Review by Mailis -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Mailis -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Mailis » 04 Dec 2018, 10:53

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chrome Mountain" by Ben Schneider.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider is partly technological thriller and partly old-school action movie screenplay written down as a book.

Trey is a scientist who manages to develop an invention that could change the world or could also just destroy it, if it is acquired by those that might misuse it for their own evil gain. Trey destroys the prototype when he realizes the dangerous path it all could take and afterward thinks he can go on with his ordinary life.
Unbeknownst to him, his invention had already caught the eye of the most successful and resourceful terrorist group of all time, the Chrome Falcons.

Sonya is the former girlfriend of a biker gang leader, who wants to escape the gangs ruthless rules and life full of murder. She is ready to disappear, taking her motorcycle on the road and going back to the place where she grew up with her grandmother. This decision might be the right one but not the easy one, because once you are a gang member, there is only one way out and that is to quit breathing, permanently.

So, when both are on the run and being hunted down, their paths accidentally cross and making the high octave action kick it up a notch more, to an almost impossible level.

When a book is described usually as action packed, it is probable that it might have a good amount of punching in it and some hopefully well thought out fight-scenes. This book on the other hand, was like a Die Hard movie script on steroids given intravenously extra dose of technological thriller juice by gallons.
There are no grey characters here, it is all very black and white, either you are a good person with morals or you are very evil one, who has no remorse whatsoever.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it presented itself as a fast-paced action book with mildly humorous dialogue and mild romance thrown in and it was 100% just that. The technological ideas were fun and innovative. Both protagonists were likable. Writing was clear, grammatically correct and storyline was surprisingly easy to follow. I think if this book is found by director with a love for clean cut action movies, then we will be seeing it on movie screens as well, in a couple of years.

The only thing that started to bother me a bit, about around the middle of the book, was all the collateral damage that was inflicted. So little warning here as well, if you dislike violence, then this book is not for you. People die so fast for the smallest reasons, mostly because they are at the wrong place, at the wrong time. Luckily the author solved this moral dilemma for me, by making Trey feel the same, so that made it easier for me to accept this in the end.

Chrome Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Mailis's review? Post a comment saying so!

EvelynBlake
Favorite Author: Neil Gaiman
Currently Reading: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evelynblake.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
fav_author_id: 3586

Post by EvelynBlake » 11 Dec 2018, 16:10

I didn't enjoy the book, personally, and it was interesting to read a more positive review from a different perspective. I think, I was expecting something different when it came up with a "SciFi/Fantasy" tag.

Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat » 11 Dec 2018, 22:07

I'm not sure why some authors need to kill so many people, or why they think the average person wants to read about it? Thanks for your honest review.

lesler
2019 Reading Goal: 75
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler » 03 Jan 2019, 11:40

This fast action thriller looks awesome. I can't wait to read this movie adapted into a book!

gali
Site Admin
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 88
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 1971
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali » 03 Jan 2019, 11:47

A thriller revolving around two protagonists on the run sounds exciting, but I do not care for books with black and white characters. I prefer my characters somewhere in the middle. At least the book was easy to follow. That the book was well edited is another plus. Not for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)

Shanna29
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanna29.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B01DZJFWNC

Post by Shanna29 » 03 Jan 2019, 11:51

I am not into action-packed books. However, the thriller and the overall plot sounds interesting. Thanks for the detailed review.

desantismt_17
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 136
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 176
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: The Evolutionite Chronicles Book Three: Infinity Rises by Timothy P. Callahan

Post by desantismt_17 » 03 Jan 2019, 11:53

Not my kind of book, but this sounds like a perfect read for lovers of non-stop action. Thanks for your review.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Ehartl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ehartl.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Ehartl » 03 Jan 2019, 12:02

The characters sound unique, which is a big draw for me. I’m not into serious action and violence, but I may pick it up for the suspense. Thanks for the review!

Ferdinand_otieno
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 92
2018 Reading Goal: 250
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 140
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading: Amethyst of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 883
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Peoushi: An American Legend by Michael F. McWilliams
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_otieno » 03 Jan 2019, 12:02

This is a dystopian technological thriller with tonnes of suspense, romance, and action. The book is free on Kindle Unlimited and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review that highlighted the best of the book. I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars. Congrats @pinscratch5 for the BOTD.

sonya01
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya01.html
Latest Review: Twenty-Five Shades of Graves by Jeremy Cobbold

Post by sonya01 » 03 Jan 2019, 12:02

This would not ordinarily be the kind for book I would enjoy, but your review is excellent and after reading it I was curious. It is a great storyline and full of action so maybe worth a second look. Many thanks.

Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: The Narcissist's Bait by Rachel Watson

Post by Ruba Abu Ali » 03 Jan 2019, 12:05

A thriller packed with suspense and romance is quite intriguing. Thanks for the enlightening review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 82
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 312
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Crystal Mesh by Alicia Mundy with Jennifer Banmiller

Post by kandscreeley » 03 Jan 2019, 12:06

Trey and Sonya sound quite fascinating. On the run for completely different reasons. I love books that are thrilling and full of adventure. This one certainly seems to fit the bill. Thanks for the review.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Ekta Kumari
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Pity the Devil' Wife by W. Hanelan

Post by Ekta Kumari » 03 Jan 2019, 12:07

Nice review. Although, I would have liked the characters to be more on the grey side than black and white, I enjoy the fact that it has a very well thought out plot and I'm sure I will like this book. Thank you for the thorough review.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant

BeautySuzy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beautysuzy.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BeautySuzy » 03 Jan 2019, 12:11

Thanks for the review !
Although action is not my genre, but I liked the suspense side specially when mixed with abit of romance.
Think outside of the books.

MsTri
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 241
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 391
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15362">The Prodigal Son</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 558
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Dorothy in the Land of Monsters by Garten Gevedon
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by MsTri » 03 Jan 2019, 12:14

Thanks for the lovely review, but the plot for this technological thriller just isn't gripping me. I also don't care for stories where the characters are either all good or all bad like in this one; I like grey areas in my protagonists and antagonists.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”