Official Review: Garbageman by Erik Dean

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Garbageman by Erik Dean

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Garbageman" by Erik Dean.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Garbage Man is an exciting fantasy thriller written by Erik Dean.

This is the best night of David’s life. His girlfriend, Julie, is awarded Graphic Artist of the Year in advertising and she just agrees to make him the happiest man in the world. On their way home, however, after taking a detour, the happy couple unknowingly enters the territory of a vicious, ruthless, and highly organized gang. David ends up with a hole in his head.

Luckily, a concerned stranger lurks nearby and calls for help. David is taken to the hospital where a brilliant neurologist uses a new drug on him. The drug is designed to promote the regeneration of damaged neurons. It saves David’s life and gives him a special ability to heal fast.

Sadly, probably due to the severity of his injury, David suffers from amnesia. Without any proof of identification, he doesn’t remember who he is, and how and why he got shot. However, the gang remembers David and the leaders will not allow him to live and testify against their crimes. So, shortly after David wakes up, he is attacked by gang members. He barely manages to escape his pursuers in a stolen ambulance but finds himself in the same gang’s territory. Just when his attackers are closing in on David, a huge creature covered in trash from head to toe comes to his rescue.

Told in the third-person perspective, this is a fast-paced and exciting book with eight chapters and epilogue. It depicts human depravity and perversion. It shows how wicked people relish inflicting pain and instilling fear on others. Similarly, the book portrays the resilience and tenacity of level-headed people; how they refuse to give up on life and go on living with nothing but a sliver of hope. Moreover, it illustrates the willingness of some individuals to lend a hand, to share what little they have, and even to put their own lives at risk to do what is right and necessary.

The author successfully keeps the story intriguing by revealing the identity and origin of the Garbage Man at the final chapters. This revelation gives the story an unexpected twist to the already exciting plot. The book is, basically, an easy read, with scenes described in graphic detail (including fighting scenes at the landfill which may gross out some readers), while dialogues are infused with humor, probably to give levity to an otherwise serious premise.

Needless to say, this is one enjoyable book. However, I find the dialogues unnaturally cheerful for a life-and-death situation, and the eye-rolling and jocular banters feel, somehow, inappropriate. Moreover, I would appreciate additional backstories on each character especially David. Though he is, undoubtedly, a good guy, there is not enough information to make it easy for readers to visualize him and relate with him. Finally, the ending felt a little rushed.

I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is exciting and suspenseful. I recommend it to fans of fantasy, crime, and thriller. However, scenes of violence, abuse, and gore may not be suitable for young readers.

Garbageman
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I did not expect this plot when I read the title, which is a very pleasant surprise! :lol2: This book sounds very interesting, and I would love to get my hands on this, despite the flaws you mentioned. Thank you for the great review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

I like your analysis of the human behaviour aspects and themes in this book, and this would interest me more than the fight scenes and action. A fast-paced book that keeps your interest is what I take away, so well-done on this review!
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I guess I'm still on the fence. I like a good thriller with unexpected twists. But I also prefer books with a well-developed main character. Your review leads me to believe David is a bit underdeveloped. I might pass on this one. But I enjoyed your review.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

daydreaming reader wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 20:09 I did not expect this plot when I read the title, which is a very pleasant surprise! :lol2: This book sounds very interesting, and I would love to get my hands on this, despite the flaws you mentioned. Thank you for the great review.
You're welcome and thank you very much. I hope you get a chance to read it.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 20:15 I like your analysis of the human behaviour aspects and themes in this book, and this would interest me more than the fight scenes and action. A fast-paced book that keeps your interest is what I take away, so well-done on this review!
Thank you very much. I enjoyed the book a lot.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Dael Reader wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 20:18 I guess I'm still on the fence. I like a good thriller with unexpected twists. But I also prefer books with a well-developed main character. Your review leads me to believe David is a bit underdeveloped. I might pass on this one. But I enjoyed your review.
Thank you. I enjoyed writing the review as much as reading the book.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

This is a great review. I love thriller, crime and anything related to it. From this review i guess i would enjoy this book, thank you for the review.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

fredrick otieno wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 01:41 This is a great review. I love thriller, crime and anything related to it. From this review i guess i would enjoy this book, thank you for the review.
Thank you very much. I hope you get a chance to read it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! David is not having good luck. He gets shot in the head, but that's not enough for the gang members. This one sounds a bit dark but very intriguing. I might just have to read on to find out what happens to David. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 07:48 Wow! David is not having good luck. He gets shot in the head, but that's not enough for the gang members. This one sounds a bit dark but very intriguing. I might just have to read on to find out what happens to David. Thanks.
Very intriguing, indeed. I hope you get a chance tor read it :)
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I'm super curious about the Garbage man, but I didn't read this one because I was afraid it would be cheesy. Sounds well done though.
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

I never thought that a book named Garbageman could sound so interesting. I'll definitely look it up. However, I can understand that not knowing David enough could make the story less appealing for some readers, but maybe you don't know David because David doesn't know himself? Due to the amnesia? Just a thought but I haven't read it so I could be wrong.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I thought this one would be interesting to me. I am always intrigued by crime thrillers that involve amnesia patients. However, the whole gang angle doesn't interest me. The garbageman sounds like an odd vigilante-sort. Quite the unique spin on a hero...
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I'm quite fond of science fiction that includes insane new medical advancement. I also find amnesia to be a really cool plot device in novels. I look forward to seeing how the mystery of the garbage man unfolds. It will be nice to see the kindness that contrasts the actions and intention of the gang.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”