Official Review: Lake of Sins by L. S. O''Dea

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Official Review: Lake of Sins by L. S. O''Dea

Post by JR Mercier »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lake of Sins" by L. S. O''Dea.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When the Great Death came, if claimed the lives of most humans and animals over 20 pounds. No one knew why but the world left behind is one riddled with savage creatures.

Trinity was taught to hide her eccentricities: her fangs, her claws, her ears. Never mind her above average hearing and eyesight. She’s always had to hide and now, a week before the Harvest List is to be read, Trinity knows she needs to find out what happens to the ones who aren’t chosen to breed. What happens to the undesirable ones? On a mission for the truth, Trinity sets out into the wild. But is she ready to hear the whole truth? Because nothing can truly prepare her for the real story.

I must say, I was pleasantly surprised by how much Lake of Sins: Escape took me by surprise. There was more to the story than just a girl trying to uncover the truth of her people. There were many different characters, each with their own motivations and personalities. I immensely enjoyed the fact that the good guys and bad guys aren’t as clear-cut as most. The lore is different and more diverse than what I had expected. There are Almighties, Producers, Guards, Handlers, Trackers, cold creepers - the list goes on and I must say, I can’t wait to read about the Forest Witch.

Trinity was one unique character. I’m not saying she doesn’t have her flaws – she does. It’s just... she was an enigma. Her curiosity was adorable, and her experiences were quite funny. She was constantly faced with new things that left her completely baffled. Her interactions with the other characters, especially Mirra and Gaar, had me all warm and fuzzy. I also enjoyed her character development. At first, she kind of irritated me but she very quickly learns and adapts, which made her a lot more fun to read. Although there is some romance, it is not the focus and is more an afterthought, something I enjoyed immensely.

The hierarchy was a bit confusing at first but luckily there is a glossary at the end of the book. Things also become a lot clearer as time moves on. The mystery of what happens to the producers was suitably gruesome and fascinating. It made me rethink everything I had read previously. I loved it.

I only wish the scenes had been a bit more detailed, especially the ending. It felt a bit rushed and when I saw it was the end of the book, I was a bit dumbfounded. And while this is a young adult book, there is a lot of talk about breeding and so forth. Nothing of an explicit sexual nature happens. This book is clearly professionally edited and I only noticed two misplaced commas.

I rate Lake of Sins: Escape 3 out of 4 stars. I was suitably intrigued and I loved the mixture of innocent humour with a gruesome and unforgiving world. I would recommend this read to those seeking something a bit different and a tad more shiver-worthy to read.

Lake of Sins
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like JR Mercier's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Sounds like an interesting and fun book to read. Trinity sounds fun to get to know. Thanks for the review!
:tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Ooh! This one sounds right up my alley! I really want to know about Trinity and her society. What does happen to the undesirables? It's too bad my reading list is so long!! Too many good books and not enough time. Thanks for the review. I'll have to think about moving this one ahead of something else.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

What a great review! I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for this one!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds seriously intriguing! I'm definitely interested about Trinity and her adventures, and it is a great plus that the good and evil aren't as clear-cut. Thanks for the great review as always, and it's been a long time! (:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Book Lover 35 wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 01:17 Sounds like an interesting and fun book to read. Trinity sounds fun to get to know. Thanks for the review!
She is a really cool character and her development is also something I look forward to. Thanks for commenting. :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

kandscreeley wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 10:06 Ooh! This one sounds right up my alley! I really want to know about Trinity and her society. What does happen to the undesirables? It's too bad my reading list is so long!! Too many good books and not enough time. Thanks for the review. I'll have to think about moving this one ahead of something else.
Girl, my tbr list is longer than my list of problems right now so I understand completely! Still, thank you for commenting. :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 21:09 What a great review! I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for this one!
YAY! I hope you enjoy it!
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

gen_g wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 22:58 This sounds seriously intriguing! I'm definitely interested about Trinity and her adventures, and it is a great plus that the good and evil aren't as clear-cut. Thanks for the great review as always, and it's been a long time! (:
I know! Life has been a bit hectic lately but I'm making time for my reviews again. Thank you for the warm welcome back. :tiphat: :tiphat:
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

I am only intrigued. Nothing more. I have to read to find out. Thanks for the interesting review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Sirlimu01
Currently Reading: Kaiserjaeger
Bookshelf Size: 244
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sirlimu01 »

I love to read this book to know more about Trinity and it Adventure. Thank you for your review
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

By the way you describe Trinity and her inexperience, curiosity or spirit of adventure, I have the feeling teenagers would easily relate to her and would probably enjoy reading the book. I definitely loved reading your review and it stirred my own curiosity about the fantastic universe of the book. Thanks!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Booklover80
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Booklover80 »

I would like to read this book based on your review. I like that it had many surprises and had many distinctive and interesting characters. It sounds like a fun read.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

This is a good review and the book is interesting too, i would love to read and so i am including it in my list. thank you.
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

is it safe to say that the main antagonist is a vampire? Or something entirely new. Thanks for the review i will surely have to make time for this new adventure.
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”