Official Review: Dawn of Hope by Dobrin Kostadinov

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sharill Rasowo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharill-rasowo.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Official Review: Dawn of Hope by Dobrin Kostadinov

Post by Sharill Rasowo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dawn of Hope" by Dobrin Kostadinov.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dawn of Hope by Dobrin Kostadinov is a futuristic novel set in the 22nd century. The original version is in Bulgarian, and this is a review of the English translation. The story starts at the point where Mankind has sucked everything that it can out of the earth. The human population is bursting at the seams, and the earth can no longer support man’s greed. Many are threatened with starvation, and civil unrest is on the rise.

The United Nations, sensing that man is facing destruction; decides the only solution is to find another habitable planet. Just in time, Professor Roman Zanev discovers a habitable planet. The United Nations decide to send explorers to this unfamiliar world. The novel follows the adventures of those who remain on earth as well as those who voyage to this new world. It consists of nine chapters with the story being told from the perspective of various characters.

I appreciated how the author started by incorporating world history into his story. This was because it was fun to try to equate the events in the book with particular historical events. I could feel the author’s dedication as he went into detail about world history. In addition, the fact that the world had become a global village intrigued me. Usually when talking about a global village, it is consistently in a favorable light. In the book however, the reality was people living squeezed together out of necessity rather than desire.

It was equally fascinating to see those in power fighting tooth and nail to be among those who leave the earth for “greener pastures.” The political games that were played kept me riveted, and not once was I bored. The struggles of those who went to the new planet were also very entertaining. The resilience of man was clearly showcased in this book, as they tried making a home in a foreign planet.

Although I enjoyed the book as a whole, I felt that the author would be better served breaking down the chapters further or even dividing the book in two. This is because I felt he had many stories to tell and one book did not do the story justice. I also felt that the paragraphs should have been broken down as sometimes it felt as if I was looking at a wall of text.

All things considered, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This is because there were quite a number of grammatical errors scattered throughout the novel. Thankfully, they did not detract from the plot. I have to say that while this novel required dedication to read, it was well worth the effort. I would recommend this book to lovers of futuristic or apocalyptic novels, as they will be in for the adventure of a lifetime.

Dawn of Hope
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cher432's review? Post a comment saying so!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I like me a good book of adventure. From your review, this book looks so good, it can be adapted into a movie; I'll watch it a hundred times. Thanks for the nice review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Thank you for having the perseverance to complete this novel and write such an entertaining review. I know from experience that books translated from another language can be heavy-going, no matter how good the storyline.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

The story starts at the point where Mankind has sucked everything that it can out of the earth.
What an... optimistic opening.

The book presents a cool and complex premise, though I wonder how the author would tackle it without generalizing. This sounds like an interesting and intellectual story, and I'm going to check this out once I have the time to. Thank you for your review.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds a bit on the long winded side with the paragraphs and chapters. Nevertheless, this book is right up my alley! I can't wait to see how the author envisions the future. Thanks for a stunning review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sounds like a riveting book. It is actually interesting that those in power are fighting to leave the planet. Usually, they are cushioned and live in luxury when the rest of humanity is perishing! Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Black_v
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Black_v »

This book sounds amazing! I believe I could not put it down and it will be a very good book to read. Very interesting, thank you for this review.
Taytay15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taytay15.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Taytay15 »

This book seems really interesting to read. It sounds like the chapters are long. That part I don't think I would enjoy because I dont like to stop reading in the middle of a chapter. This was a good review.
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

I think the idea of living on another planet is quite interesting. It certainly is not the first time that this idea has been put forward. I'm pretty sure there are habitable planets out there in the wide, wide universe. This is a book that I would read.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”