Official Review: another World's Kronicles Nomadic Warriors

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: another World's Kronicles Nomadic Warriors

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "another World's Kronicles Nomadic Warriors" by D. R. Simpson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Another World's Kronicles Nomadic Warriors by D. R. Simpson follows the growth of one kingdom ruled by a ruthless sorcerer, who has an insatiable desire to bring all other kingdoms under his rule.

Obizar, the wizard ruler of the Troguare Empire, is determined to extend his kingdom’s territory. No one and nothing has been able to withstand the brutality used by his army. Humans, especially, have experienced the worst of the Troguares’ inhumane torture. After being captured, they are caged and later, they are used as laborers in the new kingdom. Even worse is the treatment of their children and the fact that the Troguares find human flesh a delicacy. Still, King Norval of The Land of the Talishar dares to defy Obizar, but will he succeed in vanquishing the fearsome Troguares?

One of the aspects that I liked about the book is the way scenes and characters are described. D. R. Simpson does not shy away from offering details about ghastly scenes which include brutal battles and the heartbreaking aftermath. The desperation that other rulers feel when they come face to face with Obizar and his army is almost palpable. The horrific treatment of humans under the rule of the Troguares shows how hopeless the situation is.

D. R. Simpson also creates a suspenseful plot which makes the book a page-turner. The antagonist is immortal which accentuates his powerful hold over his expanding empire. The protagonists are faced with what seems like an impossible task given their immortal nature and their lack of knowledge on matters to do with magic. Over centuries, Obizar faces very few obstacles while the other kingdoms continue to suffer as there is no logical solution to put a stop to their misery.

I also liked that within the main plot, there are also many sub-plots and surprising elements. Even as the main plot progresses, different stories are intertwined with it. These stories entail different conflicts and relationships between different kingdoms. In the end, even as all the kingdoms await salvation from Obizar’s rule there are still many exciting strands that continued to capture my attention.

I did not like that the book is a part of a series and hence the conflict is not exhaustively addressed. The wording of the title is also confusing.

The editing of the book is done well. I only identified two errors. Another World's Kronicles Nomadic Warriors is a delightful read for science-fiction fans who prefer themes that present various conflicts. Readers who prefer complete main plots may not enjoy this book. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

another World's Kronicles Nomadic Warriors
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

The antagonist is immortal which accentuates his powerful hold over his expanding empire. The protagonists are faced with what seems like an impossible task given their immortal nature and their lack of knowledge on matters to do with magic. Interesting already! Thanks for a good review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The Troguares' sound like a really special people. I'm feeling like the battles and graphic nature would be a bit too much for me. I enjoy more of a science fiction type story, and this sounds more like fantasy. Still, for those that enjoy lots of fighting and people eating human children, it'd probably be enjoyable. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like the way you highlight the author's vivid descriptions. Some of the themes are too strong for me. The eating of children is over the top. Thanks for your interesting review.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Thank you for the information. I prefer one main plot, therefore, I appreciate the heads up.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Goldencheese3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goldencheese3.html
Latest Review: Code Name: Dodger by Eric Auxier

Post by Goldencheese3 »

Your review makes me yearn for this book. Thanks for a good and an exciting summary.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

The immortal sorcerer and conqueror is really a problem. :wink: Especially for neighboring nations.
This book may be good. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”