Official Review: Steele Chronicles Colony Crisis Book 1: ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: Steele Chronicles Colony Crisis Book 1: ...

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Steele Chronicles Colony Crisis Book 1: Gathering Forces" by Andrew Utsogn.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gathering Forces is a science fiction novel, Book One of the Steele Chronicles: Colony Crisis Series by Andrew Utsogn. The year is 5568, the 56th century. Humanity has spread across the galaxy, now spanning a hundred light years. The first and oldest colony is on a planet called Centauri in the nearest star system, Alpha Centauri. As technology improves and new colonies expand beyond governed space, humans continue to push outwards to explore and colonise what they see as being "rightly theirs". Unfortunately, other planetary inhabitants may disagree, as "Xeno Wrangler" Carl Wolf finds when he joins one such exploration team. Meanwhile, Tatyana Orlov is on the run in Novyy Moskva, a city in the Alpha Centauri System, pursued by the deadly Dimitri and the police. She is wanted for the murder of her father, Doctor Orlov. Further afield, on the planet of New Hope in the Beta Bootis system, a reptilian race of Dak'kati battle the Kluj in a cataclysmic war.

Utsogn's writing is simple, clean, and easy to read. He has a great imagination, rendering his unusual worlds from scratch. His descriptive detail isn't obsessive, merely released as needed, which I liked. He seems to have put much thought and effort into his depiction of the universe in the distant future. The dialogue is neat and the characters seem realistic. The tense and fast-paced climactic action scene is gripping, as is an earlier action scene; I really flew through these sections of the book. Overall, I found this story entertaining all the way through.

However, this book needs further editing. I found ten minor errors by page 40. Aside from punctuation errors, a lowercase letter is often used to begin speech mid-sentence: "She turned to the boss before answering, 'no, no logs,'" instead of 'No, no logs'. Incorrect words are sometimes used, such as "breathes" for "breaths", "tact" for "tack", and "discrete" for "discreet". The latter annoys me, as they have two very different meanings: "separate" and "secretive". Also, a different character's speech usually doesn't begin a new paragraph, which is confusing and frustrating when you have to re-read paragraphs after assuming the same person has spoken twice when it is actually two people. These issues reinforce how important it is to read plenty of books yourself to get the editing right in your own.

Some of Utsogn's writing is a little "off" or "lazy" at times; this is rare but still noticeable. For example: "It wasn't until he walked along the edges of the clearing before he could begin to inspect the real jungle." The correct phrasing is: "...that he could begin to inspect..." as "before" doesn't work in this context. Another example is: "There were also several various sized craters partially filled with water strewn about." This makes it sound like the water is strewn about, not the craters. I would say: "Several water-filled craters of various sizes were strewn about." This also shortens the sentence. As I said, editing is key.

As for "laziness": "The first signs of the night sky had begun to appear from the moons that started to appear as the sun moved closer to the horizon." It stands out having both "begun to appear" and "started to appear" in the same sentence. Another example is on page 342, with the phrase "taking notice" or "taking note" used three times across three consecutive sentences. I also feel the chapters could be shortened with further breaks in the narrative, such as when Carl sleeps overnight in Chapter 4.

My rating for Gathering Forces is 3 out of 4 stars. Though it has many errors, they are all minor and could all be fixed with a decent edit. Were it possible to award half-stars, I would give this book 2-and-a-half, especially considering I have had to award a few really excellent books 3 stars (when they deserved 4) based on them having just over ten minor errors in the entire manuscript. However, the story in this book is solid and entertaining and I never grew bored anywhere in nearly 500 pages. With professional editing, I would recommend this book to any fan of science fiction; just be advised it includes a few violent action scenes.

Steele Chronicles Colony Crisis Book 1: Gathering Forces
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Once again, it's too bad about the editing here. The book must still be pretty good to get a three star rating. It's interesting that you talk about humans exploring what is "rightly theirs." That about sums up our attitude, doesn't it? I'd love to see this author's take on the future. Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

I have always been a big fan of imagination. According to your wonderful review, i will find a huge chunk of it in this book. Due to that i will excuse the errors for now and enjoy the story.
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

I marvel at people's imaginations and their ability to create entire new worlds for their characters. Sloppy writing and editing is annoying, but a great story can make up for this. Thanks for your in-depth review.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kandscreeley wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 08:42 Once again, it's too bad about the editing here. The book must still be pretty good to get a three star rating. It's interesting that you talk about humans exploring what is "rightly theirs." That about sums up our attitude, doesn't it? I'd love to see this author's take on the future. Thanks so much!
Thanks for your comments! Yeah, humans seem to take the attitude at times that "everything is ours", even though there is plenty we still don't understand, and - in the case of this book - should respect, and sometimes fear.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Franc93 wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 13:49 I have always been a big fan of imagination. According to your wonderful review, i will find a huge chunk of it in this book. Due to that i will excuse the errors for now and enjoy the story.
There is certainly plenty of imagination in this book. If you like sci-fi, I think you'll enjoy it. Thanks!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 12 Nov 2018, 19:56 I marvel at people's imaginations and their ability to create entire new worlds for their characters. Sloppy writing and editing is annoying, but a great story can make up for this. Thanks for your in-depth review.
Yeah, I think this has the potential to be a very entertaining series for sci-fi fans. Thanks for commenting.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”