Official Review: Code: Revelation by Boris Sanders

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Official Review: Code: Revelation by Boris Sanders

Post by Samy Lax »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Code: Revelation" by Boris Sanders.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When the constant nitpicking by a petty boss flares into an ambition to act and stop the mental torture once and for all, Maximilian Gutenberg (Max) finds himself depressed and living life like an automaton. Most of the time, he doesn’t even get enough time to go gift shopping for his girlfriend on their anniversary. And when he finally manages to pick up a gift from a dusty old shop, his life gets completely transformed. Well, the gift was beautiful but not as special as the gift box, which holds a small crystal that is “home” to a being with supernatural powers and superhuman wisdom.

I grew up with fairy tales and a strong belief in magic and can claim a fair amount of ease with accepting things that seem just unrealistic in books as being perfectly plausible. Overall, the premise of Code: Revelation by Boris Sanders exceeded expectations. There were some characters shown from the time of Alexander the Great and then some more from Napoleon’s time, but then most of the book shows a time in the future where humans live in vertical structures and next to no independent accommodations due to the lack of space and some benefit-based planning.

One of the wonderful elements of this story was the capacity for character growth. Both human and supernatural characters are shown to be relatively flawed and limited, which then allows them to learn and change much like any one of us. Evidence of growth and development is especially abundant in Max, the main character, but it is also extremely noticeable in each of the other characters: primary and secondary actors alike. This makes the characters much more real as well as more relatable (and likable, in some cases).

I have always been a fan of fantasies but a lot of the fantasy books lately have let me down due to their extremely depressing dystopia themes or their lack of any sort of connection to the reality in which we live. In this case, however, I think that Boris Sanders has risen above these common snags and found a way to create a fantasy world that is firmly rooted in reality and presents a theme that is truly unique and enjoyable.

However, I have a huge issue with the fact that no professional copy editing was done for the book. I wonder if someone had taken the effort to re-read the book after the first draft was made ready. There were too many typos throughout the book. "What was the point of trying to explain himself to that man, which obviously hated him..." is just one example of a mutilated phrase. The frequent grammatical and punctuation errors made the book frustrating to read, something I was hoping would not happen–considering how engaging the rest of the book was.

I always love it when I stumble across books that don’t allow me to guess what is going to happen the next minute, and I think Code: Revelation easily falls into that category. Overall, this book  seems to have some strong elements in place–elegant execution, convincing characters, and creative control. However, it also has to its disadvantage an appalling number of grammatical errors. Taking these into consideration, I would rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. If you are interested in fantasy stories that paint a never-before-seen picture of the future, then Code: Revelation would be right up your alley. However, if you are not too comfortable with dystopia/stories with supernatural beings, you just might want to stay away from this one.

Code: Revelation
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Samy Lax's review? Post a comment saying so!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

Sounds like an interesting read. From the cover of the book I thought that the book would be a crime thriller of some sorts. I've read a couple of reviews for this book and all the reviewers are complaining about word choices and the grammatical errors that the author made. I don't think that I'll be reading it. Great review though.
TJanowski23
Currently Reading: Winning the battle against sin
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjanowski23.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by TJanowski23 »

Thanks for the review. I'll pass on this one. I'm not a big enough fan of fantasy to overlook the errors.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can identify with Max already, and I find myself wondering what happens to him after finding this special item. However, just from the sentence you gave I can tell that this would be a hard read. I hope that the author can do some revision to make this one a bit more readable. I would love to pick it up then! Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I love that there is such great character development in this book. An unpredictable plot is even better! It sounds like this book will be phenomenal with some time spent editing.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

Darlynn_Tebogo wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 06:42 Sounds like an interesting read. From the cover of the book I thought that the book would be a crime thriller of some sorts. I've read a couple of reviews for this book and all the reviewers are complaining about word choices and the grammatical errors that the author made. I don't think that I'll be reading it. Great review though.
Yeah, the word choices and grammatical errors do have a way of spoiling the entire experience this book has to offer.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :tiphat:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This author seems to have a creative mind with new ideas about the future. I think this book would be extremely interesting were it not for the errors mentioned. Thanks for your thoughtful and honest review.
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

TJanowski23 wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 07:54 Thanks for the review. I'll pass on this one. I'm not a big enough fan of fantasy to overlook the errors.
The book is fully fantasy-based, so I see why it might not be your cup of tea.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :gay-rainbow:
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

kandscreeley wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 09:20 I can identify with Max already, and I find myself wondering what happens to him after finding this special item. However, just from the sentence you gave I can tell that this would be a hard read. I hope that the author can do some revision to make this one a bit more readable. I would love to pick it up then! Thanks.
Yeah, it was a pain to read and re-read the sentences to fully understand the whole book. Otherwise, the book had a lot of potential.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

Jessacardinal wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 15:19 I love that there is such great character development in this book. An unpredictable plot is even better! It sounds like this book will be phenomenal with some time spent editing.
That's true. Some editing effort could do wonders for this book.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

The grammatical errors would be too much for me to bear. Thanks for the review though.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I like character-development and good plot description. But too many errors pulls me off the book. Thanks for this honest review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”