Official Review: The Good Guy by Justin Fraser

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: The Good Guy by Justin Fraser

Post by lesler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Good Guy" by Justin Fraser.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Good Guy by Justin Fraser is the stunning story of a villain named Ray Peril and his sisters Tammy and Ursgelda. Written from the perspective of Tammy, Ray fights the world, one species at a time. First, a community of werewolves is out to end Ray's life, then werewolves, then a different mix of interesting monsters determined to end the three siblings for eternity. Filled with humor, lighthearted banter, and action, this science fiction novel does not disappoint.

To help better serve the family, Tammy becomes a bizarre hybrid animal/vampire/robot, and she struggles to verbalize what she is feeling. Renamed Silence, the creature considers Ray her savior, all while he is inflicting chaos upon the universe. The three siblings do not stay in one place for long, inviting destruction along their path to make the world a better place. This book is written from the perspective of the anti-heroes, and their ultimate struggle is intriguing.

I loved this book from start to finish, and loved the writing style of the author. The narrative shifts between the three main characters throughout the chapters, and the author does an amazing job making clear that these three characters have much different thinking processes. These three all banded together because of necessity, and they became a superhero team of sorts. I laughed out loud at some of the dialogue between Ray and his aggressors, and the action scenes were thrilling. I especially enjoyed the relationship between Ursgelda and Silence, who are very different characters and may love each other, but don't necessarily like each other.

This book appears to be professionally edited, with no grammatical errors or typos that I noticed. This is a substantial read, being over 800 pages in length, and not for the light-hearted. I had trouble putting this book down, as the writing flows so well, and the storyline is so interesting. The opening scene of the small town bar and Ray coming in to get rid of the "vampire problem" had me hooked right away.

I give The Good Guy by Justin Fraser 4 out of 4 stars, for its interesting storyline, intriguing characters, and vivid imagery. I recommend this book for any science fiction lover looking for their next big read involving the supernatural. This book could also be characterized as Twilight fan fiction, with the multiple plot twists involving vampires and werewolves. While graphic, this book would be excellent for the teenager looking for their next fantasy novel.

The Good Guy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like lesler's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! That's quite a long read. I don't mind books that long as long as they are good. It definitely sounds like this one fits the bill. I'm most interested in Tammy. What exactly is she and how does she end up helping? Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

800 is a lot but i added to shelf already. i am intrigued by these kinds of stories, the characters sound so interesting and i am especially excited for the banter between the siblings. Silence sounds like such a cool name for a cool character, one that evil should feared. Thanks for this wonderful review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”