Official Review: Death's Kiss by Regie Khemvisay

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Death's Kiss by Regie Khemvisay

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Death's Kiss" by Regie Khemvisay.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Blackjack virus killed everyone over the age of 21, forcing the world to start over. Consequently, Yliria closed their borders as no one ever figured out where the virus originated. They, then, adopted a new form of government - the Joker system. Yuri and Ryoma are about to become part of the system - they've been forcefully enscripted. The government isn't quite what they've been taught all these years, however. They are about to learn more than they ever bargained for.

Death's Kiss by Regie Khemvisay is a dystopian fiction of around 400 pages. Themes of working together, rebellion, living life to the fullest and self-sacrificing love come together with an interesting and entertaining plot. With mostly non-graphic violence and no sexual scenes, it would be appropriate for young adults.

With the Hunger Games series, Maze Runner series and Divergent series, it's difficult to find a unique take on the future. However, Ms. Khemvisay succeeds here. A virus taking out most of the older population isn't new, but the author adds twists and turns you won't see coming. The ending isn't necessarily complete; there is a possibility for a sequel. Nevertheless, the plot arc for this book is nicely concluded.

In addition, the characters are well-drawn. Some you'll love; some you'll love to hate. But, what I really enjoyed is that not everyone is who they seem to be. Without knowing the good guys from the bad guys, you won't know who to trust. This added a level of suspense to the story, keeping the reader entertained.

There is a small element of romance as Yuri and Ryoma are a couple at the start of the book. With their lives being turned upside down, will their relationship survive? It was fascinating to see all that tried to come between the two and their subsequent development. Their love is never centerstage but always there. I enjoyed that the book was clean, as well.

Sadly, as seems to happen so often, the author appears to have skipped the proofreading stage. The tenses didn't always quite agree. There were misspellings and incorrect punctuation. It was never completely overwhelming, but the errors were consistent throughout. I was, though, still able to become engrossed in the story.

I rate Death's Kiss 3 out of 4 stars. The story was gripping, the characters added mystery and the twists and turns kept you guessing. Still, the errors were too numerous for a perfect score. I recommend it for any who enjoy a dystopian story but can overlook some grammatical errors. I can't wait to see what the author comes out with next.

Death's Kiss
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

In addition, the characters are well-drawn. Some you'll love; some you'll love to hate. But, what I really enjoyed is that not everyone is who they seem to be. Without knowing the good guys from the bad guys, you won't know who to trust. This added a level of suspense to the story, keeping the reader entertained.
I love the element of suspense you described--sounds like one I'll enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

It sounds like a great book. I like that the characters are mysterious and unpredictable. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

What is it with this poor editing deal? I think that authors become excited to get their book out to the world. I don't get it.
I love disease-caused distopias, this one sounds interesting. A world with only kids sounds a bit chaotic.
Great review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I wonder what unique elements the author managed to bring into a futuristic world...? I may have had enough of dystopian books at the moment though. Already, Maze Runner and Divergent are too much for me. The protagonists' names hint at some Japanese influence...maybe? It would be interesting if the dystopian setting is more on the Eastern side of the world this time around. Thanks so much for this review!
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I am curious to know the unique take on the future, which makes it dirrent from other dystopian novels.

Thank you for the detailed review.
Eteru
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eteru.html
Latest Review: Otherside by Aaron Dennis

Post by Eteru »

Right after reading the summary, I have to agree that this concept is not quite new. However, you managed to build a review that makes this book look interesting and different from any other. Thanks for this compelling review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 00:06
I love the element of suspense you described--sounds like one I'll enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation.
A good story always keeps you guessing. This one days that for sure! Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 01:18 It sounds like a great book. I like that the characters are mysterious and unpredictable. Thank you for the review!
It was a great book. Very enjoyable. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Bianka Walter wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 01:40 What is it with this poor editing deal? I think that authors become excited to get their book out to the world. I don't get it.
I love disease-caused distopias, this one sounds interesting. A world with only kids sounds a bit chaotic.
Great review :)
I think some authors want to know if there book is good enough to even be worth the cost of editing? Just a theory. This one definitely is, though!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

inaramid wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 05:21 I wonder what unique elements the author managed to bring into a futuristic world...? I may have had enough of dystopian books at the moment though. Already, Maze Runner and Divergent are too much for me. The protagonists' names hint at some Japanese influence...maybe? It would be interesting if the dystopian setting is more on the Eastern side of the world this time around. Thanks so much for this review!
I understand. The market is inundated with Dystopian reads at the moment. I just enjoyed that the characters weren't exactly what you thought at the beginning. It made for a good twist. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Kajori50 wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 09:07 I am curious to know the unique take on the future, which makes it dirrent from other dystopian novels.

Thank you for the detailed review.
Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Eteru wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 09:29 Right after reading the summary, I have to agree that this concept is not quite new. However, you managed to build a review that makes this book look interesting and different from any other. Thanks for this compelling review!
You're right. The overall bones of the story aren't really unique. However, the author pulls you in anyway. As I said, it's the characters not quite being who you think at the beginning. There are so many twists with the characters that you won't believe. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
piecesfallapart
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piecesfallapart.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by piecesfallapart »

First, the Blackjack virus just killed me, I'm 24 so that's upsetting. In those 24 years, I have read many dystipian novels, and I know what to expect. This genre is not new and the stories have been told in every angle you can imagine. Besides, that suspense you were talking about, that might be everything this book needs to be different and special. Thank you Ms. Khemvisay for that.

The fact that this novel has no sexual scenes, makes me happy. I have no problem reading them, but I do not understand why, when the world is ending, someone thinks having a baby or making one is the solution. Romance, I do understand, you fall in love when you least expect it.

Thank you for the recommendation, I would be adding this book to my reading list.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

piecesfallapart wrote: 27 Nov 2018, 12:26 First, the Blackjack virus just killed me, I'm 24 so that's upsetting. In those 24 years, I have read many dystipian novels, and I know what to expect. This genre is not new and the stories have been told in every angle you can imagine. Besides, that suspense you were talking about, that might be everything this book needs to be different and special. Thank you Ms. Khemvisay for that.

The fact that this novel has no sexual scenes, makes me happy. I have no problem reading them, but I do not understand why, when the world is ending, someone thinks having a baby or making one is the solution. Romance, I do understand, you fall in love when you least expect it.

Thank you for the recommendation, I would be adding this book to my reading list.
It does seem that sometimes authors just like to throw in sex scenes just for the fun of it, but that's not the case here. Honestly, the whole book was interesting. I've also never seen a government that's based around a deck of cards. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”