feb 2019, 09:51

Good review, Thanks. I love fantasy and Sci-fi. Dragons are always fun in books. I put it on my list to read. Thanks again.

Nyambura Githui
2018 Reading Goal: 7
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 128
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby

Post by Nyambura Githui » 05 Feb 2019, 00:57

Great review. I love any fantasy books with dragons. Always interesting and fun to read. I'll definitely look out for it.

ShelleyMeeks
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by ShelleyMeeks » 07 Feb 2019, 15:26

Thanks for the review of this seemingly fascinating book. My favorite escape reading is the fantasy genre and this one is going on my "To Read" list. I really need to know more about devs, amenshas, and the qui-lakhs. I am also hoping that dragons don't remain the terrorizing foe throughout the story. Dragons get such a bad rap.

Goldencheese3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goldencheese3.html
Latest Review: Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier

Post by Goldencheese3 » 09 Feb 2019, 02:14

Awesome review. I am already salivating to read this book. Thanks

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”