Official Review: The Shadowverse by John-Clement Gallo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: The Shadowverse by John-Clement Gallo

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Shadowverse" by John-Clement Gallo.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Shadowverse by John-Clement Gallo is a captivating science-fiction story that incorporates elements of real life and fantasy.

In a surprising encounter, four male college friends acquire superpowers from a stranger. They later realize that Rose, who is an addition to the group, is an alien who is been sought after. A second lady, Jane, joins the party after they realize she also has unusual powers. The group is tricked by an evil force and they find themselves outside of the world they are used to and on a new planet and universe that is far ahead of the earth. Titan, the evil force, captures Rose and is focused on bringing justice and ending free will in all the planets that he controls. The five friends have to seek help in order to stand a chance of defeating the villain, bring back Rose and stop Titan from invading earth.

I liked that the author incorporates both real and imaginative features to add realism to the book. The story starts like any ordinary one. Four friends are attending college together. They enjoy each other’s company sometimes making fun of each other. They all have issues they are dealing with but the friendship creates a place to forget their past. One day they bump into a stranger and they start manifesting incredible abilities. This ordinary start made the book more enjoyable for me as it contains elements of surprise unlike if the beginning had gone straight to the fantasy bit of the book.

I also liked the characters. The five friends and the supporting characters fit into their roles superbly. They are relatable and their reactions to the new world are phenomenal. The villain is intimidating and even though the friends have acquired superpowers, their unity and strength will be tested many times. The supporting characters are captivating and they support the main themes of the plot satisfactorily.

The dialogues exchanged between the characters gave me an opportunity to understand the story and the scenes better. The features of the other planets are well-detailed. I also liked the inclusion of time-travel which added a captivating flavor to the story. I would have appreciated much more action. I felt that some points of the plot were slow.

Still, I think The Shadowverse has amazing features that have the ability to captivate and it is also edited well. Readers who are fans of science-fiction stories with some elements of time-travel will find the book fascinating. Readers who prefer fast-paced stories and are not lovers of science-fiction books may not enjoy this book. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

The Shadowverse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like a great science fiction book with YA appeal too. Great review.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

Very thorough review. I like the touch of realism in the book.However, I prefer fast paced books so this may not be ideal for me. Thank you for your review though!
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This is a very detailed summary. I like good SciFi books. It has an interesting plot and relatable dialogues. I'm definitely going to enjoy this one. Thanks
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

A group of friends who get superpowers sounds fun. It's odd that the plot is slow at times. Still, with the 4 rating it must be pretty good. I'll look into it more. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
wittycurve
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by wittycurve »

"The group is tricked by an evil force and they find themselves outside of the world they are used to and on a new planet and universe that is far ahead of the earth". This is an interesting piece by John Clement Gallo
Erika Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erika-thomas.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Erika Thomas »

This sounds like a great read! I love books that start out normal and move towards either a science fiction or fantasy end. A slow plot is sometimes not the worst thing in the world, but it's a bummer that you disliked that. I'm excited to pick this book up! Thanks for the review!
Taytay15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taytay15.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Taytay15 »

This review is amazing and definitely peeks my interest. Science-fiction is my favorite genre.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I also love the fact that the characters started out having a normal life before acquiring their superpowers. I think this helps ease the reader into the fantasy part of the book, while still being able to relate to the characters. Thanks for the review!
:character-ariel:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”