Review by jhalwix -- Kiran by Ellen Steller

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jhalwix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhalwix.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Review by jhalwix -- Kiran by Ellen Steller

Post by jhalwix »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Kiran" by Ellen Steller.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Kiran: The Warrior's Daughter by Ellen Stellar is a science fiction story of a young adult named Kiran and her escape from the patriarchal traditions' of her parents. Kiran, unbeknownst to her, is a princess for a planet that lives by archaic rules that women are beneath men and are to be protected. Having been raised on a planet where women are mostly equal men, this comes as a shock to Kiran.

Will Kiran be able to change the standard of how women are seen in this society, or will she conform to her parents’ societal standards? Is the independence her mother raised her with going to hinder her time on her home planet?

Overall, I didn’t have too many issues with the book. It’s a pretty quick read once you get past the first couple of chapters. At first, the chapters seemed to have separate stories that didn’t seem to have any continuity. This could be fixed with a simple “three months later” under the title of the chapter to help the reader realize that the timeline had changed. I also found in the first three or four chapters there seemed to be a formatting issue. The fonts and letter sizing seemed to change a couple of times, but that could have just been my copy. Another issue I had, occurred when Kiran was trying to rid herself of her virginity, we never find out what the guy who she’s supposed to have this amazing connection with the name. It’s bothersome, especially since he makes his way back into the story near the end.

I really enjoyed how the author had the book set up (even if there was a continuity issue at first). Each chapter is titled as its own story, which is slightly different from how most authors set up their books. With this it allows the main character to explore different issues that occurred in the span of the story. I think this style of writing allowed the author’s writing to be well thought out. I think that Kiran is super relatable as a character and I can’t wait to see where the author takes her character in the next book in the series.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who’s looking for a decent sci-fi novel or just an interesting story overall. I think it’s better suited for teens or young adults than anyone else. Due to there being little errors and a very readable plot, I rate this 4 out of 4 stars

Kiran
View: on Bookshelves

Like jhalwix's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”