Official Review: The Kings' Assassin by Ed Cannon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Official Review: The Kings' Assassin by Ed Cannon

Post by Julehart1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Kings' Assassin" by Ed Cannon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Kings’ Assassin is a fantasy fiction book written by Ed Cannon. The story is about a young prince named Sillik, who is back in Illicia after years away. His father, the king of Illicia, has sent him an urgent telepathic message to return back home immediately. When Sillik arrives at the castle, he finds that his father and eldest brothers have all been mysteriously assassinated. As treachery and betrayal surround him at every corner, Sillik has to figure out who he can trust. To avenge his father, he needs to find the killers and bring them to justice. He also has to save the world from the dark powers that are growing stronger every day.

Being a Master of the Seven Laws of Magic, Sillik can do many otherworldly things. He is able to figure out that dark magic was used to assassinate his family. The Seven Gods of Law and the Nine Gods of Darkness are locked in a battle of good versus evil. To save Illicia, Sillik must go on a dangerous journey to catch the killers and stop the dark powers. There’s a lot at stake. If Sillik is unsuccessful, darkness and evil win. Can Sillik escape the deadly traps set by the killers? Can he figure out the clues that were left by his father? Can he stop all the political unrest in Illicia and prevent a terrible war? Find out in the epic first book of this saga.

What I enjoyed most about this book is the way Cannon skillfully built and established a world in which these mythical characters are based. I loved the contrast between the light magic of the Seven Gods of Law and the dark magic of the Nine Gods of Darkness. I was fascinated by such creatures as the imps, dragons, and schulas. I likewise enjoyed the intrigue of the court politics, the mystery, and the suspense that encompassed the plot. The book has a great combination of world-building and story. The author pays great attention to detail, and it was very easy to visualize everything that was so richly described.

I also liked that this book has a number of strong female characters. Briana is Sillik’s top advisor and appointed Warmaster. She’s a gifted swordswoman and an asset in any battle. Silvia is one of the Seven Gods of Law and a powerful presence. She’s very determined to see Sillik victorious, and her advice is invaluable. There’s also the mysterious Renee, who becomes Sillik’s love interest. As we learn more about her, we see that she’s been through a lot and has powers of her own. She also becomes a strong and important ally for Sillik. There were times where Sillik would simply not succeed without all these women helping him.

One of the issues that I had with the book is that I think it tried to do a bit too much. There was a lot going on with the plot and the characters. There were too many characters introduced, and it was hard to keep track of them all. It might have been better if a few characters and certain plot points were saved for the sequel to this book. I feel like the story could have been woven tighter. I was very interested in a lot of the story, but there were a couple of points where the book sort of dragged for me.

Another issue that I had was that we never learn the exact nature of Sillik’s powers. He seemed to be excessively powerful. Even in battles with other supernatural beings, Sillik still appeared more powerful than them. Almost every time he had opposition, he was able to defeat them with relative ease. It would have been more interesting if he faced some more adversity. I know that Sillik hasn’t confronted all his enemies yet, so his most important fights are still ahead. I’m hoping that we will finally see some close epic battles in the sequel.

I’m rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. It was an engaging read with excellent world-building and suspense. Another plus for the book is that it was very exceptionally and professionally edited. I’m taking a star away because there was too much happening and way too many characters involved. Also, I felt like we didn’t know enough about Sillik’s powers and how they worked. It seemed like he was too powerful in his battles and didn’t struggle enough. Keep in mind that a sequel to this book is expected, and the ending is a cliffhanger that leaves readers curious about what will happen next. Don't expect all of your questions answered. I would recommend this book to adults and teens who like fantasy and science fiction books. Those who enjoy stories about magic, mythical creatures, and political intrigue will most likely love this book. People who like more realistic stories will probably not enjoy this book.

The Kings' Assassin
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Julehart1's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Yes, it sounds like there's more going on than I would like in a book. That seems to be somewhat typical of this style. Still, it sounds interesting enough. I don't think I would enjoy not having my questions answered, though. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I reviewed this book too, and it seems that our opinions are for the most part aligned. I also thought that the plot was slightly rushed, but it was still an enjoyable read overall. Thanks for the review!
Booklover80
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Booklover80 »

This book sounds like a book I would enjoy reading. Sillik seems like a great character. I don’t know how I feel about a cliffhanger for an ending. I like having answers. But this still seems like a great book.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

The story line is attractive because it about a black prince who is on the road of adventure. And the power displayed is amazing!
Thanks for the review.
Books are lovely.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

Thank you for sharing your thoughtful review. I appreciated your mention that there wasn't enough adversity in the book, as true challenges are crucial for fantasy books, especially for ones based around war.
DearAshley
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DearAshley »

That was a very thorough review, and it helped a lot. I’m actually very interested in the book though I think it is because I just have to read it myself.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”