Official Review: Dead Weight by Matt Casamassina

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Dead Weight by Matt Casamassina

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dead Weight" by Matt Casamassina.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Zephyr is out camping with his girlfriend Keiko when he finds her missing. The only thing left of her is her clothing. Where did she run off to and why would she have gone without her clothes? He knows he's going to get in trouble for losing her as he was supposed to be spending the night at a friend's house. Resigning himself to the inevitable, he races towards home hoping to bring others to help search for her. All that he finds is more empty clothes, bodies gone. Is this the Rapture? Alien Abductions? Where is everyone and how will he survive now?

Dead Weight by Matt Casamassina is a post-apocalyptic novel. The version that I reviewed was the audible book narrated by Joshua Nicholson. It's almost 10 hours to listen to which would be great for a weekend or even a short road trip.

The theme of the novel is certainly not unique. I've read my fair share of books where everyone has disappeared or there has been another such life-altering event. The author does put his own touches on the story, but it still isn't necessarily that different from other such books. So, if you don't enjoy end-of-the-world stories, you aren't going to want to listen to this one. For me, it was still enjoyable.

The narrator has a nice soothing voice that is easy to listen to. He does attempt different voices for each character and, for the most part, accomplishes the feat well. Never once did I get lost as to who was speaking, which can be easy to do in an audio book format. Also, I've listened to books where the narrator is a monotone. That is never fun, and I'm pleased to say that is not the case here. Mr. Nicholson does a fabulous job catching the audience's attention.

There are a range of characters in the story - old, young, men, women. It includes, of course, those that are evil and will take advantage of the situation. Still, most of the people are a mix of good and bad as you would see in real life. To me, this always makes the book more realistic. We do explore some of where they came from, but the book is more focused on their lives going forward.

I did find a fair bit of violence in the book as well as some graphic scenes. Therefore, I wouldn't recommend this to the squeamish or younger audiences. Also, you won't find all the answers here. There are still some questions in your mind after reading, though I was fascinated by some of the theories postulated by the characters. In a genre such as this, that's pretty commonplace, but I realize it might be off-putting to some. Also, the ending of the book does hint at the possibility of another book. Whether or not that is the author's intent, I'm unsure.

All in all, I rate Dead Weight 4 out of 4 stars. The narrator was on-point, and the story was enjoyable. I would recommend it those who enjoy audio books that center on world-altering events. If you are looking for a book that is uplifting and encouraging with no riddles left unanswered, you're probably not going to want to read this one. I hope that Mr. Casamassina continues what he has started, perhaps answering a few more of the questions that were raised here.

Dead Weight
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I think this is the first audiobook review I have seen! The premise is not a new one, but it seems interesting and certainly worth checking out since the story seems to be well-developed. I hope that there is a paperback available? Thanks for the amazing review!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Although post-apocalyptic stories have sort of been done to death, the fact that you gave it 4 stars tells me it is likely to be better than most and well worth a read. Insightful review without giving away too much.
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

I didn't know you could review audio books! In fact I've never actually heard one, but I've always wanted to, and I might just start with this one. Post-apocalyptic books aren't really that fascinating to me, but when done well I do find them quite enjoyable. Congratulations on the great review!
Gee-Ruth
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gee-ruth.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II

Post by Gee-Ruth »

Thanks for your honest review. I know there is no way i will listen to an audiobook, but i'm definitely reading this one.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

gen_g wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 00:43 I think this is the first audiobook review I have seen! The premise is not a new one, but it seems interesting and certainly worth checking out since the story seems to be well-developed. I hope that there is a paperback available? Thanks for the amazing review!
I looked on Amazon before reviewing this one, and I'm pretty sure that all the versions are available including an e-book. Thanks for commenting! I hope you enjoy.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 00:45 Although post-apocalyptic stories have sort of been done to death, the fact that you gave it 4 stars tells me it is likely to be better than most and well worth a read. Insightful review without giving away too much.
Thanks! It's always tough to figure out how much to reveal, especially in stories such as these. The book does make you think.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Sahar Majid wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 01:43 I didn't know you could review audio books! In fact I've never actually heard one, but I've always wanted to, and I might just start with this one. Post-apocalyptic books aren't really that fascinating to me, but when done well I do find them quite enjoyable. Congratulations on the great review!
This book could just as well be classified as action; there is definitely not a boring moment. This is one of the few audio books I've seen available for review. They don't come about often. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Gee-Ruth wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 03:16 Thanks for your honest review. I know there is no way i will listen to an audiobook, but i'm definitely reading this one.
It's also available in an e-book format. I checked on Amazon. I hope you enjoy it!
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Zephyr is out camping with his girlfriend Keiko when he finds her missing. The only thing left of her is her clothing. Where did she run off to and why would she have gone without her clothes? He knows he's going to get in trouble for losing her as he was supposed to be spending the night at a friend's house. Resigning himself to the inevitable, he races towards home hoping to bring others to help search for her. All that he finds is more empty clothes, bodies gone. Is this the Rapture? Alien Abductions? Where is everyone and how will he survive now?
Even though it's not an original concept, I still find this sort of plot appealing enough to read and explore the answers. Thanks for the recommendation!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Cecilia_L! It definitely is worth your time.
—Neil Gaiman
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

You write a compelling review! But it probably isn't something I would enjoy. End-of-the-world and graphic violence aren't quite for me.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

Audio book! that's interesting and i am willing to give it a try. I love the fact that the book is giving the audience an opportunity to fill in part of the plot, and i love that. Thanks for the good review.
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Not the most groundbreaking premise, but it's good to hear that the author put his own mark on the concept. I don't mind end-of-the-world stories or the grim tone of this one, but the unanswered questions would definitely leave me frustrated. I think I'd hold off to see whether the author comes through with a sequel. Thanks for this review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Dael Reader wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 20:38 You write a compelling review! But it probably isn't something I would enjoy. End-of-the-world and graphic violence aren't quite for me.
Yes, if that's not something that appeals to you, you'll definitely want to skip this one. Thanks for reading my review, though.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”