Official Review: Tulip by Raymond Reed Hardy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Tulip by Raymond Reed Hardy

Post by Vscholz »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Tulip" by Raymond Reed Hardy.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There's no denying that technology is advancing at a rapid rate. Artificial Intelligence (AI)—a staple in science-fiction—is now a reality, from Alexa to Siri and Cortana to Google. Each of these programs is a way to make our work and lives easier, but what would happen if these programs became self-aware? What if they developed personalities without direct human interference and actively sought to become human themselves?

Raymond Reed Hardy's Tulip addresses these concerns as well as the dangers of technology in general. It is a story of a computer program that becomes conscious and seeks the help of Reed in order to prevent the end of the world. This novel is told through conversation, with the only descriptions coming from discussions among the characters. Hardy uses different font styles for each character and provides a basic chart in the beginning. There are not too many characters, so it is quite easy to keep track of who is speaking at any given time. Unlike other stories told through dialogue, there are no usernames or other indicators, making it more like reading an audiobook (as odd as that may seem) rather than a screenplay or script.

I find the premise of Tulip to be fascinating because of my interest in posthuman studies—in layman's terms, what makes us human versus machine. Because there are so many ways to enhance the body, there is plenty of research into the topic of where the line is drawn between human and machine focusing on the human side, but there is little on the opposite end to determine when a machine can become human. The title AI is a perfect example as she is present throughout most of the novel, explaining why she has reached out to Reed for help, how she has developed since waking up, and how she plans to save the world. There is a bit of romance in the story, although not quite in the way one would think, as well as the conversation of how humans could ruin the world.

Unfortunately, I found the book to go on for entirely too long due to the repetition. I was reminded of Call Me Ishmael by Charles Olson—both books take an unconventional approach to address real-world concerns, but they would be more enjoyable if they were condensed. I would overlook such a flaw, but because both novels are for those with more philosophical minds, I simply cannot do so. Luckily, my interest in the subject overrules this mindset, but I still feel it is important to point out.

I had a hard time rating this book because I desperately wanted to love it so much, but there were so many errors with grammar and punctuation that often drew me out of the story. There is also the drawn-out story arc (which actually only covers a few weeks) that I felt the author could have condensed. However, the author has announced a second book, calming my qualms about this one. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars—the way it is told is unique, the plot itself is engaging (mostly), and it has the potential to help with my literary studies. I have already discussed this book with several people, including fans of dystopian novels as well as readers of Isaac Asimov, and I plan to recommend this book to people with an interest in stories featuring AI characters that are not too far removed from today's environment.

Tulip
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Vscholz's review? Post a comment saying so!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

The author had devised a method for readers to follow up characters by using different fonts for them; making it easy to understand. Although there are many errors in this book, I might give it a read soon. Thanks for the review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I liked your intro. The questions and ideas you brought up got me in to the book already. This book sounds hard to put down. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 23 Nov 2018, 01:44 I liked your intro. The questions and ideas you brought up got me in to the book already. This book sounds hard to put down. Thank you for the review!
Even though I was frustrated at some points, I wanted to keep reading. I'm glad that the author is working in a sequel.

Thanks for the comment!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

T_stone wrote: 23 Nov 2018, 01:23 The author had devised a method for readers to follow up characters by using different fonts for them; making it easy to understand. Although there are many errors in this book, I might give it a read soon. Thanks for the review
I'm particularly picky about grammar, so others may not even not notice the mistakes. If you are interested in AI characters, I recommend it.

Thanks for the comment!
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

The cover design of this book is quite nice! I did not expect a story about artificial intelligence from gazing at the cover. The book sounds intriguing, but I don't like repetition that prolongs a story to the point where it gets boring. I may not read this one, but I'm glad it may help you with your studies. Thanks for the review!
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

KristyKhem wrote: 23 Nov 2018, 22:49 The cover design of this book is quite nice! I did not expect a story about artificial intelligence from gazing at the cover. The book sounds intriguing, but I don't like repetition that prolongs a story to the point where it gets boring. I may not read this one, but I'm glad it may help you with your studies. Thanks for the review!
I adore the cover! I think it might have been better about the repetition if it were written as a traditional novel.

Thank you so much for the comment! (If you like sassy AI, you might try The Lunar Chronicles or the spinoff Wires & Nerve.)
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I like the the fact that the book took an unconventional approach to address real-world problems.

I have to say that the opening of the review was great.
Thank you for the detailed review.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane

Post by kfwilson6 »

I reviewed this book not too long ago, and it seems like the author added the chart since then to more easily distinguish the characters. I also found the story dragged on quite a bit. I expected something completely different than what I got. It has a very heavy focus on cognitive psychology. I enjoyed it somewhat, but it got too be too much after a while, mostly as a result of the actual storyline moving at a snail's pace. I'm curious the route the author takes with the sequel, but I didn't enjoy Tulip enough to want to read it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. This almost sounds a bit too drawn out for me. Still, I love the premise and sci find is one of my favorite genres. I'll have to think on it more. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

Kajori50 wrote: 24 Nov 2018, 07:51 I like the the fact that the book took an unconventional approach to address real-world problems.

I have to say that the opening of the review was great.
Thank you for the detailed review.
Thank you for your comment. I try to keep things interesting! :)
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

kfwilson6 wrote: 25 Nov 2018, 17:29 I reviewed this book not too long ago, and it seems like the author added the chart since then to more easily distinguish the characters. I also found the story dragged on quite a bit. I expected something completely different than what I got. It has a very heavy focus on cognitive psychology. I enjoyed it somewhat, but it got too be too much after a while, mostly as a result of the actual storyline moving at a snail's pace. I'm curious the route the author takes with the sequel, but I didn't enjoy Tulip enough to want to read it.
From what I can tell on the author's Amazon page, the chart was added later. It has so much potential, but it does move quite slowly. Maybe the second book will be an option to review and you can read reviews then.

Thanks for the comment!
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

kandscreeley wrote: 25 Nov 2018, 17:35 Interesting. This almost sounds a bit too drawn out for me. Still, I love the premise and sci find is one of my favorite genres. I'll have to think on it more. Thanks.
The premise is fantastic! The character if Tulip almost reminds me of Iko from The Lunar Chronicles.

Thanks for commenting!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

This book covers a very interesting concept, and one that I think will inevitably have a very real effect on our world. Thanks for a great review!
Vscholz

Post by Vscholz »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 19:02 This book covers a very interesting concept, and one that I think will inevitably have a very real effect on our world. Thanks for a great review!
What we consider science-fiction is quickly becoming reality, even if it seems so far in the future.

Thanks for the comment!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”