Official Review: The Third Thaw by Karl J. Hanson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Third Thaw by Karl J. Hanson

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Third Thaw" by Karl J. Hanson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Earth is in danger of extinction. Humankind must survive. So, the most brilliant minds from Earth come up with a plan to save, at least a small part of, humanity. It is now up to the residents of New Eden to colonize their new world and save humanity from extinction. It will not be easy; they will face many obstacles along the way. They must find a way to overcome dangerous terrain, horrifying creatures and even a megalomaniac. Will humankind continue into the future? Will the residents of New Eden find a way not just to survive but to thrive?

The Third Thaw by Karl J Hanson is a science fiction novel of about 300 pages. Though the setting is classic for a science fiction novel, it more closely resembles an adventure, especially with the encounters with deadly creatures and an unexplored environment. While there is some graphic violence, much of the novel is clean, making this story suitable for teenagers as well as adults.

The most fascinating aspect of this novel was seeing how a completely new civilization was built. The new "settlers" were not able to bring every piece of technology from Earth. Their new setting is limited, not only in means but in population. It's humankind almost starting over again. I enjoyed following along while they rebuilt and tried to attain some measure of the technology that was left behind.

Having said that, the biggest issue I had with the book was the sheer amount of knowledge the author tries to include. First is the overwhelming number of characters. I guess it's somewhat understandable as this is a completely new world. Still, none of the characters were really the central focus, so it was hard for me to keep track of them all. Also, this book is classified as hard science fiction on Amazon, which simply means that the book tries to be as scientifically accurate as possible. However, it seems that the author, in trying to be scientifically precise, also decides to inundate the reader with as much knowledge as possible. The sheer volume of information is overwhelming at times, to the detriment of the plot, which creates an imbalance between story and science.

For example, in traversing the planet, the settlers from New Eden run into various animals. We are treated to the name of their closest relative on Earth, as well as what period in history they are from. In addition, we are given a biology lesson on why exactly their body is shaped thus. Furthermore, many times the knowledgeable characters will tell us what they evolved into. Unfortunately, there are many, many examples of the presence of too much information. It overtakes the story. Some of my favorite books have not only been fun but have imparted wisdom and knowledge to me as well. I'm all for that; but, in this instance, there is so much knowledge as to take all the fun out of reading the story.

Regrettably, Mr. Hanson does not convey as much information about his characters as he does the scientific knowledge. And, there are plenty of characters with which to interact. At one point, the author simply provides a list of which character married who. It just took the fun out of the story. I wanted the author to spend more time helping us to understand the characters rather than just imparting his impressive mastery of science.

In addition, the novel was not professionally edited. There were many misplaced commas as well as missing words and misspelled words. On a similar note, towards the end, the author brings in the German language. Every time he does so, the phrase was written first in German and then translated into English. This felt very clunky and interrupted the flow of the story.

I rate Third Thaw 2 out of 4 stars due to the lack of editing as well as the imbalance between story and science. Parts of the story are completely entertaining with the characters fighting for their lives. Other parts, though, are simply overwhelmed with information, so much so that the story is momentarily lost, creating a great disconnect. I recommend this mainly to those that want to learn more about various eras in the Earth's history and how early inventions came about. However, this book is heavy on evolution, so I wouldn't recommend it to those that believe in intelligent design.

The Third Thaw
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

It sounded like a good book. I liked the summary. It stinks that the book couldn't be better. Great review!
:tiphat:
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I like science fiction books but this one has so many negatives. When there are too many characters in a book, most times, the author loses focus in building each character in accordance with the story. I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the honest review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I do enjoy a good science fiction book, but it's such a pity that there is so much info-dumping in this! It would be great if some of his info-dumping could be about the characters themselves, lol! Thanks for the honest review always!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 00:34 It sounded like a good book. I liked the summary. It stinks that the book couldn't be better. Great review!
Parts of it were good. It just had a bit too much information. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

T_stone wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 04:50 I like science fiction books but this one has so many negatives. When there are too many characters in a book, most times, the author loses focus in building each character in accordance with the story. I think I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the honest review.
Yes! That did happen here. The characters could have been more distinct. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

gen_g wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 08:03 I do enjoy a good science fiction book, but it's such a pity that there is so much info-dumping in this! It would be great if some of his info-dumping could be about the characters themselves, lol! Thanks for the honest review always!
Yes, that would have been a plus. I wanted to get to know the characters a bit more. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

The book which I would never try. I just hate so much info-dumping. Thanks for the great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Nusrat_Shabnam_ wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 10:35 The book which I would never try. I just hate so much info-dumping. Thanks for the great review!
I understand. It was difficult to get through, but it had good moments.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Having said that, the biggest issue I had with the book was the sheer amount of knowledge the author tries to include. First is the overwhelming number of characters. I guess it's somewhat understandable as this is a completely new world. Still, none of the characters were really the central focus, so it was hard for me to keep track of them all. Also, this book is classified as hard science fiction on Amazon, which simply means that the book tries to be as scientifically accurate as possible. However, it seems that the author, in trying to be scientifically precise, also decides to inundate the reader with as much knowledge as possible. The sheer volume of information is overwhelming at times, to the detriment of the plot, which creates an imbalance between story and science.
I would have the same issues with the book that you mentioned. Sometimes less is more and sounds like this author overshared. Thanks for your interesting review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 14:19
I would have the same issues with the book that you mentioned. Sometimes less is more and sounds like this author overshared. Thanks for your interesting review.
I've read other books where I learn something and am entertained. I love those! This was just a bit much. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

The idea of the characters rebuilding and trying to attain some measure of the technology that was left behind sounds fascinating to me. Reminds me of one of those video games I used to play as a kid.

I just might pick this up for nostalgia sakes.

Great review as always!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Samy Lax wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 00:15 The idea of the characters rebuilding and trying to attain some measure of the technology that was left behind sounds fascinating to me. Reminds me of one of those video games I used to play as a kid.

I just might pick this up for nostalgia sakes.

Great review as always!
Yes! That was the part I most enjoyed! I just wish the author had toned down the information overload. Thanks for the comment.
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Wow - I actually debated reviewing this one. I went to click on it a few hours later and it was gone. I think I'm glad I missed it. Great review as always!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

teacherjh wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 14:49 Wow - I actually debated reviewing this one. I went to click on it a few hours later and it was gone. I think I'm glad I missed it. Great review as always!
It wasn't horrible. It just needed a bit of work. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”