"His Majesty's Dragon" by Naomi Novik

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
faun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

"His Majesty's Dragon" by Naomi Novik

Post by faun »

I found this book at my local library a few months ago. I picked it up mostly because of the cover art but ended up enjoying a lot more than I expected.
"His Majesty's Dragon", Is an alternate history where dragons not only exist but are bred for war and other uses. The [alternate] year is 1806.
After capturing a French frigate, The English captain, Will Laurence, and his crew discover a dragon egg meant for Napoleon. To prevent the hatchling from
going feral, The crew chooses someone to bond with it. The dragon hatches, but then bonds with Will himself. Will and Temeraire [the dragon's name] begin their journey to becoming part of the Aerial Corps. Along the way, Will learns that Temeraire isn't an ordinary dragon.

I hope that wasn't too much of a spoiler.
The actual facts in this alternate history were well researched. Special attention was paid to the 'military' style of rankings and discipline even though it is an 'Aerial Corps'. A lot of the conflict comes from the time period's culture; This, in my opinion, was well represented.

The writing style was fast paced but well done. The main characters had depth and I felt the conflict within them. Some of the other characters were a little generic though.

There was cursing and some crude talk, but no adult scenes. I wouldn't recommend letting kids younger than 16 read this book.

I think this is a great book and really recommend it.
Enjoy reading. :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”