Official Review: Trent Foster & The Council of 10

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: Trent Foster & The Council of 10

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Trent Foster & The Council of 10" by Matt Whiteside.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What would you do if you suddenly discovered you are wanted by ancient intergalactic beings and that you have nearly unlimited powers? This is exactly the question Trent must answer in Trent Foster and the Council of 10 by Matt Whiteside. Lately, Trent has been depressed. His life feels empty, and his job as a personal trainer just isn’t fulfilling anymore. Everything changes, though, when Trent’s apartment is blown up and Trent is kidnapped.

Rainjier is a Sentinel, a being with magnificent abilities tasked with keeping the galaxy safe. When the Council (ten beings who give the Sentinels their assignments) start gunning for Trent, Rainjier knows something’s wrong. Trent has no history of violence and can’t possibly be a threat to the galaxy. He rushes to Earth and gets Trent before the real bad guys can. Along with Trent’s dog and co-worker, Trent and Rainjier must figure out why the Council wants Trent, as well as what Trent’s powers are, before the other Sentinels catch them.

This book contains a fantastic adventure. From the first explosion, the action takes off running. Once Trent comes into his powers, things get even more interesting, as his abilities seem almost limitless. This could have had the effect of making Trent overcome everything too easily, but the author did a great job of keeping the threat real.

Speaking of the threat, the Sentinels were my favorite part of this book. There were several from different planets. Their various appearances added a nice touch. For example, a giant Sentinel captures Trent’s friend Ferra. At one point aboard the Sentinel’s ship, Ferra has to use the facilities, which are appropriately sized for her captor. The result was quite humorous. The array of powers was fascinating, too. One Sentinel could create stunningly realistic visual and auditory illusions. Another has abilities similar to the sirens of Greek myth, and it turns out she’s descended from them.

While the story had a lot of potential, the writing left me wanting. The attitudes of many of the characters were cynical, which is putting it mildly. Almost any time someone was genuine or heartfelt, at least two other characters would make fun of that person for thinking something nice. I wonder if this was supposed to be humorous, and if it had been a few isolated incidents, it may have been. But it happened so much that I got to the point where I just wanted anyone to be supportive of anything.

The book also was not very well-edited. There were punctuation marks missing or misused throughout. There were also many typos, such as “off” rather than “of” when Trent is filling his dog’s food bowl early on in the book. The book is mainly in past tense, but there were several places where a paragraph or two would suddenly shift to present. This jarred me from the story every time it happened, and it took me a bit to get back in.

Due to the errors and a general discontent with the writing’s overall tone, I rate Trent Foster and the Council of 10 2 out of 4 stars. The story concept brings my rating up from 1. Toward the end, I briefly thought about giving this 3, but without spoiling, the ending did something strange that confused me and lowered my rating back to 2. There are quite a few instances of adult language and thoughts in this book, which means I recommend it only for readers aged eighteen and up. Fans of superhero fiction or science fiction adventure stories might enjoy this book. If it bothers you, beware the cynicism. Otherwise, hop aboard a ship and join Trent on a journey into the unknown.

Trent Foster & The Council of 10
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the editing in this one because the plot does sound intriguing. I have to wonder what makes Trent so special and what's going to happen to him. The cynical nature of the characters is a bit odd, though. I think I'll skip this one. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Good review. Am all for books about galactic beings, but I'll have to skip this one. Am curious though about Trent's unlimited powers.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

This doesn't sound like my cup of tea, however, I bet the action is great for a reader interested in the genre!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I quite like cynicism, but I guess it gets monotonous if that's all there is, and it probably needs to strike the right humorous note too. Shame the writing didn't make the most of the great premise about the Sentinels.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I not actually a fan of this kind of book. All the same thank you for the review
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I was excited about the unlimited superpowers! The errors and cynicism brought me back to reality. Thanks for an excellent review.
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

Trent's adventures with his powers that are limitless would have been fun to read, it is a pity that it is not well edited. Thanks for the lovely review.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

"What would you do if you suddenly discovered you are wanted by ancient intergalactic beings and that you have nearly unlimited powers?"
I would totally freak out. First, for fear for my life and second, I have powers!!!!
I appreciate the book's storyline however editing issues are normally a turn off for me. I hope the author heeds to the comments of the reviewer and professionally edits the read; maybe then I'll reconsider.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”