Official Review: Smoke By the River by David McKibben

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Smoke By the River by David McKibben

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Smoke By the River" by David McKibben.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Smoke by the River is a tale of fantasy, time-travel, and adventure. It was written by David McKibben. The story follows Kevin Whitecoate, also known as Wildcat. Kevin has an interesting hobby – he finds and collects Native American artifacts from the places which these people once inhabited. One day while searching for arrowheads in Kokomo, he takes a bad fall. When he comes to his senses, he realizes that he has traveled through time to the 1600s. He is kidnapped by a tribe of Native Indians who sells him to another tribe. Through his musical abilities, he makes friends easily and becomes a popular village musician who plays a particular tune called ‘Smoke by the River’.

Kevin shares his knowledge of civilization and languages with the Natives. After settling into his new life, he is whisked back into the present. However, Kevin notices that things have changed. The names of people and places, the foods eaten, and the architecture are all Native American. Their community is also like a tribe and they have regular tribal events. At one of these events, Kevin suddenly finds that he’s able to play an ancient flute which once belonged to a Native American musician called Wildcat, who is really his past self. Kevin realizes that he is simultaneously existing in two eras. Uncontrollably, he jumps from the past to the present, and vice versa, living life trapped between two worlds, but finding his life’s purpose in both.

I really enjoyed learning about Native American culture from this book as it provided many insights about their lifestyle. While some things seemed to be the author’s unique twist on things (such as deer-riding being a main mode of transportation), some things I know were factual. Examples of the things which the author included were Native American food, language, and customs. I learned that these people hunted and ate a wide variety of wild animals, such as bears, buffalo, groundhogs, foxes, and deer. Their names referenced nature a lot. This can be seen in characters named ‘Buffalohorn’, ‘Moondog’, and ‘Cloudwatcher’. Some Native American words were included in the book, like ‘ahsena’ which referred to a large stone gathering, similar to Stonehenge. Smoking was also an integral part of the tribal culture as it encouraged bonding between members. Moreover, there were initiation rites for new additions to the tribes.

Another thing which I liked was the simple flow of the story. While there were many characters to keep track of, the author did not complicate the storyline by introducing too many adventures and using complex language. With two different lifetimes unfolding in the story, I was able to follow along easily. Despite the simplicity of the writing, there were enough twists to hold my interest. For instance, there was a ‘Great secret’ which had to be revealed, as well as the strange appearance of another character besides Wildcat, who could also time-travel.

While Kevin’s experiences were explained in great detail, the physical descriptions of the characters were lacking. Besides the tribe-members’ tattooed skin, not much information is given. Even Kevin’s character was not amply described. I would have liked to know what he looked like. While reading, I wondered whether he had Native American features, whether he had Caucasian features or whether he was mixed race. I also wondered if his appearance affected his assimilation into the tribe. I think it is important to paint a picture with words so that readers can have a mental image of the main characters. I also noticed a few errors in the book. These were mainly typos, some proper nouns which were supposed to begin with capital letters, and common nouns which incorrectly began with uppercase letters.

This book deserves 3 out of 4 stars for its simple and enjoyable storyline, as well as its fascinating perspective into Native American culture. I deducted a star because of the errors as well as the vague character descriptions. Smoke by the River will appeal to fantasy and history fans, especially those who have a penchant for reading about time-travel, and different cultures.

Smoke By the River
View: on Bookshelves

Like KristyKhem's review? Post a comment saying so!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

This is a great review, and I really want to read this book now! I love the concept of time-travel and how meddling in past events can drastically alter the future - many options and potential changes to what we know as the 'present'.
Sara Kay
Currently Reading: The Water Trade
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-kay.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Sara Kay »

I think I'd really enjoy this story (and that is saying a lot because I am an excessively descriptive person and love descriptive books). The storyline and theme definitely intrigues me. Thank you for your thoughts and lovely review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I should definitely read this book as I could learn more about Native Americans. This sounds like it's interesting while you learn something which is what I always prefer. Thanks for a great review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

a very brilliant way to structure a novel especial historical fiction. I love the fact you not only come out of the book as a satisfied book reader but also rich in american history. Thank you for this good review.
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

fredrick otieno wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 10:13 a very brilliant way to structure a novel especial historical fiction. I love the fact you not only come out of the book as a satisfied book reader but also rich in american history. Thank you for this good review.
Very true! Thanks for sharing a comment :)
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 02:47 This is a great review, and I really want to read this book now! I love the concept of time-travel and how meddling in past events can drastically alter the future - many options and potential changes to what we know as the 'present'.
I hope you get a chance to read it!
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

kandscreeley wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 09:08 I should definitely read this book as I could learn more about Native Americans. This sounds like it's interesting while you learn something which is what I always prefer. Thanks for a great review.
Native American history is one of my favorite cultures to read about. I'm always learning something new about their tribes. I think you will enjoy this book, as there is a lot of unique insights about them!
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

LOL. "Smoke by the River." This sounds like a fun read. I like the idea of someone going back to a time when Native American cultures were at their height. I also think it would be interesting to think about a present time dominated by Native American culture. I'm sure I've never read anything like that before. Thanks for this great review.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

The author has done a good job, whisking the main character between two eras without causing ambiguities. I will like to check this out soon. Theme for the review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Kristy Khem
Currently Reading:

Post by Kristy Khem »

Dael Reader wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 19:56 LOL. "Smoke by the River." This sounds like a fun read. I like the idea of someone going back to a time when Native American cultures were at their height. I also think it would be interesting to think about a present time dominated by Native American culture. I'm sure I've never read anything like that before. Thanks for this great review.
I also thought that the premise was a unique one for the sci-fi genre. Thank you for sharing a comment
John-Clement Gallo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by John-Clement Gallo »

Hmm... Might have to check this one out.
ByEqualMeasure
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 424

Post by ByEqualMeasure »

Okay, now I am fascinated. I admit to putting this book into the 'not-interested shelf' due mainly to the huge number of books I currently wish to read and corresponding time allowance. (...yikes) Also, the book-cover was dull and we all know that is usually :lightsaber: :muahaha: :muahaha: :muahaha: the best way to judge any good work of fiction... LOL! However, my sense of fair play would not allow me to continue on without at least reading the review and as usual I am so happy I did!
You said, "fantasy", "time travel" and "adventure"; I sat up straighter in my chair! Then when you mentioned Native American histories being possibly altered... with them coming out of the fight not utterly wiped-out!? Well? I am officially placing high expectations on this book. I am hoping the author, David McKibben's sense of adventure is as similar to mine as is his taste in subject matter and I get to read on some great pay back; at least on a fictional level I feel Native American's deserve it!

Thanks for the great job on the review you really opened my eyes!
Peace.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”