Review by Catherine Amarachi -- Chip’s World: Comp...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-amarachi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Catherine Amarachi -- Chip’s World: Comp...

Post by Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker" by Thomas Hill.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chip's World: Complex #31 and the Caretaker by Thomas Hill is a science fictional novel filled with so many interesting themes. The novel is set in a futuristic world where there is a war between the northern and southern people. In warding off the threat of the northern armies, the new nation designed and built a defender robot which has an advanced artificial intelligence. Unfortunately, their artificial intelligence glitches and it turned on their human owners who were forced to move into elaborate underground cities. The cyber wars began, then the humans began to call the defender robots, the offender robots. CYNATA was formed and secure office centres were built throughout the under cities.

The best part of this book is the character development of the protagonist, Dean Haggerty. He is a computer programmer and works for CYNATA, which is a company that manages data throughout the cities. He is also a family man, he is married to Laura and they both have a son whom Dean cherished so well. I admire the way the author portrayed Dean as a strong character who is strong enough to stand for what he believes in despite the odds and betrayal from his bosses at work. As a family head, he played his fatherly role very well, he did not allow the happenings in the society to influence him rather he fought to protect his family. He also have a forgiving heart, this is evident in the way he forgave his wife and rescued her from captivity despite knowing that she cheated on him.

The writing style adopted by the author did not really tickle my fancy. He switched repeatedly from past to present tense and used a lot of redundant statements. This made it difficult for one to flow with the storyline. He introduced a lot of irrelevant scenes which I presume was rather distractive. Example of such scene is the scene where Victoria was introduced. It must be pointed out that this book is badly edited. There are a lot of run on sentences, punctuation mistakes, grammatical errors and wrong spellings. These really make it difficult for one to enjoy the book, so one has to reread multiple sections in order to understand the message the author is trying to pass.

This novel will appeal most to adults who enjoy science fictional novels. I would not recommend this book to younger ones because of some violent scenes involving torture, rape and blood shed.

For me, I give Chip's World: Complex #31 and the Caretaker a 3 out of 4 stars rating. I can't give it the highest rate because there are too many grammar and spelling errors. I believe that this is an interesting novel and the author is good at engaging his readers.

Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Catherine Amarachi's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

What a story!

A robot turning back on its builders is one of betrayal. But that must be due to a faulty programming.

Well I will leave that for technologist to decide.

Nevertheless, thank you for the informative review.

Yours sincerely,
Mr Benji
Books are lovely.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”