Official Review: What I've Become by Knight Breeze

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: What I've Become by Knight Breeze

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What I've Become" by Knight Breeze.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What I've Become by Knight Breeze is a novel that blends science fiction and fantasy themes. It centers around a human, Alex, who has been transformed into a horrific monster and is now stranded on a planet inhabited by avian aliens who can wield magic. The book is told from Alex's perspective, as well as the perspectives of several of the avian aliens, as they attempt to protect their world from the forces that transformed Alex in the first place.

I had a great time reading this book. It's a fun, action-filled romp that explores themes about what it means to be human, how people can set aside their differences to coexist, and, of course, how magic and technology interact. It tells a cohesive narrative and utilizes multiple perspectives far more effectively than most professionally published books I've read, with distinct styles for each character that keep readers from becoming confused.

The writing is witty and charming, with well-developed and unique characters that tackle problems in believable ways. For example, the two rulers of the world, a scholar king and a warrior queen, have very different reactions to learning that a monstrosity like Alex exists. It's refreshing that their conflict is resolved in a realistic way that isn't drawn out for contrived drama.

It should be said that What I've Become takes its own premise somewhat lightly - even Alex comments on how similar the world he is stranded on is to Earth, and the magic used in the book is vaguely defined. The aliens, despite speaking in a different language, use colloquialisms common to Earth, with one alien even referring to Earth directly in her speech. In my opinion, this works with the book's light tone, and it even helps distinguish the perspectives of all of the characters. It's certainly a departure from more "mature" science fiction that defines all of its rules clearly, so that distinction is important to keep in mind if you're considering reading this book.

Unfortunately, What I've Become falls into the same trap as many self-published novels. Its editing is somewhat poor, with typos and incorrect punctuation. Some perspective shifts happen in the middle of chapters with no warning, and the ending, at least in the copy I received, is abrupt and somewhat jarring. These narrative leaps make it more difficult to appreciate the overall flow of the story, and they certainly break immersion at times.

Despite these imperfections, I rate What I've Become 3 out of 4 stars. Due to the lack of sexual content, it's suitable for younger readers, though I can see even mature audiences enjoying this book. It's worth reading if you're interested in exploring how magic intersects with technology, as long as you can look past the editing, which can be somewhat lacking. Fans of more serious science fiction aren't likely to enjoy this book.

What I've Become
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

At first glance, the cover of this book makes me feel as if I may suffer from terrifying nightmares after reading this story. I am pleasantly surprised to later read your review, which suggests it would be a decent read.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I was impacted by the cover also. Your review presents a totally different story line than what I would have expected. This sounds interesting and your high rating motivates me to rethink my initial opinion! Great review.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

The plot has potentials, it really interests me but I'm not sure about the vague ending. I'd love a crescendo when I'm reading a book like that and I'm afraid this one isn't offering it. Do you think the ending was worth the reading?
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

This sounds quite interesting. what caught my attention from your review was "how people can set aside their differences to coexist". if only the world could find this antidote, it will truly be a better place. thanks for the lovely review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do like sci fi with these types of themes. I hope Alex finds a way to get along with the indigent species. I'll consider this. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Just like other reviewers I saw the cover and thought to myself, horror read. However, the detailed review clears up the misunderstanding. I think the read would be more suitable for me, as I am not into intense sci-fi. Thanks for the review, I'll be sure to give the read a try.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

The cover sure didn't appeal to me at all, but the review sounds like the book is far better than the cover would let on.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”