Official Review: Cyberside by Aleksey Savchenko

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Official Review: Cyberside by Aleksey Savchenko

Post by Bianka Walter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Cyberside" by Aleksey Savchenko.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Earth is dying. Every day, we see new threats warning us about the impending doom of our planet. Global warming, as contentious a subject as it may be, is a real danger. In Cyberside, the Earth has reached the point in the future where it is no longer habitable. However, people have come up with a way to ensure the continuation of the human race; or some form of it, anyway. As a digitised version of the Earth, the Cyberside is a place where humanity is able to transfer its combined consciousness and live on.

In this new realm, Taciturns are men and women that hunt and kill the monsters that exist in the Cyberside. James, one such man, gets tasked with slaying a Scry. These monsters murder people by absorbing their identities, memories, skills, and everything else that makes them human - until only dust remains. This particular Scry, however, has other plans. Cornering James into a conversation, they reach an agreement. The Scry, Matilda, employs James to help her find answers about who she really is. They form a tentative relationship whereby they can find the answers that she’s looking for; the answers that, unbeknownst to them, end up threatening the existence of the whole Cyberside.

I am a big fan of dystopian novels. The idea of a digital version of Earth is such a unique one, and that on its own is an endorsement. I was expecting to find a bit of RPGlit similar to Ready Player One, but instead, this book is so much more than just the premise of a digital world. The characters were intricate, the plot was multi-layered and exciting, the dialogue was effortless, and the pacing was just right. Needless to say, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The main characters, James and Matilda, are polar opposites. The job description of Taciturn describes James perfectly. He is broody and introverted and keeps very much to himself. Conversely, Matilda is a bit wild. She wears her emotions on her sleeve and makes rash decisions. When embarking on a journey with two such characters, one can only expect to witness some very interesting exchanges. I couldn’t help but fall in love with both of these characters. As the book progresses, the relationship between them evolves. I love that their developing bond is not neat or conventional. There are ups and downs and plateaus – it was wonderful to read.

It is clear that the authors, Aleksey Savchenko and Bert Jennings, have backgrounds in computer programming and gaming. My only scruple about this book was that, often, I felt a bit left out of what was going on in this highly innovative digital sphere. It was a bit too advanced for me. I would suggest that the authors dumb it down slightly – which I have no doubt they probably thought that they already had! That being said, it did not take away from my enjoyment of the book. The parts I found difficult to understand slowly became clearer as the story advanced.

This book has been professionally edited. I found a small number of errors, but they were few and far between. Cyberside is deserving of a perfect 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to sci-fi fans, as well as seasoned gamers. There are a few Easter eggs roaming around the pages that I think would be well appreciated by such an audience. I read on Amazon that there is a second book in the pipeline – to which I found I was very excited. I applaud the authors for leaving no cliff-hanger and focusing on finishing the book with no stone left unturned. I look forward to seeing what happens next in the Cyberside.

Cyberside
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bianka Walter's review? Post a comment saying so!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I love that this novel actually offers a unique take on the whole "the Earth will become uninhabitable" storyline. I enjoy dystopian novels as well but find they all start to resemble one another. Yay for something different! Wonderful review as always.
ghosh_dj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by ghosh_dj »

This book seems to deliver a unique take on dystopia. Coupled with a budding romance and no cliff-hanger, this seems a perfect read to me. Thanks for the review!
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

very interesting sci-fi novel. well thought and properly executed, this is a must read for me. thanks for this review
aboura
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by aboura »

I have really enjoyed the novel, especially the dynamics between the characters, James and Matilda. Good story as well, would be interested to read a prequel or anything about the world that is described in the book. Also, an interesting vision of development of technologies and where progress can ultimately lead us as humanity
Gee-Ruth
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gee-ruth.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II

Post by Gee-Ruth »

Thank you for your intriguing review. I do enjoy sci-fi and this does sound like an interesting read.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

kfwilson6 wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 23:36 I love that this novel actually offers a unique take on the whole "the Earth will become uninhabitable" storyline. I enjoy dystopian novels as well but find they all start to resemble one another. Yay for something different! Wonderful review as always.
Yay for something different!
Thanks K :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

ghosh_dj wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 01:11 This book seems to deliver a unique take on dystopia. Coupled with a budding romance and no cliff-hanger, this seems a perfect read to me. Thanks for the review!
Actually - that was the best part - there was no romance between the two. They were more father/daughter dynamic.
Thanks for the comments!
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

fredrick otieno wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 04:16 very interesting sci-fi novel. well thought and properly executed, this is a must read for me. thanks for this review
I hope you enjoy it if you do read it!
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

aboura wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 05:16 I have really enjoyed the novel, especially the dynamics between the characters, James and Matilda. Good story as well, would be interested to read a prequel or anything about the world that is described in the book. Also, an interesting vision of development of technologies and where progress can ultimately lead us as humanity
Absolutely! Thanks for stopping by :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Gee-Ruth wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 06:11 Thank you for your intriguing review. I do enjoy sci-fi and this does sound like an interesting read.
Thanks for the comments! It was definitely interesting :)
- Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

You said the magic words - dystopian! The earth is no longer habitable and it sounds like everyone keeps going in a matrix type cyber earth. Wow! I can't WAIT to read this one. It's going on my list! Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Your review has really piqued my interest in what sounds like an interesting read. Great review!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I am definitely going to check this one out. A sci-fi book with no cliffhanger ending mixed with a little bit of romance sounds good enough. Nice review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love dystopian novels as well. This sounds unique and exciting. Great review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”