Official Review: The Dragon's Harvest by Jason F Boggs

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
prospero360
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 144
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero360.html
Latest Review: New Jump Swing Healthy Aging and Athletic Nutiriton program by Donald Spiderman Thomas

Official Review: The Dragon's Harvest by Jason F Boggs

Post by prospero360 » 12 Dec 2018, 04:46

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Dragon's Harvest" by Jason F Boggs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Dragon's Harvest by Jason F Boggs is the second book of The Dragon Trilogy. It is a sci-fi/fantasy novel. Twenty months after the threat of Jacob Freeman, the first global President and supreme leader of the New Era, and his allies were neutralized, there was a new threat to the existence of the New Way (Humans that opposed the New Era’s tyranny) and the Great Tribe (The Aesini people). Eternal, the all-powerful deity of the Aesini people, was determined to end anyone that stood in his way to absolute power, especially power over death. He hoped to achieve this aim with the help of Major Ira Bilis, a surviving villain from the previous book, and Jessie Freeman, the son of Jacob Freeman. The tension between the Great Tribe and Humans was at an all-time high. How would the Great Tribe react to their god being a false god? Could the Great Tribe and the New Way come together to resist and defeat Eternal's forces?

Picking up this book, I had a few concerns about following up with the story, as I haven't read the first book in the series. The author quickly eased my concerns by giving a list of the major characters and a summary of the roles they played in the previous book, which helped me to follow the story seamlessly. I was also keen to see how different and fresh the story would be, compared to recent sci-fi novels I've read. The author's inclusion of the Aesini tribe and their traditions, the mysterious sungate portals, and organic advancements ensured that I wasn't disappointed on that front.

Jason kicks off the story by introducing the reader to one of my favourite characters, Ira Bilis, in a powerful scene where she frees Jessie Freeman from captivity, which signaled the return of the New Era. The author does very well to create strong characters with different personalities, motivations, fears, and flaws. This helped me fall in love with several major characters. However, at different points of the story, the author killed some of these characters, which added shock value to the story and had me scared throughout for the rest of my favorite characters.

Another feature I liked about The Dragon's Harvest was the author's fast-paced and descriptive writing, especially in action scenes. He uses minor descriptions expertly in fight scenes to help the reader understand the violence in the scenes. These actions scenes were littered throughout the last few chapters where the story climaxed. There were points where the author switched scenes just when something important was about to happen in a scene. While it rose my anticipation for the follow up to that scene, I found it annoying at times.

Overall, I really enjoyed reading The Dragon's Harvest. There wasn't much to dislike about it. However, the only problem I have with the book is its editing. The grammatical errors, especially run-on sentences and missed commas, littered throughout the book made several sentences unclear. This affected my flow while reading. I wish I could give The Dragon's Harvest the maximum rating, but editing issues have forced my hand to settle for rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to lovers of sci-fi and fantasy novels. Fans of action stories will also have a blast with this book. There's no use of strong language and violence isn't pronounced, which makes the book appropriate for a young audience as well.

The Dragon's Harvest
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like prospero360's review? Post a comment saying so!

Book Lover 35
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 52
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 » 13 Dec 2018, 00:20

The summary sounds interesting. It's good the you can read this book and not be confused if you haven't seen the first one. Great review!
:tiphat:

Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ice dragon » 13 Dec 2018, 04:15

Out of curiosity are there dragons in the trilogy? If there are, it's an easy way to sell a book to me!
Glad you enjoyed traveling to the world of The New Era, it sounds like a place I'd like to see myself.

prospero360
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 144
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prospero360.html
Latest Review: New Jump Swing Healthy Aging and Athletic Nutiriton program by Donald Spiderman Thomas

Post by prospero360 » 13 Dec 2018, 05:30

Ice dragon wrote:
13 Dec 2018, 04:15
Out of curiosity are there dragons in the trilogy? If there are, it's an easy way to sell a book to me!
Glad you enjoyed traveling to the world of The New Era, it sounds like a place I'd like to see myself.
Unfortunately, there are no dragons. The dragon refers to one of the characters.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 9
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 244
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by kandscreeley » 13 Dec 2018, 08:00

Despite the editing issues, this one sounds exciting. I'd obviously want to start with the first book in the series, but it's one I think I'd enjoy. Thanks for the introduction.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

T_stone
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 4
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone » 13 Dec 2018, 12:38

This book sounds very interesting. You've done well with the introduction to this book. Kudos.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

Sushan
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: True Love X 2
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Sushan » 14 Dec 2018, 19:13

I am a sci-fi fantasy fan and I will definitely love this one. Thanks for the detailed review 👍👍
"He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help"

Abraham Lincoln

:techie-studyingbrown: $u$han €kanayak€ :techie-studyingbrown:

Erika Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erika-thomas.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Erika Thomas » 15 Dec 2018, 21:09

Despite the grammatical errors, I am excited to pick up this book! I am not one that can read a book from the middle of a series, so I will certainly need to pick up the first in the series first, but I am still excited. This sounds like a very different sort of fantasy book, and I am very excited to immerse myself in the world Boggs has built. Thanks for braving a second in a series to read and review for us!

Taytay15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taytay15.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Taytay15 » 21 Dec 2018, 02:50

I think this would be an interesting book. I usually like to read series books in order but it is nice know that the author explains a little bit about the characters.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”