Official Review: The Other Side by Dan Pagano

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: The Other Side by Dan Pagano

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Other Side" by Dan Pagano.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Other Side by Dan Pagano combines different religious aspects of the world beyond while exploring the struggle between good and evil. It is the late 1700s and the French revolution is looming closer. Jude St. Simon has just become aware of his ability to see ghosts. He comes to learn that he belongs to a special order that has been tasked with the responsibility of maintaining the balance of power on earth. Jude’s journey will take him in front of gods to fight for the fate of mankind and his three friends. Through it all, he will question his competence and strength, die and wake up in strange lands, fight evil and live through different time dimensions.

I liked the opening scene. It features Jude as he identifies a strange-looking person who does not appear fully human. The ghost starts talking to him. The scene is gripping and it quickly drew me in. Jude later experiences apprehension as his friends mock his story.

I also liked the backdrop of the plot. The author chooses a time of mayhem and political upheaval to heighten the chaos and uncertainty experienced by Jude. Different time periods are also incorporated and Jude gets a glimpse of the 21st Century towards the end. This combination makes the work even more interesting. It also highlights the conflict in the book which involves the dispute between good and evil.

The antagonist is well-developed. He is frightening and powerful which makes Jude’s quest even harder. The Nameless, who is the antagonist, lures one of Jude’s friends to his side which further toughens Jude’s task. The Nameless is also accompanied by hordes of followers and seems to be indestructible.

I did not like the complexity of the plot. Jude seems to have too many roles to play. His role as the character who can speak to ghosts disappears at some point in the book. On top of Jude’s responsibilities, there are so many characters in the book which made it confusing. In almost every part of Jude’s journey, he encounters new characters. This, combined with a mix of different religious personalities and notions, makes the book overly complex and hinders the harmony of various sections.

On grammar, I only identified a few errors which were not too distracting. The Other Side by Dan Pagano has many great aspects and is bound to captivate lovers of science-fiction books who love elements of time travel and spirituality. Readers who prefer simpler plots and different genres to that of the book may not enjoy it. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

The Other Side
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Meeting new characters is great, it sometime may happen to us in our lives, but one its way forgetting your own character isn't acceptable. Interesting fantasy read, and thank you for your input!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I love the story line, I think the complexity will be better understood, if adapted to a seasonal movie. Great review!
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I am not usually a fan of the earlier time periods, however, I agree the combination of later time periods must make the story extremely interesting.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author has come up with a unique story line. Jude's experiences with ghosts, gods, good and evil sound interesting. I like your analysis of the plot. Thanks for an interesting review.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

The story sounds very interesting, especially about Jude's ability to see ghosts. Great review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Too many characters can definitely confuse things. Jude seems realistic and capable, but I'm not sure about the good versus evil. Thanks for the great review, though. Very informative.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

When I saw the cover, I thought,'spooooky'.If I was Judes's friend, I would also not believe him. It's one of those things you have to see for yourself to believe. Either way, this isn't my kind of book and I will not be reading it. Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”