Official Review: Seeking The HUZ by Marty Thompson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: Seeking The HUZ by Marty Thompson

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Seeking The HUZ" by Marty Thompson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Seeking the HUZ by Marty Thompson is a sci-fi/fantasy book that narrates a young man's adventures as he finds himself while studying and documenting a peculiar group of women.

Paul Alice had always been fascinated by gorgeous women. The type of woman he pursued was high maintenance, and he knew she was out of his league. Paul soon discovered an underlying mystery that motivated him to continue with his quest. On her deathbed, his grandmother told him about the HUZ. These women possessed supernatural abilities and used their charm to torment men. Paul knew that was the kind of woman he wanted to tame, and his grandmother was privy to this information because she was a HUZ. She told Paul some of the HUZ's secrets, narrated their history, and encouraged him to travel south to conquer these creatures. The mission revealed some cryptic information that would define Paul's destiny.

I like how the author blended fact with fiction to create a gripping tale. He let readers in on the HUZ's history and recounted their love-hate relationship with the CIA. The author also included a healthy dose of the supernatural, which complemented some of the HUZ's characteristics. These women were always discrete, and the untrained eye couldn't distinguish them from ordinary women. The influence of external forces also came into play when Paul deviated from the plan, but a mysterious force set him on the intended path. He wasn't alone because his grandmother's spirit guided him every step of the way.

It was a delight to journey with Paul and watch him grapple with pursuing his interests at the expense of fulfilling the prophecy. His selfishness created many subplots throughout the book, and his carefree spirit came in handy when venturing into the unknown. Because there isn't an antagonist getting in Paul's way, he's responsible for his victory. Like the rest of us, he tries to ignore reality when faced with the consequences of his actions. The book's main characters are well developed and relatable, but the minor characters disappeared as soon as they outlived their usefulness. I see this as a positive because it allows readers to appreciate the plot development without lingering on minute details.

There's nothing I didn't like about this book. The story is well written and exceptionally edited. I didn't spot any errors, which is another reason to award it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It is an exciting read that would appeal to a wide audience. I will, therefore, recommend it to lovers of mystery stories and people who enjoy adventure-based books.

Seeking The HUZ
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

The Plot sounds mysterious. I'd like to find out what the connection between the HUZ and the CIA is. I won this book on Amazon and found the description a bit boring. But after your review I'll definitely give it a try. Great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The HUZ almost sound like some type of siren. It's an interesting concept that isn't explored as much in science fiction. It's my favorite genre, so I might have to try it. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

Seeking the HUZ by Marty Thompson is a sci-fi/fantasy book that narrates a young man's adventures as he finds himself while studying and documenting a peculiar group of women. Sounds intriguing already!

I feel like Paul is an interesting character but the women he's into seems more intriguing.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This book seems to have an intriguing plot. Your review does a good job of increasing the mystery surrounding the Huz. Thanks for this suspenseful review!
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I couldn't help but chuckle after reading your first sentence. I wonder if there is a group of people out there who think women as a whole are nothing but peculiar at times! All kidding aside, this tale sounds quite gripping indeed.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

The fact that Paul's mum was Huz and Paul is on a mission conquer this creature makes the story intriguing. I need to read this book. Great review!
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

Paul's adventure to the south will obviously be thrilling but it will be so much more fascinating to see him fulfil his purpose. Great review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”