Official Review: Fossil Detectives and the Mysterious Skull

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Official Review: Fossil Detectives and the Mysterious Skull

Post by Mercelle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fossil Detectives and the Mysterious Skull" by Caren Bonds Hanson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fossil Detectives and the Mysterious Skull by Caren Bonds Hanson is a sci-fi/fantasy book that narrates the story of two siblings who experience an unexpected adventure.

Dante and Lexy, aged twelve and ten respectively, are volunteers at a local science center. They learn how to preserve and take care of fossils while accumulating knowledge about animal species. When a shipment from Ethiopia arrives, the children do their job diligently, unaware that there's an ancient soul trapped inside one of the skulls. In its quest to get home, the spirit sends the youngsters on a journey through time, landing them in various prehistoric periods.

Adventure is the most prominent theme in the story. Dante and Lexy's experience will give readers an adrenaline rush and leave them fearing for the youngsters' safety. I like how the siblings worked together to navigate the hostile conditions that met them at their destinations. Their ingenuity is nothing short of spectacular, and a silver lining arose from the ordeal. The children maximized the opportunity and used it to put their knowledge to practice. They brushed shoulders with different species and classified them by analyzing their features. From their debates, it's evident that one sibling paid more attention in class.

What I liked most about the book is that the author included educative elements, infusing the content in a fun and exciting manner. Readers will learn a few things about evolution, Geography, and history. Those who are past the schooling age will have an opportunity to refresh their memory. There are also multiple choice questions at the end of the book, which readers can use to test their retention. Sprinkled throughout the text are photographs and illustrations that complement the work. I found these useful because they depict various creatures, and the author also included charts on human evolution. I applaud Marissa Morris, the illustrator, for the detailed images.

The author did a stellar job at character development, presenting the lead protagonists as actual children. They were curious, imaginative, mischievous and everything in between. From the many dialogues, they respected the adults but also spoke in a manner typical of children their age. The author also uses simple language, and I appreciate this because the many evolutionary terms are sophisticated enough.

Although I noticed a few errors, mostly misspelled words, they didn't detract from the reading experience. Eliminating the typos is the only modification I would make to the book. I will award this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars for it is an exciting read that deserves nothing less. I'll recommend it to young adults, lovers of fantasy stories, and fans of coming-of-age literature.

Fossil Detectives and the Mysterious Skull
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mercy Bolo's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
MalMartin
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malmartin.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by MalMartin »

Thank you for the review. I am glad to know there isn't a lot of typos. I love reading books from the perspective of children and hearing what they would do. It's usually different from what I would do.
Ricky 7
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ricky-7.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Ricky 7 »

An adventure work, is really one my very liked themes. The move of being and working together even in hostile conditions no matter what, is what forces me to have this book in my must read library. No lots of mistakes brings it even more closer. This is a must... Thanks for the good review.
TJanowski23
Currently Reading: Winning the battle against sin
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjanowski23.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by TJanowski23 »

Thanks for the review. I was hoping that it would be appropriate for my 5th grader but from your review I see it's more for young adults. Maybe in a few years. Thanks.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I love that the protagonists are actual children and I love the added details of learning skills and time travel being used to progress the story/ enhance the adventure. It feels a little Night at the Museum, I enjoy that bit of whimsy. Its good that its not all fun and games that there is some danger to ground the story and show the gravity/ reality of such a situation.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a nice young adult adventure. I'm curious about the soul that's trapped. Where is it from? How did it get there? Guess I'll have to read to find out. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Seeing the title, I felt it won't be suitable for children. But, as I read your review further, I discovered that it's very suitable for children. It's a good book with an interesting plot and good characterization. Thanks for the detailed summary.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

This sounds like a great book. I like that it is full of action and is also educational. Great review!
:tiphat:
Tamara24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tamara24 »

The review seems good, it's really adventure plus thrill should be discription
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

This book seems to take "putting learning into practice" into a whole new level. It's great how the characters were able to maximise whatever they've got to make a difference. Thank you for your interesting review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
lari03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lari03.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by lari03 »

Interesting review. Children are least likely to be fossil detectives in real life, so this book is a refreshing change from the norm. Adversity is an important teacher in the school of life because it pushes us to try new things, and to become better than we would be if otherwise left alone.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A sci-fi/fantasy tale revolving around the adventures of two kids in prehistoric times sounds exciting. The addition of educative elements, photographs, and illustrations enriches the tale. Good character development, simple language, and intriguing plot make it a good read for kids. That the book is well edited is another plus. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I was hooked with the action and the great detail. I am adding this to my shelves.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

This sounds like a well-written action and adventure book. Thank you for the informative review.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I LOVE time travel books, especially when there are dinosaurs - not to mention hominids - involved. I also like that it seeks to educate. I look forward to reading this!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”