Official Review: Star Marque Rising by Shami Stoivall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Official Review: Star Marque Rising by Shami Stoivall

Post by Kendra M Parker »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Star Marque Rising" by Shami Stoivall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Clevon Demarco just wants to get off of Capital Station. Having spent his life trying to survive as a thug for the various gangs on the station, he is willing to risk it all to escape. Demarco enters a death match to obtain the credits he needs to buy passage to a planet. Even though his genetic enhancements enable him to quickly win the battle, things immediately go wrong as he attempts to secure passage off of the space station. Demarco finds himself detained on an enforcer starship called The Star Marque. When Captain Endellion offers him a full pardon for his crimes in exchange for joining the crew, Demarco quickly accepts the offer and proves himself a valuable addition. Despite Demarco’s anti-hero stance at the beginning, he quickly finds himself inspired by Captain Endellion’s dreams and the challenges she presents to him. As Demarco grows in confidence and becomes one of Captain Endellion’s right-hands, he discovers that her methods and dreams may be darker than he originally thought.

Shami Stovall’s Star Marque Rising provided much more than I expected. Her three-dimensional characters captured my interest as they showed growth throughout the novel. While Demarco narrates the book in the first-person, the secondary characters prove to be almost as interesting as the main character. Each character has flaws and a history, which get shared with Demarco and the reader at exactly the right time to provide the most impact on the story.

Demarco particularly captured my interest with his rather mercenary self-view. In contrast, he shows time and again with his actions that he has more compassion and leadership ability than he admits even to himself. I loved the way Stovall allows him to grow and eventually see his value as both a person and a leader. She even allows him to wrestle with some deep philosophical and ethical questions about free-will and what it means to be a leader.

While I thoroughly enjoyed this book, there are elements that make it inappropriate for some readers. There is a significant amount of strong language, though it seemed appropriate for the characters when used. Additionally, sex is treated casually; one character even calls Demarco a “horn dog” for his willingness to bed anyone, male or female. Despite his willingness, there are relatively few sex scenes, and those that do appear are more suggested instead of detailed. This book also contains a fair amount of violence, but again, it is not graphically detailed to readers. Still, I would only recommend this book to mature readers that are not easily offended by these elements.

Overall, I give Star Marque Rising 4 out of 4 stars. This book is extremely well written and edited. Plot elements work together to create a complete, engaging storyline. Characters grow and mature, making it enjoyable to read about them. The world building that went into the novel shows that the author has taken her time to be consistent and create an incredible world to explore. Even though this is the first book of a series, I felt satisfied with its ending. Stovall completed this plotline while still leaving the door open for more adventures with these characters. I highly recommend this book to fans of space opera and space travel adventures, especially those that enjoy a good caper in this genre.

Star Marque Rising
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kendra M Parker's review? Post a comment saying so!
Hamzavirk
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hamzavirk »

omg 😮 this book is so well written that its storyline is so awesome and its just like a live movie against my eyes.. i love this book love you soo much from my heart ❣...
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The characters in this book sound fascinating. Travel between planets and genetic enhancing are two engrossing themes. I really like the story line, but the strong language and sex scenes put up a wall for me. Thanks for your compelling review.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Demarco sounds like quite the character. I am glad the book lacks detailed accounts of his random sexual endeavors.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Great world building and well-developed characters both add a great touch to science fiction. Despite being a 'horn-dog,' I think I would like a character like Demarco. Great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the premise behind the book. The fact that the characters are so realistic makes me very interested. However, the mature themes give me pause. I'm glad that they aren't too detailed, not they don't sound necessary to the story at all. I'm torn here.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

This surely does seem like a unique read. The detail in your review is unmatched. Good work.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

Hamzavirk wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 09:22 omg 😮 this book is so well written that its storyline is so awesome and its just like a live movie against my eyes.. i love this book love you soo much from my heart ❣...
That’s exactly what I was thinking as I read this book! It’s awesome, and I am seriously in love with this author, now.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

kdstrack wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 09:57 The characters in this book sound fascinating. Travel between planets and genetic enhancing are two engrossing themes. I really like the story line, but the strong language and sex scenes put up a wall for me. Thanks for your compelling review.
I definitely wanted to include that sort of information so people don’t pick up this book and feel like it was a waste of time or money. If it’s not for you, that’s fine!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

Jessacardinal wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 11:52 Demarco sounds like quite the character. I am glad the book lacks detailed accounts of his random sexual endeavors.
Demarco vaguely reminded me of Vin Diesel’s character from the Pitch Black series. I kept picturing someone like Vin Diesel as I read this book. And I agree, it’s nice that the author sort of pans away as the those sexual encounters occur.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

Ever_Reading wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 12:16 Great world building and well-developed characters both add a great touch to science fiction. Despite being a 'horn-dog,' I think I would like a character like Demarco. Great review!
I found Demarco’s character to be very enjoyable. So many times those “horn dogs” can be such a pain to read, but Stovall played him just right. He talks a bigger game than he plays! :D
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 13:13 I love the premise behind the book. The fact that the characters are so realistic makes me very interested. However, the mature themes give me pause. I'm glad that they aren't too detailed, not they don't sound necessary to the story at all. I'm torn here.
If this were a movie, I think I’d give it an R rating primarily for the language. The other mature themes are about a PG-13 level.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

DogoMulla wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 21:22 This surely does seem like a unique read. The detail in your review is unmatched. Good work.
Thank you for such a nice compliment!
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 13:00
Ever_Reading wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 12:16 Great world building and well-developed characters both add a great touch to science fiction. Despite being a 'horn-dog,' I think I would like a character like Demarco. Great review!
I found Demarco’s character to be very enjoyable. So many times those “horn dogs” can be such a pain to read, but Stovall played him just right. He talks a bigger game than he plays! :D
Oh dear, I just reread what I wrote. That dangling modifier in some way implies that I'm the 'horn-dog' :lol2: :oops2:
Anyway, I'm glad his bark is worse than his bite.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Travel between planets has always been a fascinating read for me. I'll look out for it. Good review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”