Official Review: The Size of the Moon by E.J. Michaels

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: Official Review: The Size of the Moon by E.J. Michaels

Post by briellejee »

At the first part, I was actually thinking to read the book because it has a promising plot, and the characters sound superb. However, seeing that it is indeed confusing, I might be steering clear away from this. Would have been nice if the author laid out a proper description of who is related to whom and if only he translated the foreign words. It's hard to concentrate and focusing on the book if it doesn't hold your attention much. Thanks for this honest review!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

briellejee wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 18:08 At the first part, I was actually thinking to read the book because it has a promising plot, and the characters sound superb. However, seeing that it is indeed confusing, I might be steering clear away from this. Would have been nice if the author laid out a proper description of who is related to whom and if only he translated the foreign words. It's hard to concentrate and focusing on the book if it doesn't hold your attention much. Thanks for this honest review!
It's got potential, but it could use a bit of work. The characters were just too confusing. Thanks for commenting.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

I can understand why it seemed confusing; there should have at least been an elvish glossary of sorts at the end of the book. It's unfortunate because the plot seems to have potential. Either way, thank you for the review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Sahar Majid wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 09:45 I can understand why it seemed confusing; there should have at least been an elvish glossary of sorts at the end of the book. It's unfortunate because the plot seems to have potential. Either way, thank you for the review!
Yes! The plot had great potential. I enjoyed the plot, but I wasn't able to fully understand it because of the difficulties! Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Would the author have had the lunar effect in mind when he/she chose that title? On her own, A'nyiavera would have driven me nuts. Add the challenging foreign words and the puzzling relationships, and I would go bananas. Hey, I think I still have a "fruit salad" hangover from the holidays.

P.S. These fantasy writers need to learn from Rowling. How she was able to make all those characters memorable and distinct remains a fascinating mystery to me. That's magic!
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

A great review, as usual. I'm actually tempted to read the story if only because it takes place in a part of the world where I grew up. I even know the language, so it would be fun for me to read those words within the text.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Miriam Molina wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 22:19 Would the author have had the lunar effect in mind when he/she chose that title? On her own, A'nyiavera would have driven me nuts. Add the challenging foreign words and the puzzling relationships, and I would go bananas. Hey, I think I still have a "fruit salad" hangover from the holidays.

P.S. These fantasy writers need to learn from Rowling. How she was able to make all those characters memorable and distinct remains a fascinating mystery to me. That's magic!
Your comment made me laugh! I completely agree, though. There has to be a way to make the characters memorable with or without using these completely absurd names. :) Thanks for reading!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

kislany wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 03:05 A great review, as usual. I'm actually tempted to read the story if only because it takes place in a part of the world where I grew up. I even know the language, so it would be fun for me to read those words within the text.
Nice! Perhaps you could help me figure out what some of it said. Did you recognize "fer l'amare alkawari"? Or is that actually something he made up? If you could keep track of the names and foreign words, you might actually enjoy it as it is a good story!
—Neil Gaiman
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Wow...It's just heartbreaking to see a very promising book featuring elves (which is always a plus for a dreamy me) turn out to be such a damp squib.

Great review as always!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Samy Lax wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 00:04 Wow...It's just heartbreaking to see a very promising book featuring elves (which is always a plus for a dreamy me) turn out to be such a damp squib.

Great review as always!
I think if the author tweaks things a bit, it will be a great book. I hope that he can do a bit of reworking or add a glossary of words and names! Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

man, I really don't know if I plan on reading this one now. you had me in the beginning but if this is a cliffhanger I don't know if I will be able to stand it. I can usually keep characters straight, and error usually doesn't bother me, but after being required to look closer at books since I have begun reviews even in books I am not required to review I find the errors hard to miss and frustrating. thanks for the review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Sweetp120 wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 00:09 man, I really don't know if I plan on reading this one now. you had me in the beginning but if this is a cliffhanger I don't know if I will be able to stand it. I can usually keep characters straight, and error usually doesn't bother me, but after being required to look closer at books since I have begun reviews even in books I am not required to review I find the errors hard to miss and frustrating. thanks for the review.
If the errors are your issue, I think they would be minor enough they wouldn't bother you. The confusion was really my main issue. If you do try it, let me know what you think.
—Neil Gaiman
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I am a fan of elf stories. I would certainly love to read this book.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Sweet Psamy wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 09:05 I am a fan of elf stories. I would certainly love to read this book.
If you do read it, I hope you enjoy it. :)
—Neil Gaiman
Misael Carlos
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Based on your review, the book really seemed confusing especially to a person like me who gets confused easily. The plot seemed fresh though.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”