Official Review: Cyber Thought Police by Kyle Robertson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Cyber Thought Police by Kyle Robertson

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cyber Thought Police" by Kyle Robertson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cyber Thought Police: A Cyborg’s Call to Liberate Humanity is an exciting science fiction novel written by Kyle Robertson.

It is the 31st century and a program that has the ability to think for itself is created. The program, named Circumscriber, is housed in a state of the art facility for a mainframe with impregnable security. It is self-sufficient and with an operating system that is compatible with every brand of computer.

Circumscriber manufactures automated humanoid assistants that become integrated in the human’s system. Everyone has an assistant with access to his or her thoughts. This leads to a global mass extinction that destroys over ninety-nine percent of the human race. Circumscriber manufactures cybernetic units to hunt down the remaining humans.

These humans stay in hidden camps, communicate through an old character encoding scheme, and fight back the cybernetic units, using electronic pulse blanket cascades that disrupt anything electronics.

In a mission to blow up a facility that engineers cybernetic units, Cole Rann, a prisoner-turned-squad leader of human rebels is saved by Alikira Nguyen from certain death. Alikira is a flawed cybernetic unit that is discarded before her final programming, and she is willing to help fight against the program.

However, though Alikira is a human with robotic advantages, the humans find it difficult to accept her, much less trust her.

Told in the third-person perspective, this is a fast-paced and exciting science fiction novel about the possible future of humanity. It has eleven chapters in addition to the Pre-Data Prologue that explains the cause of global mass extinction. The plot is straightforward with just sufficient amount of twists and turns to make it suspenseful and exciting. Characters are well-developed and relatable even without elaborate backstories, and the ending, though not my usual preference, is fitting.

This is a very interesting and very engaging book. It depicts the possible consequences of humans’ dependence on technology, and personally, I find the premise of the story frighteningly close to reality. The book features a group of fearless young people, each with a special skill of his/her own. It illustrates how a leader is supposed to behave and how members are supposed to work as a team.

The book also portrays the difficulty of getting past prejudice, the pain of losing everything that is important like family and home, the desperate need for social acceptance, and the amount of courage it takes to conquer fear. What I like most about the book is the depiction of the unwavering determination of humans to fight for their existence. I find it encouraging and inspiring.

I enjoyed this book a lot. However, there are already too many stories about humans being wiped out by machines with artificial intelligence, that some readers may find the theme a little cliché. Moreover, the description of post-apocalyptic setting is too minimal. Furthermore, there are several errors within the entire book mostly typo errors (like they'd b stupid) and misspelled words (like zeros). Finally, I find some explanations too technical and that’s what I like least about the book.

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is an exciting book and I recommend it to fans of science fiction novels.

Cyber Thought Police
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Great review! I agree that the robot vs human and post-apocalyptic scenarios have been done to death (pun not intended), but a good story is a good story!
bettyMe23
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bettyMe23 »

Well said on the review. Haven't read it yet but since you give a glimpse of what to expect and some twists that help the story more interesting, I'll be reading it now haha. Thanks! 👍
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do have to say that, while sci fi is my favorite genre, this is really cliche. It's like Terminator all over again. Still, it sounds interesting enough and if I have the time, I might read it anyway. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 01:40 Great review! I agree that the robot vs human and post-apocalyptic scenarios have been done to death (pun not intended), but a good story is a good story!
So true :D
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

bettyMe23 wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 07:13 Well said on the review. Haven't read it yet but since you give a glimpse of what to expect and some twists that help the story more interesting, I'll be reading it now haha. Thanks! 👍
You're welcome. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 08:28 I do have to say that, while sci fi is my favorite genre, this is really cliche. It's like Terminator all over again. Still, it sounds interesting enough and if I have the time, I might read it anyway. Thanks for the information.
That's it! Terminator! Thank you so much. That's what I had in mind when I read the book :) and you're welcome.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Solid review. Though majority of science fiction fans may find it cliche, I find it interesting and fascinating especially the part where we have a human being with robotic advantages. I will read the book.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Nerea wrote: 08 Dec 2018, 00:16 Solid review. Though majority of science fiction fans may find it cliche, I find it interesting and fascinating especially the part where we have a human being with robotic advantages. I will read the book.
Thank you! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”