Official Review: Stylars quest for freedom part 2

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Official Review: Stylars quest for freedom part 2

Post by melissy370 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stylars quest for freedom part 2" by Craig archibald.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The planet is dying. Those in power are looking to build ships to find another world to inhabit. Technologically advanced and cruel, this elite race rules with an iron fist and intends to leave everyone else to die. Underground lives a community who spends their time mining for ore for their aboveground masters. They are regarded as inferior and are given just enough scraps and water to survive. For many years they have endured oppression, but with a prophesy foretelling a savior, they find hope. Some identify Stylar, a genetically engineered male with qualities more like an animal, as the one foretold. Stylar and another race called the Brethren, join with the community in winning their freedom and getting off the planet. Can emancipation be won? And if so, at what cost?

Stylar’s Quest For Freedom Part 2 by Craig Archibald, lives up to the adage of “you can’t judge a book by its cover”. I initially hesitated in taking on this endeavor. The cover lacked curb appeal, and after glancing at the first page, my trepidation increased even more when I saw how many grammatical errors it had. I quickly realized though that this book is like a gold nugget that just needs the dirt washed off. The pace was perfect, and there are so many interesting dynamics in it that hold your attention till the end. When cleaned up, I think many science fiction lovers will be drawn to it.

There are a few characters that really shine in the story. Stylar reminded me of Wolverine in the X-Men series in some ways. He was forced to undergo experiments by a maniacal race to increase his efficiency in serving them. He is enigmatic with his extraordinary strength, smell, sight, and telepathic abilities. In the beginning I wasn’t particularly crazy about him, as he appeared reckless and overconfident when going into battles. However, as the story progressed, I saw him mature through his experiences, and I could see why others would want to follow him. Barla, one of the Brethren, made me laugh throughout the narrative. His surly personality was offset by his trying to work on his sense of humor.

My most favorite part was how Archibald infused in his story the themes of persecution and equality. How the mentality of thinking one race is better than another affects everyone, including those who call themselves superior, was the most striking. The depth of emotions was realistically portrayed, and I could feel them through his characters. Dianer, a member of the underground community, wonders what will happen to them if they gain freedom. There was an odd comfort in knowing what their designated purpose was in their enslavement and having all their basic needs met. Could the community handle the uncertainty of being out on their own?

The biggest negative for this book is that it needs extensive editing. There were run-on sentences without any punctuation marks. Chapters and distinct transitions into the next scenes were nonexistent. Sometimes it was hard to discern who was speaking. Along with all of that, there was a myriad of misspellings and misusage of words like “heel” instead of “heal”. Also, some characters were given a generic name like "the commander", even though they played a significant part throughout the story; the planet‘s name was never mentioned, and I never figured out what the elite race called themselves. I would have preferred more clarity on those issues. A smaller negative for me also was the causal way sex was used in the narrative.

I wish I could give this book a higher score, but with all the errors in it, I must give it a 2 out of 4 stars. I did not give a lower score because, despite it having major flaws, I still enjoyed it. This is the second book in the trilogy, and it is best to read the first one to understand fully what is going on. I missed parts of the storyline because I have not read the previous book. There are scenes with violence and a few with sexual content, so this book would be best for mature audiences. Anyone who loves action-packed science fiction would enjoy this work.

Stylars quest for freedom part 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like melissy370's review? Post a comment saying so!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I'm a great lover of science fiction books. I usually won't let errors deter me from reading a nice sci-fi book with a good plot but, this can't standalone. Hence, I'll pass on this one. Thanks for the honest review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

You're right about the cover. It needs something more catchy. I would definitely pass right by this one. It's too bad, too, because it seems like something I would really enjoy. I might have to wait for some further editing, though. Thanks for the information. I hope the author touches this one up a bit.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Booklover80
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Booklover80 »

I usually love science fiction books and this one also seems like a great story. It’s nice to be pleasantly surprised by a book. It’s great how it has amazing characters. It’s too bad about the editing. Hopefully that’s taken care of soon.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I wonder how this piece compares to the first in its series. Well, if this one's an obscured "gold nugget" as you've described it to be, I do hope it gets the polishing you said it needs towards perfection for its genre's fans. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The book sounds intriguing with action-packed plot. Well-developed characters are the added benefits. Thanks for this nice review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

The plot and story sound amazing! It's a pity that it has lots of errors. I wish it could have been drafted multiple times before publishing. Thanks for this honest review! :tiphat
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”