Official Review: The Walls of Woodmyst by Robert E Kreig

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: The Walls of Woodmyst by Robert E Kreig

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Walls of Woodmyst" by Robert E Kreig.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fear began when the dead body appeared. The fear increased when a single dark-hooded figure stood watching the village. Next, the lights appeared. That is when the nightly watch began. Such were the occurrences in The Walls of Woodmyst, a suspense-filled book by Robert E Kreig.

In The Walls (for short), the little village of Woodmyst is initially being watched by unknown beings for unknown reasons. While the beings watch, the villagers get more and more terrified yet determined to guard their village. Every night, a watch is kept, and it soon becomes apparent that the enemy is better manned. Not only that, but they also seem to have a "take no prisoners" attitude. As the enemy ups the ante on each successive night, things start to look dire for the villagers. Will they succeed in defending their turf? Moreover, will they find out just why the enemy has focused on them?

I'm so used to reading horror novels full of high-impact action and graphic violence that it was nice to read a tale that was set to simmer rather than boil. The book started off with some light action before slowing down to let the suspense build. As the sun set beyond Woodmyst's walls every evening, I found myself getting more and more frightened, fearful of what the night would bring. I also let out a sigh of relief when morning came but worried whether the day's preparations would be enough for that night. In addition, I figured out a major bit of information just past the 2/3 mark, so I was especially frantic because I didn't know how Mr. Kreig would end his tale. By the time I'd reached the 3/4 mark, I was jumping at every little sound around me in my apartment. Even though I'd already puzzled some things out, there were other things that came as a shock, and I really enjoyed the payoff.

Chief Barnard Shelley was the village leader, but he also leaned heavily on his councilmen, including Richard Dering, Alan Warde, and Michael Forde, among others. I liked nearly everyone involved, but I sometimes wondered how the chief came to his position, as he sometimes seemed to lack in leadership skills. At the same time, I liked that he was willing to listen to his men rather than having a stubborn, know-it-all attitude. As a result, the jury is still out on my having any deeper feelings about him. Of the other main characters, I found Richard to be the most likable, possibly because he seemed to have the best morals of everyone. None of the characters were fleshed-out really well, but I knew enough about them to feel for their plights. I especially admired the emphasis on family; husbands and wives had loving moments with each other and playful moments with their children. Due to some of his actions, Alan's young son, Tomas, brought out my maternal feelings, such as impatience and fear. I also admired the serves' (the author's term for "servants") dedication to duty even in the face of fear. I cannot really say how I felt about the enemy because they were left as mysterious figures without motives for most of the book. If this story was a horror movie, the enemy would be like Michael Myers from the Halloween franchise.

I do wish that the author had included a map of the village, like the pictures that often preface fantasy novels, because I often found myself having difficulty picturing where actions were taking place. This was especially problematic when following the villagers through various twists and turns in their town.

The Walls of Woodmyst had the proper tone and feel for a book of its genre. The writing never suffered from stiffness, but it also wasn't weighed down with inappropriate fancy flourishes. Unfortunately, the great writing did not extend to the grammar, as the tome was full of errors. Missteps included punctuation mishaps, extra words, and incorrect plural forms. There were also a few sentence fragments that were not stylistic in nature. Due to the myriad of typographical errors throughout the book, I'm forced to give this tome 3 out of 4 stars.

Even though I emphasized the slow-burning nature of this story, I don't want to be remiss in noting that there are scenes with graphic violence and descriptions. With that being said, I do recommend this tale for fans of horror, psychological, and paranormal books, as Amazon lists this tome under those genres. Readers who enjoy a good suspense novel that keeps one on the edge of one's seat should also enjoy the story. Due to the scary descriptions of the hooded enemies, I don't think this book is appropriate for young readers or those who are easily spooked.

"I always feel like somebody's watching me!" - Rockwell featuring Michael Jackson.

The Walls of Woodmyst
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Wow, you sound like you were well and truly absorbed by this thrilling story. It is wonderful when a book moves a reader so, and the genre delivers what it ought. I liked your summary of the pros and cons of this book, and despite the errors, I think I would enjoy it. Many thanks for your valuable opinion.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This book sounds very engrossing and interesting. This came to my mind while reading your review as well.
I always feel like somebody's watching me! - Rockwell featuring Michael Jackson.
I'm definitely reading this one, knowing fully-well I'm going to enjoy it like you did.
Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This almost sounds like an M. Night Shamalyan story. It sounds like things aren't quite what they seem. Very interesting. Thanks so much for a great review. I'm not a huge suspense fan, but this one does sound intriguing. I'll have to think about it more.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Seemingly an interesting suspense fiction. Nice and a detailed review. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

sonya01 wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 01:57 Wow, you sound like you were well and truly absorbed by this thrilling story. It is wonderful when a book moves a reader so, and the genre delivers what it ought. I liked your summary of the pros and cons of this book, and despite the errors, I think I would enjoy it. Many thanks for your valuable opinion.
Thank you so much for your kind comments, and I was SO into it once it really got going!
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

T_stone wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 07:00 This book sounds very engrossing and interesting. This came to my mind while reading your review as well.
I always feel like somebody's watching me! - Rockwell featuring Michael Jackson.
I'm definitely reading this one, knowing fully-well I'm going to enjoy it like you did.
Thanks for the review.
Ha ha ha ha ha; how I loved me some Michael Jackson! So sad he's gone, *sigh*.
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

Sushan wrote: 28 Dec 2018, 06:52 Seemingly an interesting suspense fiction. Nice and a detailed review. Thank you 👍👍
Thanks so much!
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 08:33 This almost sounds like an M. Night Shamalyan story. It sounds like things aren't quite what they seem. Very interesting. Thanks so much for a great review. I'm not a huge suspense fan, but this one does sound intriguing. I'll have to think about it more.
Ohmygosh! When I read the synopsis, I totally thought of his movie, The Village. But, it turned out to be something totally different!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”