Official Review: Jericho Caine, Vampire Slayer by Dee Rose

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: Jericho Caine, Vampire Slayer by Dee Rose

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jericho Caine, Vampire Slayer" by Dee Rose.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jericho Cain, Vampire Slayer is a supernatural book revolving around vampires, an angel turned vampire, and the slayer who is out to kill all of them. Dakota is an angel who was turned into a vampire and shunned from both parties. He was resting for a long period of time, but once he woke up and started turning human into his own minions to form an army, the angels, the vampires, and Jericho Caine all took notice.

This book is very short, with only 148 pages. Literally everything about it, from Jericho's attitude to the sword he carries, his human assistant, the vampire covens, and angels all reminded me of Supernatural, the TV show. However, other supernatural beings, such as werewolves and sirens, also show up in the story. It is very fast-paced and full of action with a little bit of drama.

To start with what I liked about the book, I'll go back to what I mentioned earlier: the book is a lot like Supernatural. Because of that, I was able to imagine the characters and their powers without needing much prompt from the book. There are a few funny lines amidst all of the action, and the writing style is very simple. I feel like the reading level is low enough for anyone to be able to read it, although there are some expletives that raise the target audience age.

Unfortunately, there were a lot of things that the book could have improved upon. There were a lot, and I mean a lot, of grammatical errors. I stopped keeping track in the first 15 pages of the book. However, it was mostly the same kind of punctuation and grammatical errors over and over again, so they were easy to get used to and stopped bothering me after a while. Another thing that disappointed me was the lack of depth throughout the novel. It was so short that it was hard to connect with the characters until the very end of the book. I mentioned earlier that the book is fast-paced, but I think that in this case it works against the reader in that events occur so quickly that it's hard to keep up. I think the author, Dee Rose, could have taken a little more time to set things up in the beginning instead of waiting until explanation is necessary and giving the readers the bare minimum so as not to interrupt the story's flow. Also, the writing in some of the action scenes was stiff, which made me lose interest a little bit.

Although the story itself wasn't bad, I think the book lacked originality and had potential that was not taken advantage of. I would have given the story at least three stars if it had been fleshed out with perfect grammar, but as it is, I can only give it 1 out of 4 stars. Because of its short length and easy reading level I would have suggested it be a YA novel, but the characters curse quite a bit, so I would recommend it to readers who are 16 years old or older who enjoy supernatural books and just want something simple and quick to read. Also, Supernatural fans will definitely enjoy the banter between characters and spotting the similarities between Jericho's world and the TV show.

Jericho Caine, Vampire Slayer
View: on Bookshelves

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

This book reminded me of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I wish the characters were more relatable. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

It seems like this book packs in all the supernatural monsters. I tried to watch the first season of Supernatural, but it turns out I'm too much of a wimp. I hope the author sorts out the editing - if the book is anything like the TV series, it could go places.
I loved your review.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

The negatives you listed do seem pretty bad, but I think I like the premise - and Supernatural - enough that I'm willing to give it a try anyhow. Thanks for the thorough and honest review.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I won't mind giving this book a try since you mentioned that it's written in a simple language for easy read, and it's like Supernatural. I hope the grammatical errors won't deter my reading experience. Thanks for the honest review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do understand where this would tie in with supernatural, but I'm not sure about the Angel turned Vampire. Kind of makes me think of the TV series Angel. The shortness of it appeals to me, but the lack of originality will probably keep me from reading. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
katiesquilts
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 16:23 I do understand where this would tie in with supernatural, but I'm not sure about the Angel turned Vampire. Kind of makes me think of the TV series Angel. The shortness of it appeals to me, but the lack of originality will probably keep me from reading. Thanks.
Angel! I completely forgot about that series! I used to watch it with my mom, but that was almost a decade ago... I hardly remember anything about it. :D

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”