Official Review: Blocks by Tara Basi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Official Review: Blocks by Tara Basi

Post by Ekta Kumari »

A suspenseful sci-fi would certainly be a great read. I've no problem with changing viewpoints as long as it doesn't seem out of place and adds to the suspense of the storyline. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I'll try out the sample and see if I can consider it for future reading. Thank you so much for the well-written review.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
rruchishrimalli
Currently Reading: No Dark Clouds
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rruchishrimalli.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by rruchishrimalli »

Reading the first few lines of the review, I almost thought that Blocks by Tara Basi would be a childish book that my 40-year old self would not like to read. But as I went on reading, I found that it was more like a science fiction + fantasy novel - the genres that I always have been in love with. Looking forward to reading Blocks and looking at the imaginary world it paints.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

This sounds like a really good post-apocalyptic sci-fi novel, which i am usually pretty interested in. The blurb and review definitely caught my attention. I'd love to check this book out.
Kimberly Grow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimberly-grow.html
Latest Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Post by Kimberly Grow »

Great review! I am so glad you liked the story. Your favor shines in this review.

I read the sample and I enjoy how the chapters jump from one set of characters to another. I found that to be interesting and helped me to slow down my breathing after the first chapter, which was packed with action. I am not generally a fan of sci-fi, but I think that this may be changing as I have found myself enjoying it more and more lately.
"If you don't see the book you want on the shelf, write it." -Beverly Cleary :techie-studyingbrown:
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 554
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

The existence of large monoliths on the Earth's surface always fascinated me and in Blocks, the author tried to explain the mysterious existence of these blocks.
Ub43I59
Favorite Book: For the Love of God
Currently Reading: The Judge
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by Ub43I59 »

Blocks by Tara Basi takes fast-paced sci-fi action from darkness on the ground, with fearful runaway boys under the gray monolith, to the light of space as returning scientists are filled with trepidation at their surprising discovery..."no one home." Cliffhangers indeed. Detailed review, :tiphat: Congrats on BOTD.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: A Captive in Algiers
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

I have to agree, after only reading the sample I did not want to stop reading! This sounds like it’s going to be a great book.
AnnUdeh98
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AnnUdeh98 »

Wow. The book sounds like an adventure, like what I'd like to experience firsthand. Sci-fi is one of my fave and I would be more than thrilled to journey in my fantasies when I do get a hold of this book
Ob-2019
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Ob-2019 »

Official Review: Blocks by Tara Basi
. The review of the book is very interesting and simply draws you to the book. I am not much of a science-fiction reader but it has caught my attention. Well done for doing a good review on BLOCKS. The author, Tara Basi must be commended for writing such a catchy book.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Sci-Fi isn't usually my go-to genre, but the plot of this one is intriguing. The suspense and action are also bonuses. I just hope the constant changes in viewpoints don't get me confused.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

MsTri wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 05:04 Blocks was the epitome of "unputdownable" for me, as it was full of suspense. From the first page, this story hit the ground running and rarely let up. Even though the action wasn't dialed up to high every moment, there was a steady flow of enthralling occurrences that kept me from growing bored. I found myself staying up late at night, obsessively reading page after glorious page because I just had to know what happened next. The author used the trick of changing viewpoints almost every chapter, resulting in 13 small cliffhangers as well.
I agree with you that the book opens up with a lot of action, mystery, and suspense, as Battery Boy and Stuff are trying to survive. The scenes that I have read were described very well, and the author draws the reader in as there are mysterious monoliths. I, too, am going to have to keep reading this one to the end and possibly all of the books in the series.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I love science fiction, and I've grown rather fond of postapocalyptic fiction over the years. I'm also very curious as to what these "blocks" might be. After all, we're still trying to determine the entire story behind Stonehenge, so it's clear that such a mystery is one that we as humans will never leave alone. The postapocalyptic and science fiction elements just add to the intrigue. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Dominic kimwele
Favorite Book: Strong Heart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 111

Post by Dominic kimwele »

The reviewer has done an appealing job. So far I love the piece that I have read. Sci-Fi is normally my favorite fiction. From what I read I liked the character in Stuff.
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

Im getting tired of dystopian stories so Im not sure if this for me or what. I'll just add this in my shelf for now. Thanks.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

The crew of a spaceship returns to earth and are met with a deserted landscape with little human activity. The planet is almost unrecognizable as monoliths dominate the landscape, hence the crew has to discover new survival mechanisms.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”