Official Review: The Michael Project by Louis T. Bruno

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Official Review: The Michael Project by Louis T. Bruno

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Michael Project" by Louis T. Bruno.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Michael's Project by Louis T. Bruno is a Sci-Fi book separated into 5 books (parts). Our protagonist is Michael, a man that has little to no memories, who is entrapped in government's facilities, and he is trained to become an assassin. Michael hears "Mother" inside his head, a voice that no one else can hear, who tells him what to do and how to react. One day, another voice appears that wakes up Michael from his numb slumber, and makes him realize he needs to escape and find who he really is. To help him with his escape, he kidnaps a woman who works there named Rachel. He agrees to let her go if she helps him "go to the surface" to which she complies. Who is Michael in reality? What is he capable of? What do some Muslims, Beelzebub, and a small Church have to do with this story? Will Michael be able to find his true identity, tame his powers, and find his purpose in this world?

I have to admit I was impressed by the plot, and I was dying to read this book, once I laid eyes on it. I had great expectations but I was soon let down. Even though this book has an amazing plot, it's not well written. It starts beautifully but from the second chapter, the downfall begins. While I was reading this book I had a constant feeling that the writer never read it after finishing it. The reason I'm saying that is because many characters throughout the book change names. Rachel, our female protagonist, for example, is sometimes called "Michelle" and others "Denise". I've noticed that this happens with many characters in the book, which makes me assume that the writer didn't proofread his work and neither did his editors.

Moreover, there were many punctual and grammatical errors. Many times question marks are replaced with exclamation marks and vice versa. Not to mention that Chapter 6 and Chapter 7 are the exact same chapter. There were so many errors that sometimes it was hard for me to understand what the author was trying to say.

Perhaps due to the fact that English is not my mother language, I got a really hard time understanding the plot and the way the scenes were gliding one after the other. Sometimes, I felt there were scenes that weren't mentioned, and I've noticed many plot holes throughout the book that could be avoided if the author proofread it. Furthermore, there were numerous similes that made the reading of this book really hard and tiring.

The character development though proves that the writer is talented. He managed to create several characters, and all of them were unique and different. My favourite characters were Beelzebub and Robert because, in my opinion, they were more realistic and interesting. It was amazing how even the tiniest character had a backstory and reasons behind his/her actions.

To sum up, I wish I could give this book 4 stars because that was my intention when I chose it. However, the poor editing of this book and the sloppy performance of the author prevent me from doing it. I'm giving it 2 out of 4 stars because I think that the plot deserves a second chance. With a better editing, this book has many potential and I suggest you give it a try if you're into sci-fi, adventure, and action. Keep in mind though that there were many explicit scenes of rape and violence in the book, so I wouldn't recommend it for people under 18 or with a weak stomach. Moreover, there are some scenes that may be considered offensive to religious people so, if you are religious but you want to give this book a try, you should read this with an open mind.

The Michael Project
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sen_Suzumiya's review? Post a comment saying so!
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one does sound intriguing. What is actually going on with Michael? Not even mentioning the grammatical issues, the characters switching names would get on my nerves. I think, therefore, that I'll wait for further editing before attempting this one. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Rafaella Michailidou

kandscreeley wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 08:57 This one does sound intriguing. What is actually going on with Michael? Not even mentioning the grammatical issues, the characters switching names would get on my nerves. I think, therefore, that I'll wait for further editing before attempting this one. Thanks.
You are right, it was really furstrating. I do hope they will re-edit it because it's a waste. Thank you for your comment.
― Lemony Snicket
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

The characters having different names at various points in the book makes it seem like the author wasn't very engaged with his own story. The names you mentioned aren't even similar. Very odd. If the author isn't committed enough to get his own characters' names right, I don't know how he can expect to attract readers.
Booklover80
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Booklover80 »

The plot of this book seems so intriguing, it’s really too bad that it wasn’t well written. The name changes for the characters are just odd. I don’t think I’ll read this one. Maybe if the book is re-edited I might give it a try.
Rafaella Michailidou

kfwilson6 wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 21:21 The characters having different names at various points in the book makes it seem like the author wasn't very engaged with his own story. The names you mentioned aren't even similar. Very odd. If the author isn't committed enough to get his own characters' names right, I don't know how he can expect to attract readers.
I was confused too at the beginning. My thoughts are that he wrote chapters separately or in different times, thus he used different names, or forgot which name he prefers. Nevertheless, he should proofread this before publishing it.
― Lemony Snicket
Rafaella Michailidou

Booklover80 wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 23:33 The plot of this book seems so intriguing, it’s really too bad that it wasn’t well written. The name changes for the characters are just odd. I don’t think I’ll read this one. Maybe if the book is re-edited I might give it a try.
Yeah, let's hope they will re-edit it.
― Lemony Snicket
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It's sad when a good story gets overrun by technical flaws. I do hope the protagonist's life becomes better and that this book gets the second look it deserves to rise up from the state you've seen it in. Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Rafaella Michailidou

Espie wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 05:47 It's sad when a good story gets overrun by technical flaws. I do hope the protagonist's life becomes better and that this book gets the second look it deserves to rise up from the state you've seen it in. Thank you for your honest review.
Thank you for your comment! I agree with you, I had my hopes up for this one and I was soon let down.
― Lemony Snicket
Tiffany_A_Baker
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tiffany_A_Baker »

That's really sad. It seemed like a nice book, but if it's written like that no one can read it. Thank you for your review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”