Official Review: Earth, Wind and Fairies by Sally MacIntyre

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Official Review: Earth, Wind and Fairies by Sally MacIntyre

Post by Kendra M Parker »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Earth, Wind and Fairies" by Sally MacIntyre.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Carmelina Citrinia Foxglove, known as Cecee, is the eldest daughter of the king of the fairies in Earth, Wind and Fairies by Sally MacIntyre. Just before her seventeenth birthday, she receives a gift of the special Rowan Seed and a small vial of liquid. She learns that she must keep them safe for three months so that she can complete a special task with them on the last day of December. Unfortunately, a huge wind storm blows through their forest and sweeps Cecee away to an unknown land, starting a series of adventures for Cecee and her family.

After Cecee’s disappearance, her brother, Tross, decides to secretly join the troop of soldiers that their father sends to look for his missing daughter. Cecee’s younger sister, Tizzy, finds her own set of trouble when she flies through a rainbow, contracting a sickness known as “Yellow Fever,” and later runs away after being disciplined by her father. Readers follow all three of the king’s children on their journeys through this novel.

I really appreciate the way that the author spent plenty of time building out her world before she wrote her story. She clearly spent time deciding how the world would be structured and how the magic of the world would work. At the end of the novel, MacIntyre even includes rules and detailed descriptions of how the games work that she mentions in the novel. I found this impressive since the games barely get more than a passing mention in the novel.

My big struggle with this story was in the plot elements of the story. I felt that the novel as a whole was not cohesive. MacIntyre does have the macro-plot of attempting to get Cecee home in time to plant her seed, but there are quite a few micro-plots that felt unrelated to the macro-plot. Even the stories involving Tross and Tizzy felt only tangentially related to the central plot of the novel, yet their stories comprise almost an equal amount of the novel as Cecee’s story. Some of the smaller stories also created a sense of a false ending as they get resolved far too early in the novel.

Another area that felt weak to me was the conflict itself. While MacIntyre was not afraid to create conflicts for her characters, I felt that many of the conflicts resolved themselves far too easily. For example, there were times when Cecee would lose her pouch containing the Rowan Seed, only to regain it a couple of pages later with little or no effort on her part. There are other elements to each of the characters’ stories that have a similar feeling of being too easy for my taste.

As a whole, MacIntyre’s novel could use some editing to both the story and the technical elements. MacIntyre has a great concept and a well-developed world, but she needs a bit of editing to polish the story. Her characters have a tendency to drone on with exposition, rarely allowing a reader to come to her own conclusions. There were also quite a few technical issues with commas and word choice which could have been caught with a professional edit.

Because of her strong world building and concept, I give Sally MacIntyre’s Earth, Wind and Fairies 2 out of 4 stars. I believe her novel would appeal well to middle grade readers fascinated with fairies and unicorns. Readers that wish to avoid intense conflicts in their novels would also appreciate MacIntyre’s storytelling style. Anyone looking for a complex, epic fantasy series would do best to look elsewhere.

Earth, Wind and Fairies
View: on Bookshelves

Like Kendra M Parker's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The overall concept here sounds intriguing, but it doesn't sound like it was executed extremely well. I think I would be shaking my head at how easily Cecee regains her pouch. Thanks, but I think I'm going to skip this for now.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This seems like a light read for younger children. However, I do like a well-constructed fictional world, and this seems to have exactly it. Thanks for the lovely review, but like Kandscreeley, I will give this a pass for now.
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JordanKSmith »

It sounds like the author has the imagination part down. The rest of it can be fixed over time. :)

Delayed resolution can really improve the satisfaction of that resolution. I've had the same issue as the author in the little bit of creative writing that I have done.
If it looks bad, you've zoomed in too far.

Unconditional love is impossible until you can look at yourself without judgment.
(9 of 175 Books by 12/1/19)
Yungpeterz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Yungpeterz »

the entire senarrow sounds intruiging and captivating come to think of it I Love fairy tales and fantasy so am gonna love this Cecee story please I give the author a go ahead.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 08:25 The overall concept here sounds intriguing, but it doesn't sound like it was executed extremely well. I think I would be shaking my head at how easily Cecee regains her pouch. Thanks, but I think I'm going to skip this for now.
That’s really how I felt about this one. There were things I liked, but overall it felt just a little bit young for my personal taste.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

gen_g wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 10:36 This seems like a light read for younger children. However, I do like a well-constructed fictional world, and this seems to have exactly it. Thanks for the lovely review, but like Kandscreeley, I will give this a pass for now.
It is definitely long enough that the younger readers should probably be in middle school to appreciate it.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

JordanKSmith wrote: 28 Dec 2018, 19:14 It sounds like the author has the imagination part down. The rest of it can be fixed over time. :)

Delayed resolution can really improve the satisfaction of that resolution. I've had the same issue as the author in the little bit of creative writing that I have done.
Well said! Yes, I agree that the author has the hard part down with her well-constructed world. If she can find some ways to weave her details together a bit more, she could turn this into a fantastic book series.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:

Yungpeterz wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 20:25 the entire senarrow sounds intruiging and captivating come to think of it I Love fairy tales and fantasy so am gonna love this Cecee story please I give the author a go ahead.
If you love fairy tales, this is a great one for you. It’s original and unique.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I wonder if describing how the games work at the end of the story impacts the novel overall. Would it have been better to provide these details before or during the telling of the story instead?
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

The title of the book attracted my attention and had me thinking that this could be a book I would enjoy. While the plot doesn't sound too well executed, I still feel like I would read it just for the sake of reading it. It is a book that I would enjoy for its fantasy nature.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

This is a thorough and well written review, good job! Apparently there is some disappoinment with the execution of the story. Nonetheless, I am a bit intrigued by the story line and the world building. I just might give this a go. Obviously I am partial to fantasy/adventure and usually quite forgiving. I will KIV.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

The life of the king's children sound exciting and intriguing.How did they come together at the end? Fascinating story.
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

It could be possible that the simplicity of the conflict resolutions was an effort to make it easier for young readers to comprehend. I enjoyed your review. I can overlook a few errors if the storyline is entertaining. A believable and detailed world is a definite draw. This one goes on my bookshelves. 💕
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

This sounds like a good book to read if I'm in the mood for a lighter story, so I'll definitely keep it in mind. Great, thorough review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”