Official Review: The Strength of Tundro by A.J. Quinn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: The Strength of Tundro by A.J. Quinn

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Strength of Tundro" by A.J. Quinn.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The powerful goddess Atalia can create anything. Bored in her realm in the 7th dimension and itching for a project, she explores the other dimensions. She finds an uninhabited blue planet in the 6th dimension; she names the planet Tungaloo. Atalia meditates to create twin sons, Kendo and Kondamaru, who then help her create the first couple for Tungaloo. Kendo concentrates to create the first man, Kalvo; Kondamaru does the same for the first woman, Zeta.

After 1200 years, Tungaloo boasts of a bustling civilization, the Kingdom of Guntar. King Zuto and Queen Tari rule over their subjects in peace and unity.

Alas, their happy kingdom soon faces a big challenge! The evil Kontrax from the dark mountain, Eclipto, wants to usurp the kingdom. He vows to do so in twenty years when he has created enough Tanta warriors to defeat the kingdom’s formidable army.

Atalia prophesies that an Earthling, Tundro, will come to save the kingdom from Kontrax’s evil designs. But Tundro is a loser on Earth. He is rejected by his parents and sister, bullied in school, and rebuffed by the women he pursues. It seems he can do nothing right. Will he be the hero that the kingdom needs?

The Strength of Tundro reads like a book for kids. Author A.J. Quinn uses simple vocabulary, and the story feels like an expanded fairy tale. There are good and bad guys, magic tricks, a telepathic dragon, and a powerful sword a la Excalibur, stuff that tweens and preteens usually enjoy. The author shares lessons on family love, good manners, perseverance, and forgiveness.

Unfortunately, the book failed to bewitch me; it sorely needs more imagination. The Kingdom of Guntar, though in another dimension, suspiciously looks like any human civilization, minus the squabbling. Everybody wears the same clothes: loincloths and robes. Only the Tanta warriors look different; they have four arms and have three eyeballs on the right side of the face and sharp teeth on the left. Apart from threatening to conquer the kingdom, Kontrax does not do many other wicked acts. I rarely meet such a boring villain.

Among the few fight scenes, the encounters with the seven-headed snake are the most suspenseful. There are ballgames in the story; those are more exciting than the final battle scene which everybody prepared twenty years for.

With regard to the writing, the author tends to use superfluous words. In the first page, the phrase “the goddess Atalia” is used eight times. This happens every time a new character or place is introduced, including the snake. The phrase “the 7-headed snake” is used 12 times in one paragraph alone.

Conversations are merged with descriptions, and all the conversers share the same paragraph. It is difficult to pinpoint who is talking, especially when Kendo and Kondamaru are involved, what with their similar-sounding names.

Scene changes are not marked off and sometimes occur in the same paragraph. This adds to the confused jumble. Moreover, there are scenes that do not seem necessary, or their essence is lost on me. These include the crying baby Tundro, the baseball game, and the training at the Leadership Academy.

The final blow is dealt by the poor grammar. The text is littered with misspellings, punctuation issues, and wrong verbs. Here’s a sample of the more egregious errors: Kendo “waived at his brother,” the newlyweds left after the “(wedding) receptionist,” and Kendo “begins righting the message.” I won’t let kids read bad grammar in their books; they already face more than enough of it via social media and texting.

While I see the potential strength in this book, I cannot recommend it for now. I hope A.J. Quinn will find the magic to resolve the issues noted. For now, I can give the book only 1 out of 4 stars.

P.S. That is the goddess Atalia on the cover.

The Strength of Tundro
View: on Bookshelves

Like Miriam Molina's review? Post a comment saying so!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

The first three sentences are where the true potential exists for this book. The rest of the storyline sounded way overdone. Sounds like Quinn has more than three strikes, so I'm taking your beautifully written advice and moving on to something with more stars and fewer strikes.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

kfwilson6 wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 23:41 The first three sentences are where the true potential exists for this book. The rest of the storyline sounded way overdone. Sounds like Quinn has more than three strikes, so I'm taking your beautifully written advice and moving on to something with more stars and fewer strikes.
I debated with myself whether I could give 2 stars; myself answered, "I'll turn you into a Tanta if you do that!" Since I don't have the budget for a double manicure ...
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Oh my! This sounds simply awful. You’ve given it a good try, but this book sounds too much like hard work. Thanks for bearing the brunt of this one for the rest of us. Needless to say, I’ll pass.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

quite unfortunate that the authors intention to execute the book to its best was never successful, it could still be given a try.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This one definitely sounds like it would have been tough to get through. The scene changes with no demarcation would be confusing, the grammar is horrible and the plot just doesn't have enough imagination for me. I'll skip this one, but perhaps the author can do some editing and make this one more enjoyable.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

kandscreeley wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 09:08 Wow! This one definitely sounds like it would have been tough to get through. The scene changes with no demarcation would be confusing, the grammar is horrible and the plot just doesn't have enough imagination for me. I'll skip this one, but perhaps the author can do some editing and make this one more enjoyable.
Not really that tough because of the simple vocabulary. It was all of 42 pages; I think it could easily be condensed to 24 with a much better impact. If it were me, I'd start the revamp by making Kontrax a nastier villain.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

fredrick otieno wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 04:09 quite unfortunate that the authors intention to execute the book to its best was never successful, it could still be given a try.
It's a short book (just 42 pages) likewise short on many fronts. If you dare read it, do tell how you feel about it.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

sonya01 wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 01:59 Oh my! This sounds simply awful. You’ve given it a good try, but this book sounds too much like hard work. Thanks for bearing the brunt of this one for the rest of us. Needless to say, I’ll pass.
I hope A.J. Quinn will be able to save this book from oblivion.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I wonder a how a short book have so much errors, as though it were a book of hundreds of pages. I think it's best to steer clear off this. Thanks for your honest review on this one.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kristine29
Currently Reading: Release that witch
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine29.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by kristine29 »

I quite agree with the reviewer, I wouldn't let children read a book full of grammatical errors. Books are meant to be learned from. From what I understand this book is either written by a super amateur or the author themselves are quite negligent
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

kristine29 wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 19:43 I quite agree with the reviewer, I wouldn't let children read a book full of grammatical errors. Books are meant to be learned from. From what I understand this book is either written by a super amateur or the author themselves are quite negligent
I do hope the author is not discouraged and tries again.

Thanks for the visit and comment.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

T_stone wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 17:12 I wonder a how a short book have so much errors, as though it were a book of hundreds of pages. I think it's best to steer clear off this. Thanks for your honest review on this one.
I think the author needs to partner with a good editor. I hope he/she finds one.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Ouch, and I was really enjoying this summary which is a fairy tale of sorts. It's just a pity the editing is below average and the plot is watery. I know I would have lost it if I had to read "the goddess Atalia", and "the 7-headed snake" more than twice in close proximity. And a boring villain? No can do until this has been fine tuned.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Vickie Noel wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 11:44 Ouch, and I was really enjoying this summary which is a fairy tale of sorts. It's just a pity the editing is below average and the plot is watery. I know I would have lost it if I had to read "the goddess Atalia", and "the 7-headed snake" more than twice in close proximity. And a boring villain? No can do until this has been fine tuned.
The goddess Atalia can create anything. Maybe she can create a punctilious editor for this story. :P

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”