Official Review: Prishum's Revenge by Paul Duncan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Prishum's Revenge by Paul Duncan

Post by Cristina Chifane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Prishum's Revenge" by Paul Duncan.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Prishum’s Revenge: The Battle for the Underground City is Paul Duncan’s first novel in a dark fantasy series. It could be read as a standalone book because the major conflicts are resolved by the end of the last chapter. However, it also throws in new characters and challenges whose role and functions will clearly be revealed in the next books of the series. Inspired by J.R.R. Tolkien’s epic fantasy books, the writer is highly ambitious in his plans, hence the preliminary map of the imaginary realms and the obvious careful planning and elaboration of every scene in the novel.

A hero as improbable as the hobbit in Tolkien’s novel by the same title, Prishum belongs to the clan of Lagomorphosis Gamma or Rabbit-Folk, as the local humans call them. When he is only 9 years old, his peaceful life at his parents’ farm near the Mangrave Forest and the human village of Galloway is dramatically disturbed by the invasion of the Legions of Marduk. During one of their raids, Prishum witnesses the violent death of his parents and swears he will have no rest until he gets his revenge on Remus and Romulus, the two blood brothers leading the legions’ raids and plundering of the Euratwin continent.

The protagonist’s adventures are not only a quest for justice, but also a journey of initiation and self-discovery. With unusual features for a Lago, Prishum has often wondered if he is not a half-breed between a rabbit and a human. He will eventually find out the truth about his ancestry and many more things about himself and his destiny. During his 15 years of exile to Nipponesia, he becomes a swordsmith’s apprentice and trains to learn the killing skills of the Ninja warriors. Married to the beautiful Lago woman Trissa, Prishum returns to his homeland to fulfill the legend of the moon rabbit.

What I liked about this novel is perhaps that most of the time I could not guess what was going to happen next. Prishum travels a lot from Euratwin to Nipponesia and then to the underground city of Necropolis Requiem or to Seminole, the city of the Lago killers. In a third-person narration focusing on the protagonist, the readers have the chance to explore new lands and to get to know new customs and traditions together with the main character. All those who love dark fantasy books will not be disappointed if they choose to read Paul Duncan’s novel. Rest assured the book includes the usual constellation of more or less familiar mythological creatures from dark elves, werewolves and vampires to human Abaddonists, a hideous creature called a draugr and Tiamat, the queen of all evil dragons. There is even the promise of a gorgon in the next book of the series. Epic battles such as the siege of the underground city by the Legions of Marduk are on the list too.

Unfortunately, I also had the feeling that sometimes too much is simply too much. Paul Duncan mixes up Arthurian legends, Greek mythology and Roman history with Celtic tales and Japanese culture in a mind-blowing amalgam which at times made me quite dizzy and confused. With such big plans in mind, I think the writer should have given more attention to details and should have remained faithful to the epic dimension of the text from the beginning to the end. When the protagonist is a rabbit there is always a thin line between the heroic and the ridiculous. For example, although Prishum is married, he gets involved with both Sheba, a tiger-woman he meets on a ship of pirates, and Lydia, a vampire of the underground city. I know that rabbits are famous for their prolific nature, but I still found everything a bit far-fetched. For those readers who are not comfortable with scenes of verbal and physical aggression or outright gore, this novel may not be exactly the best choice.

I am rating Prishum’s Revenge 2 out of 4 stars. I am taking away one star for the often exaggerated mash-up and the occasional explicit scenes of abuse or violence. I also counted around 20 editing errors, so this is the other reason I am detracting one more star from my rating. There were only some minor punctuation mistakes and some missing letters and prepositions. Even if I do not think they would spoil the pleasure of reading, they should be fixed with another round of proofreading and editing.

Prishum's Revenge
View: on Bookshelves

Like cristinaro's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Epic adventures have a tendency to be a bit too long and rambling for me. They just don't hold my attention well. For that reason, this doesn't sound like it's for me. Plus, the many different mythologies thrown in together sounds confusing. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I like the twist and turns in it. I wish it could be a little less confusing book though. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I agree that sometimes less is more. Sounds like the author went off in more directions than I would enjoy. Thanks for the great review, though.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote: 25 Dec 2018, 12:07 Epic adventures have a tendency to be a bit too long and rambling for me. They just don't hold my attention well. For that reason, this doesn't sound like it's for me. Plus, the many different mythologies thrown in together sounds confusing. Thanks, though.
Since this is only book one of a series, I'm sure many things in the story will be explained in the next books. Fans of the epic fantasy genre may find the book quite enjoyable. I love reading epic fantasy too. It's just there were things I would have liked to be different in this case.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Book Lover 35 wrote: 26 Dec 2018, 01:09 I like the twist and turns in it. I wish it could be a little less confusing book though. Thank you for the review!
I'm thinking the author has planned the entire series, so he just wanted to make us curious about what's going to happen next. Thanks for your comment.
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

Cecilia_L wrote: 26 Dec 2018, 09:45 I agree that sometimes less is more. Sounds like the author went off in more directions than I would enjoy. Thanks for the great review, though.
The series on the whole could make us see things differently. Actually, I'd be curious to read the second book of the series to see if anything changes and what will happen to the characters. Thanks for your comments.
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by JordanKSmith »

It sounds like someone didn't want to waste their Ph.D. in Mythological Studies to write a book. "See! It wasn't useless!"

I'm just kidding. I find mythology incredibly fascinating. You are right. When reading your review, I started noticing the all the names being dropped. It is kind of cool on the one hand, but I could see how it might feel like a bit too much.

You did a great job on the review. Each sentence and point flows smoothly into the next.
If it looks bad, you've zoomed in too far.

Unconditional love is impossible until you can look at yourself without judgment.
(9 of 175 Books by 12/1/19)
Cristina Chifane
Currently Reading:

JordanKSmith wrote: 28 Dec 2018, 21:41 It sounds like someone didn't want to waste their Ph.D. in Mythological Studies to write a book. "See! It wasn't useless!"

I'm just kidding. I find mythology incredibly fascinating. You are right. When reading your review, I started noticing the all the names being dropped. It is kind of cool on the one hand, but I could see how it might feel like a bit too much.

You did a great job on the review. Each sentence and point flows smoothly into the next.
:D You're so right, actually. It was that kind of book you feel drawn to, but it also drives you crazy at times. In the end, I found myself wondering about the next book in the series just to see what other thing the author might pull out of his hat.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

This sounds like quite a colorful fantasy. Unpredictability always makes for an interesting read. It seems as if the right audience would appreciate this book.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

Your review is compelling.The story appeals to me especially as pertains the protagonist's journey of initiation and self-discovery.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”