Official Review: From Frights to Flaws, 2nd Edition

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: From Frights to Flaws, 2nd Edition

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From Frights to Flaws, 2nd Edition" by Sunayna Prasad.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From Frights to Flaws by Sunayna Prasad is a cute contemporary fantasy story for young readers. Since her parents’ deaths in a car crash seven years ago, twelve-year-old Alyssa lives with her strict uncle, where she passes her days being homeschooled and doing lessons. Unknown to her, Alyssa’s life is about to get much more interesting. She begins receiving strange notes about magic, and odd things start happening in her uncle’s house. With the arrival of a wizard named Simon, who is a living marble figure, Alyssa learns that a dark wizard seeks to use Alyssa to gain enough power so he can rule France. Caught up in fearful circumstances, Alyssa must find a way to defeat the dark wizard before he can use her.

This story has a lot of heart. Alyssa is a strong kid who’s not afraid to speak up, even when adults think she’s crazy for believing in things like magic. When she learns that the dark wizard is going to harm her uncle, Alyssa does everything she can to warn him, despite that he’s not her favorite person. When she’s told about the dark wizard’s tragic past, she even feels for him to a degree. Alyssa is a great example of compassion. She’s definitely a character I could cheer for.

The story also has a sort of whimsy to it. Even though there’s lots of talk of enslaving and killing, there are moments of brightness and humor, too. A little ways into the story, the dark wizard kidnaps Alyssa and brings her to his base on Fiji. There, she’s rescued by some good wizards, who quickly become great mentors and friends to our leading lady. The magical world itself is adorable. There are magical versions of iPads and laptops with magical versions of popular apps. Actually, the further I read, the more this enchanting world seemed at odds with the killing talk. Some of the darkness feels too dark for the story, but that problem isn’t present throughout the entire book. The bad guys have a humorously dumb side, which tempers the darkness.

There were a handful of story inconsistencies. Toward the beginning, the time of an appointment changed a couple of times. A bit later, Alyssa and her cousin stay with a friend of their uncle’s while he goes to an emergency meeting for work. When he picks them up, Alyssa asks if he saw the magical note on the passenger seat, when the note actually appeared during dinner when her uncle wasn’t even around. This kind of thing happened a few times. I found it a bit distracting, but it was infrequent enough that it didn’t hamper my reading experience too much.

On a bigger scale, character motivations seemed off. Simon explains the dark wizard’s story and reasons for his actions over a few scenes. I had to reread them a few times to figure out what on Earth was happening and why exactly the wizard wanted to rule France at all. There were so many little details and twists in the telling. On a similar note, many things seemed to just happen because an event needed to take place. For example, Alyssa and her friends on Fiji wanted to be able to know what the dark wizard was doing, and suddenly, Simon had a temporary tracking app on his magical iPad.

Honestly, this is one of the toughest ratings I’ve had to assign. After much thought, I rate From Frights to Flaws 3 out of 4 stars. I noticed only a handful of errors, which made the actual reading easy. The confusing story aspects and inconsistencies almost brought my rating down to 2. However, Alyssa’s strength as a protagonist coupled with the fantastic worldbuilding bumped my choice up a star. I definitely recommend this book to a young audience, especially girls between 9 and 12. The dark themes might make this a little scary for younger kids, and adults, particularly ones fluent in the fantasy genre, may not have enough here to hold their interest. Though, if you’re up for a story that doesn’t take itself too seriously, this is a fun and lighthearted read.

From Frights to Flaws, 2nd Edition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad the little details don't quite add up. The character of Simon sounds interesting. A marble figure that's a wizard? It sounds enjoyable despite the flaws. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

sounds like a Harry Potter knock off to me.. I think i'll pass on this one
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I absolutely love how you specified your audience for this book. I sometimes find myself interested in a teen fantasy only to realize it truly is geared toward a young audience. This sounded interesting, but your warning that it may not hold the interest of adult fantasy-lovers has convinced me this story probably isn't "mature" enough for me. The inconsistencies would bother me as well. Excellent in-depth analysis.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

With the arrival of a wizard named Simon, who is a living marble figure, Alyssa learns that a dark wizard seeks to use Alyssa to gain enough power so he can rule France.
Manipulations and conspiracies such as those in books and especially in real life are a sad fact. It's good that this book also highlighted the better possibilities of "worldbuilding."

On a lighter side, stuff quirkily appearing or disappearing and other unexplainable events are quite the marks of the mysterious realms I used to find in fictional pieces. It would have been better, though, if the details and the flow had been convincing enough to stir your imaginative mind.

Thank you for your honest, thoughtful, and thorough review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”